News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Plymouth RoadRunner

Started by Bad B-rad, January 16, 2017, 11:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

I have the ability to trade a dodge truck I don't use for a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner,with no engine or transmission,but it was a 4 speed rallye dash car with a stripe and some kind of hood vents in it. The car needs work but it looks solid, It would be for my 14 1/2 year old son,as a father son project first car.
It has to be one of the ugliest Roadrunners next to the 75 and up kind,but its a Mopar Muscle and I am not rich were I can just buy him anything he wants.
I am a mechanic so to slap any run of the mill 318 or 360 in it with automatic isn't a big deal.
What is the value on a solid 73 Roadrunner? I will try and get pictures.And in 73 were they still big block only cars?(Maybe org 400)

Bad B-rad

340   4 speed  seafoam green originally

Bad B-rad

Not a Charger but the kid likes Roadrunners an 1982 era Trans am(Knight Rider style)

Nacho-RT74

I'd say $2000-2500

340 was in Charger a Rallye by default, so I guess a 340 on a Satellite would be a RoadRunner by default
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Bad B-rad

My Truck books for $5K even in poor shape. I had thought about pulling the 5.7 Hemi from the truck for myself then I saw this. So If its only worth $2K then I might be better off just buying it.

Dino

That's indeed not the best looking car. If he likes Trans Ams then why not get him exactly that? They're not too expensive and parts are cheap enough. Much better looking car as well. Building a KITT clone is not cheap, especially getting all that electronic interior stuff, but just getting that bumper and hood would make it look pretty sweet!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 16, 2017, 12:16:08 PM
My Truck books for $5K even in poor shape. I had thought about pulling the 5.7 Hemi from the truck for myself then I saw this. So If its only worth $2K then I might be better off just buying it.

is just an opinion. If it had the engine and transmission maybe could be on $5-7K. Once restored can be valued into $12-15K rate

Being a 340 makes a cool factor. So try to get a 340 for it could be nice

once again, just an opinion.

maybe more ppl would say something different?

70 sublime

If that car was in Canada and looks as good under side as top side it would get $4000 easy the way it sits if it has all the ownership papers
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nacho-RT74

I don't think is a bad looking car.

JR

That seems like a good solid car to build from. Your kid would learn alot from building it, and would probably respect of alot more after working with his own hands.

The flip side is, he probably would appreciate spending his free time hanging out with his friends and doing the other fun teenage stuff we all did.

I vote buy him a decent, reliable 3rd gen TA he can drive and modify as needed. That way he has something he likes, and doesn't have to spend all his time and money on a car he just settled for.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Bad B-rad

My son likes the Roadrunner and the Trans-Am, Its not that he LOVES one more then the other,My wife  once had an 82 Trans -Am and it was an ok car.
I don't have any problems with getting him a Pontiac, This just popped up. And I kinda think a RR is cooler then a Trans Am(but that's me not him). But to just do a black Trans -AM with the buldge hood and buy that bumper with that red swish thing would probably be cheaper then the Roadrunner.
My wife HATES the Roadrunner,she votes for the Trans-Am. I will have to talk to him about it more but as of now I think he doesn't care one way or another. Lot of thinking must be done,I kinda like if he got a Duster,or Roadrunner,any Mopar.
I was thinking a slant six Duster would be perfect, You just can't kill "the leaning tower of power". It is a great,simple engine to work on/learn about engines on.It's a Mopar, and will get ok fuel economy.
I bet you can find a Trans-Am with a low miles 305 OD auto in good shape for cheap.I think in stock form the transmission is the weak link for the T/A. But,god forbid in a wreck I would rather be in a Roadrunner or Duster.

Bad B-rad

Also The Trans-Am can't go ANYWHERE in the winter on ice or snow covered roads.

Dino

I didn't know the TA was worse on ice than a RR. I thought they would be comparable but you seem to know more about it than I do and safety would be a major concern to be sure. If you do decide on a TA, they are cheap but the 82 models with t-tops can get a little high because of the KITT thing. I don't like T-tops so personally I'd go with any 3rd gen TA, install the bulge hood and bumper, the tail panel black out piece, and paint the car a midnight blue metallic or something. Slap on some nice rims and done. I wouldn't want the red swooshy thing either though, I got a bit too old for that one.  ;)

cdr

3rd gen F body GM cars are some of the biggest PILES OF S__T ever built!!!!   :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ralley72

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 16, 2017, 12:09:14 PM
I'd say $2000-2500

340 was in Charger a Rallye by default, so I guess a 340 on a Satellite would be a RoadRunner by default
Correct, 340 only available with the Road Runner in 73 and 74.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Bad B-rad

Quote from: cdr on January 16, 2017, 03:07:58 PM
3rd gen F body GM cars are some of the biggest PILES OF S__T ever built!!!!   :Twocents:

I'am a MOPAR OR NO CAR kinda guy, (2003 Dodge 1500 4X4,1989 Jeep yj,1989 Jeep yj,1993 Jeep yj,1969 Dodge Charger,2016 Dodge Charger R/T,2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Duel rear wheel 4X4 Cummings six speed)but I am trying to get my son what he likes. Hopefully It will be a Mopar!!!

ralley72

Can't go wrong with a 73 Road Runner. I have one and I think its one of the best looking cars to come from the Chrysler Corp. From that picture you posted that car doesn't look like it needs much work to get it running and driving.
A few things to know:
1) finding good, usable replacement quarter panels are hard to find.
2) fenders almost impossible in usable conditions.
3) front grill, hard to find and expensive.
4) don't even start looking for a good trunk lid.
5) K members different between small block and big block.
6) most of the glass is interchangeable with 3rd gen Chargers.
If you don't buy this car, PM me cause I would be interested.

Mike

Nacho-RT74

I like the TA "Knight driver" generation, but as a first or main car I don't think so. Just as a toy to give some ride around like a bike could be. Honestly a B body Mopar is way comfortable and usefull to be a driver than a TA of those

Troy

That body looks solid so you'd be way farther ahead than a lot of guys on here. If you need quarters (or even patches) it could be a huge deal as I don't think there's much sheet metal available for those. I don't know about the availability of any other parts (interior, chrome, trim, etc.). I would also assume it's a small block originally. I cannot imagine that they are highly sought after so I'd be inclined to agree with the above: I doubt I'd go higher than $2,500 (but I pretty much hate those cars too so I probably wouldn't pay $500). There's some difference in the engine mounts/front end starting in 73 but it should be the same as the Charger so there's info here on fixing/upgrading. It should be a relatively cheap first car and it's a tank (but be aware that everyone else these days has ABS, traction control, backup cameras, and air bags). (EDIT: ralley72 posted while I was typing.)

I'd still pick it any day over an 80s Firebird. Horrible! There's a reason you never see them anywhere. Now, I'd take an earlier one - definitely early 70s or older but then the value goes up too.

Which Dodge truck are you thinking of trading? You know those Magnums and Hemis are a fairly easy swap into a Jeep... :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ralley72 on January 16, 2017, 04:00:12 PM
Can't go wrong with a 73 Road Runner. I have one and I think its one of the best looking cars to come from the Chrysler Corp. From that picture you posted that car doesn't look like it needs much work to get it running and driving.
A few things to know:

Mike

and all of those notes seems to be decent on this car, so no big headaches to make the resto.

I still vote for the RR getting a nice touched up 340/4 speeds setup like it was. Rallye wheels and I like even the factory color, although dunno what would be the original strip color

you can also make a Daisy Duke RR clone

Nothing great but just a cool factor, since doesn't have anything special but a stock look

Dino

Since it's a father/son project, would you not make the TA a better car by dropping in a modern EFI 350 and modern trans as well as upgrade the suspension and really have some fun with it? I wouldn't want to rebuilt anything made in the 80s back to stock. I don't see why either car can't be a reliable and solid driver.

70 sublime

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 16, 2017, 04:07:38 PM
A few things to know:

Mike

and all of those notes seems to be decent on this car, so no big headaches to make the resto.

I still vote for the RR getting a nice touched up 340/4 speeds setup like it was. Rallye wheels and I like even the factory color, although dunno what would be the original strip color

Nothing great but just a cool factor, since doesn't have anything special but a stock look

Pretty sure any guy would not want his first car to known in school as a Daisy Duke car  :P

Again father son project for a kid first car does not need a 340 set up in my opinion

I had a clone 73 RR for 7 years
My car was black with white stripe and white interior with a 360 auto set up

Did not know till many years after I sold it my oldest daughter wanted it and still wants one just like it (she will be 27 this year)
Many good times as we took the kids trick or treating in that car every year I had it for Halloween (we live out in the country)

marshallfry01

Quote from: cdr on January 16, 2017, 03:07:58 PM
3rd gen F body GM cars are some of the biggest PILES OF S__T ever built!!!!   :Twocents:

I couldn't agree more! Also the ugliest cars ever built.  :eek2:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Nacho-RT74

who would know is Daisy's car? Daisy's car is nothing more than a stock car ;) nothing that really identifies it ;)

Dino

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 16, 2017, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 16, 2017, 04:07:38 PM
A few things to know:

Mike

Pretty sure any guy would not want his first car to known in school as a Daisy Duke car  :P

Again father son project for a kid first car does not need a 340 set up in my opinion

I had a clone 73 RR for 7 years
My car was black with white stripe and white interior with a 360 auto set up

Did not know till many years after I sold it my oldest daughter wanted it and still wants one just like it (she will be 27 this year)
Many good times as we took the kids trick or treating in that car every year I had it for Halloween (we live out in the country)

Maybe you should buy it then!  ;)

Sucks when you read fast and miss certain words. I read "after I sold my oldest daughter"   :lol:

Bad B-rad

Besides the fact that I have schooled my two sons about all the important things in life, like The Dukes of Hazzard, Looney Tunes cartoons, Knight Rider, and the A-Team and who Mr.T is. I don't think most kids who turn 16 in one year know who Daisy Duke is,so no one will be breaking his balls about that.
I think he digs the Roadrunner because of the cartoon Bird,and because he knows Dad loves his Mopars.
After the body and brakes/front end/and what not as far as motor and trans I would prob go 5.2 or 5.9 magnum motor for the SMP EFI,and auto trans,and after he gets some miles under his belt and as long as he doesn't wrap it around a tree we can add what ever or build a 340 4 speed,or what ever.
As far as the Trans-AM I would def find one with a good body  and decent 305 auto trans, nothing to crazy, just something that is reliable.
I bet that body or interior parts that are 73,74 only parts are tough to get.

Dino

How many of these Runners did they make?

Kern Dog

Quote from: ralley72 on January 16, 2017, 03:47:32 PM
340 only available with the Road Runner in 73 and 74.

Uhhh....AND the Dart Sport, the Duster....

ralley72

Quote from: Dino on January 16, 2017, 08:31:39 PM
I don't have my little white book with me, but I seem to remember over 7,000 in 1973. That would include all available engine combos. I think most were 318 cars.
340 with 4 speed I'm thinking around 700, more likely less than that, so not very many.

Mike

TeeWJay426

340 was replaced with the 360 in '74.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 16, 2017, 12:09:14 PM
I'd say $2000-2500

Correct, 340 only available with the Road Runner in 73 and 74.

Mike
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Dino

Quote from: ralley72 on January 17, 2017, 07:46:26 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 16, 2017, 08:31:39 PM
I don't have my little white book with me, but I seem to remember over 7,000 in 1973. That would include all available engine combos. I think most were 318 cars.
340 with 4 speed I'm thinking around 700, more likely less than that, so not very many.

Mike

I guess not!

Thanks

73-Charger-Canada

I don't think there's any arguing that the RR is the cooler car. I'd like to give you my opinion, since I kinda own both cars. I have a 73 Charger (practically the same as the RR) and I have a 84 Camaro Z28 (practically the same as the TA). I bought the camaro when I was 19, and the Charger at 26 (28 now). The Camaro was hands down the easier car to find parts for, since my local pick-a-part had about 20 of them. The parts for the camaro were also generally less expensive than for the mopar. To all the people talking trash about the 3rd gen cars, yes, they are a little ugly BUT they are a fantastic car for some kid to learn about V8s (305s are cheap and plentiful) carburetors (prior to 86) and the basics of the front engine, rear wheel drive platform. Cheap and easy to work on, and nobody really cares if you break it. Easy to upgrade if he feels like it too. The other thing that is important is that the TA currently runs and drives correct? That would help with getting your kid into loving the car, since everything you do is visible right away, and it matters to put work in and get it done right, because that's your daily ride! My camaro ran and drove when i bought it (pretty reliable 305) and I ended up doing all the basic stuff over time (rad swap, steering components, heater core, struts/springs etc.) then in time built a 383 stroker with aluminum everything and hot cam etc. Long story not so short, I had a fantastic experience with my first car being a fairly reliable third gen GM, and I learned lots that helped me when I bought my 73 B Body which came much like your RR there, no engine, trans, etc. Just my two cents, I think either way he ends up with a cooler ride than all his buddies with Toyotas.

cdr

Quote from: 73-Charger-Canada on January 17, 2017, 10:50:05 AM
I don't think there's any arguing that the RR is the cooler car. I'd like to give you my opinion, since I kinda own both cars. I have a 73 Charger (practically the same as the RR) and I have a 84 Camaro Z28 (practically the same as the TA). I bought the camaro when I was 19, and the Charger at 26 (28 now). The Camaro was hands down the easier car to find parts for, since my local pick-a-part had about 20 of them. The parts for the camaro were also generally less expensive than for the mopar. To all the people talking trash about the 3rd gen cars, yes, they are a little ugly BUT they are a fantastic car for some kid to learn about V8s (305s are cheap and plentiful) carburetors (prior to 86) and the basics of the front engine, rear wheel drive platform. Cheap and easy to work on, and nobody really cares if you break it. Easy to upgrade if he feels like it too. The other thing that is important is that the TA currently runs and drives correct? That would help with getting your kid into loving the car, since everything you do is visible right away, and it matters to put work in and get it done right, because that's your daily ride! My camaro ran and drove when i bought it (pretty reliable 305) and I ended up doing all the basic stuff over time (rad swap, steering components, heater core, struts/springs etc.) then in time built a 383 stroker with aluminum everything and hot cam etc. Long story not so short, I had a fantastic experience with my first car being a fairly reliable third gen GM, and I learned lots that helped me when I bought my 73 B Body which came much like your RR there, no engine, trans, etc. Just my two cents, I think either way he ends up with a cooler ride than all his buddies with Toyotas.

I owned my 1985 Iroc z for 17 years & worked on car for a living since the early 80's, so yes I have the right to call a 3rd gen camaro,Ta, a big PILE OF POO, one of the BIGGEST pile of poo.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

73-Charger-Canada

ACUDANUT

Personally I think the 71-72 RR is the better option for a 2nd gen. They just look better. :Twocents:

TeeWJay426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 17, 2017, 01:39:35 PM
Personally I think the 71-72 RR is the better option for a 2nd gen. They just look better. :Twocents:

And like the Chargers, also more expensive.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

ACUDANUT

You get what you pay for. Money back plus, on these 71-72 years.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 16, 2017, 11:45:05 PM
340 only available with the Road Runner in 73 and 74.

Uhhh....AND the Dart Sport, the Duster....

meaning on Satellites... just on RR, not any other

ACUDANUT

Nacho, glad to hear from you. Hope your doing better. We love you.  :yesnod:

Bronzedodge

On the other hand, if you want your kid to be a hot rodder/car guy of some sort, the Pontiac has loads of ( affordable ) potential.  LS motor swaps are too easy with tons of aftermarket support.

Then again, if it was either of my daughters ( 11 and 13 now ) I'd hope for the Road runner to have more appeal than the Pontiac.  I'll be in your shoes in a few short years.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 18, 2017, 02:38:44 AM
Nacho, glad to hear from you. Hope your doing better. We love you.  :yesnod:

Not really, but have to live with it though... yet...

It seems some stuff can change to better soon, in my favor ( won't tell how "i know" that ). I hope so will become for real!

Thank for your words!

ACUDANUT

Nacho, If you ever want to come visit the real Midwest of the USA (Kansas) your welcome to stay with my family for a week or two.

sccachallenger

Lots of good advice here!
'73 not my favorite body style either, but hey plenty of pics of them on the track in USAC and Cup racing.
Personal experience, I think the '73- cars are among the best riding cars on rough, potholed roads.
Also Plymouth advertised a special "Road Runner 318" that year as the base RR engine, still a 2v carb, but dual exhaust and stiffer valve springs.
I think maybe a different HP and torque rating.
And many brand X guys don't understand how special 340 cars were/are!
Only offered in 2 door "sporty" cars, not trucks,vans,4 doors, or wagons, like the generals 350!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: sccachallenger on January 19, 2017, 10:28:04 AM
Lots of good advice here!
'73 not my favorite body style either, but hey plenty of pics of them on the track in USAC and Cup racing.
Personal experience, I think the '73- cars are among the best riding cars on rough, potholed roads.
Also Plymouth advertised a special "Road Runner 318" that year as the base RR engine, still a 2v carb, but dual exhaust and stiffer valve springs.
I think maybe a different HP and torque rating.
And many brand X guys don't understand how special 340 cars were/are!
Only offered in 2 door "sporty" cars, not trucks,vans,4 doors, or wagons, like the generals 350!

I don't think we all live with roads like this..
If you want a ugly 73-74 Buy it.
If you want Style and Looks, buy a 71-72.

To each their own.  :cheers:

70 sublime

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 16, 2017, 08:09:15 PM
Besides the fact that I have schooled my two sons about all the important things in life, like The Dukes of Hazzard, Looney Tunes cartoons, Knight Rider, and the A-Team and who Mr.T is. I don't think most kids who turn 16 in one year know who Daisy Duke is,so no one will be breaking his balls about that.
I think he digs the Roadrunner because of the cartoon Bird,and because he knows Dad loves his Mopars.
After the body and brakes/front end/and what not as far as motor and trans I would prob go 5.2 or 5.9 magnum motor for the SMP EFI,and auto trans,and after he gets some miles under his belt and as long as he doesn't wrap it around a tree we can add what ever or build a 340 4 speed,or what ever.
As far as the Trans-AM I would def find one with a good body  and decent 305 auto trans, nothing to crazy, just something that is reliable.
I bet that body or interior parts that are 73,74 only parts are tough to get.

Cars like this do not pop up everyday
So are you still trying to work out a deal on the car or are you going to pass ?

Bad B-rad

Waiting to hear back from owner of car, If he passes on the trade for my 2003 4X4  quad cab Ram then I may offer cash and just sell my hemi ram or use the motor for my son's Roadrunner(If we get it)
I think is asking price was $3500 so after I inspect car in person I can make an offer,again if he passes on a trade.

Going to inspect car this weekend. So most people agree this should be bought for $2000 or less Is that correct?

HPP

IMO, a high percentage of early licensed male drivers tend to hurt their first vehicles, even if they assist with the build effort. Are you willing to potentially sacrifice the RR to the car gods should your son have a mishap in it? I also wouldn't worry about a Daisy persona. I think that car was only used for part of an early season before she traded it on the white CJ.

In '85 I picked up a Z28 with a 305 HO, and a 5 spd. I installed a performance handling kit in it, and it was a blast to drive. This was after I parked my '68 Road Runner. No, it did not have the brute acceleration of the Plymouth. It did not have the torque and burn out capability, but it was a shit ton load of fun to drive and it didn't have to slow down for corners.  With snow tires on it it went everywhere my Plymouth went in inclimant weather, so, IMO, no diff there. 30 years since then, is there as much support for the F bodies, maybe not, but it is still a GM which means it is much friendlier to a high school budget in terms of parts availability and cost. But they did come with a lot of plastic in them and I bet a lot of that didn't weather the decades well.

Want to keep him all Mopar, then find him a late '90s Jeep Cherokee. They are plentiful, easy to find, easy to get parts for, and kids love modifying them. 4wd or awd and he has year round transportation. If he wads it up, get another one and swap all the cool parts over.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 19, 2017, 03:18:42 AM
Nacho, If you ever want to come visit the real Midwest of the USA (Kansas) your welcome to stay with my family for a week or two.

Thanks! Didn't know you were from Kansas. Funny! Kansas is allways calling me somehow!

On my Road trip from Cali up to Carlisle show back in 2008 barelly got close to a corner of Kansas by the I44

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 19, 2017, 11:13:57 AM

If you want Style and Looks, buy a 71-72.

I think this is the first time I could agreed with you on 71/72 cars LOL

however I don't think 73/74 are so badly ugly, just don't same nice like 71/72, but  still pretty much decent by those years where stilish began to change ( if not, tell to the Mustang guys )

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: sccachallenger on January 19, 2017, 10:28:04 AM

yes, same as Charger Rallyes, but still when you got a 340 it could be just on a RR, just like Charger Rallyes, so if you are a 340 owner on a B body, these are just Rallyes o RRs

and well, 360s by 74

ralley72

Sorry, I was way off on my remembering the numbers built. According to my little white book there were over 19,000 1973 Road Runners built. 340 4 speed it shows 956. 400 4 speed cars 749.
Those remaining  :shruggy:

Mike

Kern Dog

I would take a 71/72 Charger over a 73/74 but.....In the case of the Satellite, I'd take the 73/74 over the 71/72. I just do not like the front or rear styling of the 71/72 Road Runners, etc. They look tucked under from the headlights down, taillights down. Tapered too much like he bow and sides of a boat.

Bad B-rad

I have had a few things pop up that have delayed me from going to check out the car. I think the truck swap is off the table and it would just be a cash deal. I think he is asking $3000.00.
I have to fix the u-joint in my front axle on my 3500, and then I will drag my trailer and my lazy butt up state the 3 plus hrs to look at it.
I  hope it is as solid as it looks. The car is up past Binghamton NY. It may be on Craigslist if anyone gets to it before me so be it,all is fair in love, war and buying cars.
It's not the best looking Roadrunner, IMO and I think I like the 71-74 Chargers better then the Roadrunner of same years, but it's what my son wants, and if he likes it,and I like that he has an interest in the older Mopars.
It is also kinda cool that he has his own taste in these cars and just doesn't go along with what his old man likes. I can dig that.
At the end of the day, the 1973 RR, is not an ugly car, just my least favorite of the Roadrunners.(68-74RR's any way)
And also at the end of the day if we do get it I am sure he will be the only one at his school driving around in a Roadrunner. He hopefully will enjoy building it, enjoy learning about the history and how to make the repairs,and spending time with his dear old dad,LOL.
Also from what some people have said it is kind of a rare car,(org 340/4 speed) so maybe he will end up with a cool collectable car,and him and I can shoot out to car shows together.

Bad B-rad

If all else fails I could paint his Roadrunner yellow with a black strip, and paint my Charger orange with an "01" on the door, shave his legs and put him in short shorts,and  race around town playing the Dukes of Hazzard.

Dino

I too like that he knows what he wants and is not influenced by others. That's very cool.  :yesnod: Heck, I may not be a big fan of these cars but for the money you could certainly do worse! Here's hoping for a loaded trailer in your near future.   :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 24, 2017, 03:33:42 PM
If all else fails I could paint his Roadrunner yellow with a black strip, and paint my Charger orange with an "01" on the door, shave his legs and put him in short shorts,and  race around town playing the Dukes of Hazzard.

Or not!  :eek2:   :lol:

GOTWING

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 23, 2017, 10:54:24 PM
I would take a 71/72 Charger over a 73/74 but.....In the case of the Satellite, I'd take the 73/74 over the 71/72. I just do not like the front or rear styling of the 71/72 Road Runners, etc. They look tucked under from the headlights down, taillights down. Tapered too much like he bow and sides of a boat.

I just right the opposite!

EDITING: but I think you are right about the 71/72 Plymouth rear bumper and tail lights look.

RCCDrew

Here's one of my favorites. It's a rat, but has the perfect nostalgic stance. I drove a ragged challenger similar to this in high school.

Bad B-rad

Stance cool, side pipes and rear wheels not so much. But that's just me.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 24, 2017, 03:33:42 PM
I could paint his Roadrunner yellow with a black strip, shave his legs and put him in short shorts,and  race around town playing the Dukes of Hazzard.

I would advise against this. If the kid is destined to be gay, let him find his way on his own... :smilielol: