News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real HP numbers

Started by Bad B-rad, January 12, 2017, 05:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: odcics2 on January 15, 2017, 09:21:39 PM
Apples to oranges.  A 1/4 mile ain't much of a test!   Try 500 miles wide open!   :2thumbs:
Same basic 426 engines, just tuned for different applications.  :cheers:

I think the OP should buy a 340, build it stock and put it on a dyno.  :Twocents: 

The question wasnt which one lasted longer, just are the hp numbers legitimately possible. The nascar guys of the time said 600 hp was the basic limit to run 500 miles at 7000 rpm. The drag hemis were more then capable of running 800 hp back then and are beyond that today.

Bad B-rad

The 426 Hemi and the 340, definitely the 340 six pack in the AAR 'CUDA and Challenger T/A are the two Mopar engine I hear the most about the factory advertised numbers being UNDERRATED. They always say the 340 was underrated and same thing about the 426,that was my original question,ifthe factory numbers were correct or underrated as is almost stated.

Quote from: odcics2 on January 15, 2017, 09:21:39 PM

I think the OP should buy a 340, build it stock and put it on a dyno.  :Twocents: 

I only build big blocks  :nana:

ws23rt

It has been about 47 years since the 426 Hemi was last offered to the public in a car.
At some point we might just start calling it "old"  :slap:

We can move our ass in a car these days like the hottest cars did in 1970 and it is considered just a device for transport.

The 426 is a great part of mopar history-- and today it is just that.  Those of us that like to play with old cars will never stop liking them.  I am on of those.
I had a Hemi RR for many years and only felt its full power a couple of times. The car was a mess at 150mph.  --Do not try this at home with that body style-- :slap:
I have a hellcat challenger now and have yet to see 700 HP on the guage  (I have seen 600hp). :icon_smile_wink:

What I like to see these days at car shows are the real deal original hemi cars.  A clone car with a hemi should be on the street doing what they were made for. Reliving the past.

A12 Superbee

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 12, 2017, 05:55:58 PM
Also on the same thread it said that car and driver 1/4 tests had the 440 six pack(in the 69  Roadrunner 12.91@111mph) beating the 426 Hemi (13.4@107mph 1970 Roadrunner)in the 1/4 mile.  Is this also true, and was that because the 69 RR was stick vs the 70RR Hemi's auto? Both had 4.10 rears.

Its a well known fact A12 cars were faster than Hemi's down the 1/4 mile.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

Bad B-rad

Quote from: ws23rt on January 15, 2017, 11:18:29 PM

I have a hellcat challenger now and have yet to see 700 HP on the guage  (I have seen 600hp). :icon_smile_wink:

What I like to see these days at car shows are the real deal original hemi cars.  A clone car with a hemi should be on the street doing what they were made for. Reliving the past.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

A Honda is faster than a stock B body with a HEMI back in the day  :icon_smile_big: in the 1/4 mile

Bad B-rad

That's why I put NOS on my 383,and why I posted the questions about 383 or 400 compression ratio in the engine section here. Because once a Honda almost got me at the track,so I put on a 75hp shot. "Just in case"
The Honda has more gears,give me a 383 and same gears as a Honda and he will never touch me.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 16, 2017, 06:16:53 AM
A Honda is faster than a stock B body with a HEMI back in the day  :icon_smile_big: in the 1/4 mile

Sadly (or not so sadly), your basic V6 econobox today has more power than a stock small block or 383 of yesterday.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 16, 2017, 06:57:34 AM
That's why I put NOS on my 383,and why I posted the questions about 383 or 400 compression ratio in the engine section here. Because once a Honda almost got me at the track,so I put on a 75hp shot. "Just in case"
The Honda has more gears,give me a 383 and same gears as a Honda and he will never touch me.

What does a 5 speed trans have to do with it? 1 thru 4 are the same and a 4 speed charger. A 4 speed auto honda is the same as a 727. You are not tagging overdrive at the drag strip.

Bad B-rad

What does a 5 speed trans have to do with it? 1 thru 4 are the same and a 4 speed charger. A 4 speed auto honda is the same as a 727. You are not tagging overdrive at the drag strip.
[/quote]

A stock 727 has some wide gears,that two to three gears are far apart. and I still have to drive my Charger home from the track, so 4.10 on the highway at 75mph for 1 and a half hrs really suck. If MY Charger was a drag only car then ok I can run 4.30's and the Honda never gets me.

Give me five gears, so I can run a numerically higher, called lower rear end gear, and that way my gears aren't so far apart, I can stay in the power band longer(closer ratio)
So I may not be tagging OD. But OD lets me run deeper gears and still drive the car home not trailer it.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 16, 2017, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 16, 2017, 06:57:34 AM

you be surprised how many people more gears the better at the track even modern mopar folks (young ones inexperienced) claim 8 speeds is good for the 1/4 mile runs....claming they run through al 8.

birdsandbees

Yah  :icon_smile_big: Never even used 4th in my 'Bee in the 1/4. 2 shifts off the lights was enough in 13 seconds!  :hah:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

c00nhunterjoe

We run 2 gears in one of the race cars..... it doesnt get much further apart then that.

The tremec 5 speed conversions you reference are not meant to race. I cannot even begin to tell you how many i broke over the years speed shifting them.

Going from 4.10s to 4.30s will not be noticable at all. I ran 30s in my car for years and on a 28" tire it saw limited highway use. I did make several 200 mile trips up into the mountains via the interstate with it. She would hold 70 with no problem and get about 5 mpg doing it. The bigger problem is you think putting more gear in it will make it faster. It will not.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 16, 2017, 06:16:53 AM

?????
What Honda?
Your words are not specific enough. Might as well say....My car is so fast, no 'vette can keep up with it. The "vette" being a CHEvette.

Mike DC

Modern Hondas & stuff can be fast on the track but they don't feel faster.  The low/midrange torque isn't there.  And the badass sound of a hot V8 has a big psychological effect too.

Kern Dog

Hell yeah it does.
2 years ago the wife and I ordered a 2015 Challenger R/T. 3 weeks after we took delivery, I had to get it to a shop to do something about the QUIET ! Holy crap these new cars are quiet. I had them remove the mufflers and weld in straight pipes. The cars come with twin catalytic converters, mufflers and resonators. Now ours can be heard at idle and part throttle. Before, it sounded like a Tesla.

In my 2007 Ram, I added a Cold Air Kit and a Flowmaster muffler. The intake roar is annoying though. It reminds me of Quadrajet equipped GM cars with the air cleaner lid flipped over.   
MMMMMMMWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 17, 2017, 04:30:51 AM
Hell yeah it does.
2 years ago the wife and I ordered a 2015 Challenger R/T. 3 weeks after we took delivery, I had to get it to a shop to do something about the QUIET ! Holy crap these new cars are quiet. I had them remove the mufflers and weld in straight pipes. The cars come with twin catalytic converters, mufflers and resonators. Now ours can be heard at idle and part throttle. Before, it sounded like a Tesla.

In my 2007 Ram, I added a Cold Air Kit and a Flowmaster muffler. The intake roar is annoying though. It reminds me of Quadrajet equipped GM cars with the air cleaner lid flipped over.   
MMMMMMMWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

https://youtu.be/lPINTtGZAqo