News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Order/priority of restoration process

Started by bull, April 20, 2006, 10:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm about to get my '68 back from the body shop and I have a question for those who have done full restorations. In what order did you go about it, or does it matter? The plan that makes the most sense to me is: 1. body work, paint, glass and trim 2. K-member, front suspension and brakes 3. Wiring, engine and drive train detail and installation (engine to be installed from below with K-member) 4. Fuel tank and rear axle/suspension work 5. Grill restoration and installation 6. Interior 7. Wheels and tires 8. Start driving

AirborneSilva

Don't forget 9, take lots of pictures and post em as you go (well I guess that really doesn't have a number or it should be 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 etc...)

694spdRT

I built my own engine and recovered my own seats so those steps overlapped at times. The only other thing I did a little differently was that I waited until the car was pretty much complete before I had the final wetsanding and buffing done. I did this because of the likely chance of getting slight scrathces or marks in the buffed paint while installing the drivetrain, underhood items, bumpers, etc. 

Because you are installing the drivetrain from the bottom that should help out a lot in that respect. Don't forget to order parts ahead so that you have them before you need them. There are several times my car sat because of parts delays. Sometimes missing parts can hold up numerous other assembly steps so try to watch out for that too. Otherwise I think you have a solid plan.

BTW: Don't forget the exhaust system.  ;) 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi