News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My First Post

Started by BigCE, January 16, 2017, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigCE

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking on here for a few months, mostly reading through some of the longer build threads. I am amazed at the work some of you members are doing. :2thumbs:

A little about me, I'm 26 from Canada (Alberta) and ever since I can remember I have been fascinated with cars. Yep another DOH fan, always loved that car before I even knew what it was. I remember asking my step dad when I was watching the show as a kid what kind of car it was. He was a bit of a muscle car guy when he was younger and of course knew it was a 69 Charger. So from then on I knew some day I would have a Charger. I've grown out of wanting a GL but never grew out of wanting a 2nd Gen Charger.

As you guys are well aware these cars are not cheap. I have been "window shopping" for chargers basically since middle school, it was of course a pipe dream at that point but almost every day I would search eBay for 68-69-70 Chargers. I remember when the US economy collapsed and the prices of cars were extremely low, I remember because I was still in high school making minimum wage and I still couldn't afford to buy a car. In the years following I had noticed the values slowly climbing back to what they once were and now there as high as ever. So it would seem it would still be a long ways off before I could get a car.

With money being the biggest hurdle my other issue is location, there are almost zero old Mopars around in southern Alberta. We have "Kijiji" same idea as Craigslist (only better, lol it is actully...A Lot) and on Kijiji there are usually 0 maybe 1 charger for sale at a time from BC to Manitoba, however there are usually a dozen or so in Quebec and Ontario. Unfortunately they are usually crazy expensive (almost always much more $ than a comparable car in the US even when our dollar was closer to par) or they are rust buckets, because well Canada...snow..ice..salt.

May 2016, I was browsing Kijiji as I do most days, when I found a 70 Charger listed for $27,000. It had been on for about 4 hours and already hundreds of views, "Damn" I'm too late I figured. This car was in pretty good shape by looking at these pictures. Now to put this into perspective, currently for sale on Kijiji it was a rare time there were 3 Chargers for sale at the time, 1 was a 69 440 RT powertrain long gone and the car was an extremely rusty hull, basically he was selling the firewall with the RT Vin, he was asking $22,000, it also came with an almost equally as rusty parts car no vin. The 2nd car was another 69 Charger, that was a running driving car but it had some extreme bondo repair done at some time and the bottom half of the car was essentially falling off. He wanted $25k. So by comparison the price looked good.

Well I phoned the seller I was the second person he talked to and the first guy was on his way to look at the car. Long story short it was a young guy who was wasting the sellers time, didn't have the cash. I took the next day off work and drove 4 hours to see it. I have never owned a old muscle car and have never even been around anyone who has anything so I don't know much to look for. I have watched some graveyard carz though lol. I actually learned quite a bit from the show, I knew what fender tags were before but I had a better understanding now. I also learned to look for stamped numbers like in the rad support and the trunk, and also what the factory sound deadener spray looked like. This car had all of it, perfect tag/vin plate/door sticker, also has the original rad support and truck stamp. I knew the car had been repainted but from all indications it looked like all sheet metal was original and the car is almost completely rust free.

We made a deal and I picked it up the next day.

BigCE

Some pictures I took at the sellers house,

Loaded up on the way home,

Home, well at work technically.

My other money pit ::)

Sorry this was so long winded. I have some more questions about how to search for the cars history. Also I would like to give you guys my ideas and here your opinions on the car, but first i just wanted to introduce myself. So Hello again and thanks for taking the time to check out my car.

Mopar Nut

:wave:  Welcome aboard Chad!

Gorgeous Charger!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Baldwinvette77

Welcome, and nice car!  :coolgleamA:

darbgnik

What part of Alberta you from? Fort Mac here. I saw that one on kijiji as well. Was thinking it was priced to ggod to be in as good shape as the pics showed. It's good that you got it for that price, if it's as nice as you say! Your pictures look nicer than the sale pictures.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

JR

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

tan top

hello & welcome   ,  charger looks good  :yesnod:   ,  love the look of centerline/ American racing  type  wheels on a second generation  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

smithenhiven

Great looking car you got there, Congrats  :2thumbs:

ITSA426

69rtse4spd

Welcome also love center lines on Chargers. Nice looking 70, the other money pit, SS 454 truck, was it built in FT.  Wayne, Ind. at my plant. I think we built all the SS 454s back then. 

XH29N0G

Welcome very nice car. 

Look up the 1970 Charger registry, they may have information.

I went to school in Alberta in the early 90's and really enjoyed it. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

Welcome

Have a look at the 70 Charger registry also

http://1970chargerregistry.com/index.html
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Welcome!

Very nice car and looks like you got a good deal there.   :2thumbs:

You need a bigger tach tho'  :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

First thing I noticed was the N95 on Fender tag. Same as my car. Which means it was sold new or built to be sold in California with California emmisions. Might account for it being more solid then some other Chargers if it is indeed solid. Nice car. Congrats. LEON.

Dodge Don

You bought the car from Chad  :D

Yes please register with the 70 Charger Registry.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/

I do have some history on the car.
dodgedon@1970chargerregistry.com

BigCE

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 16, 2017, 09:08:15 PM
You bought the car from Chad  :D

Yes please register with the 70 Charger Registry.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/

I do have some history on the car.
dodgedon@1970chargerregistry.com

I'm Chad. Should be registered.

About the only history I know of this car is what you told me and the pictures you sent. Thanks again BTW. Wish I knew more.

I'll post some more info tomorrow.

marshallfry01

Nice charger!! Welcome aboard!!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Kern Dog

Nice score.
The XH29G0G decodes as a base Charger with the 318 built in St Louis. My guess is a build date in October 1969. I say this because my VIN has a higher number, built in 12-69.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Dino on January 16, 2017, 08:40:21 PM
Welcome!

Very nice car and looks like you got a good deal there.   :2thumbs:

You need a bigger tach tho'  :lol:

Nice Charger for it being your first 2nd gen.

Welcome aboard.

And yes that tach is annoying lol.

TPR

Looks like patience has paid off. Welcome aboard!
:2thumbs:

By the way, we like long winded stories. Especially ones which include correct spelling and proper punctuation as you have clearly displayed.
Ain't that right Kern Dog?
;)
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Kern Dog

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Congratulations on the purchase. I was 23 when I bought my first 70 charger 11 years ago. I didn't know what I was looking at and I got ripped off on ebay and was sold a 18K bondo bucket junkyard heap with a quick maaco paint job with a blown engine. I worked on it for 5 years and spent another 13k on it and never got it on the road and ended up selling it for 1/3 what I had into it. Yours looks like it doesn't need much. The XH cars are pretty uncommon. They don't have the padded upper door panels or the tail light trim. Good luck with the car!
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

70-500-SE-EXPORT

68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Challenger340

Good for you in finding what appears to be a pretty darn decent 2nd Gen example  :2thumbs: and within a $ range a guy can live with !

Whereabouts in Alberta you located ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

charger_fan_4ever

Nice ride.

If your ever looking to go back oem look inside im selling my complete automatic and console set up from my 70. Im in canada too.