News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

damnit....

Started by Khyron, April 20, 2006, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

I'm hooking up my new exaust and guess what. My gas tank is leaking.

I see them for $400. anyone know were to get one cheaper? Links? Price?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

71440charger

take it off and drain the gasandput jb weld on it and sand it down cant even tell it is there that is what i did or you can find one on e-bay for like $150
The Killer Cam

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71440charger on April 20, 2006, 07:54:52 PM
take it off and drain the gasandput jb weld on it and sand it down cant even tell it is there that is what i did or you can find one on e-bay for like $150

Yep, bought mine off e-bay for ~$150.00 from a company called Mustangs Unlimited.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Khyron

wait a min. will a road runner tank fit my charger????

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

dodge freak

If you do weld it you need to do more than drain it. It could still blow up , I have hear ed you should fill it with water all the way and drain it again. I do know some welders will still not touch it. How big is it and where is it? On the side on the seams or the bottom or near the top? They have at auto=zone repair kits that use a glue. I had one near the top because my tail pipe kept hitting it, that was 5 years old and it still is good, but if its the bottom or the seam get a different one. Gas tanks you don't mess around with.

mikepmcs

Gas Tank 1968-70 B Body Plymouth Dodge MoPar

Visit my eBay Store

New CR9 fuel tank for all 1968, 1969, or 1970 Plymouth Belvedere, Satellite, GTX, Road Runner; Dodge Coronet, Charger, R/T, Superbird, Daytona, Super Bee, and Coronet 500, except station wagons. If you win this auction, be sure to include CAR INFO with your payment!!! You are bidding on the correct tank to fit your application. Lock ring and gasket for sending unit included. Foreign purchasers will need to ask about shipping after auction
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Khyron

Quote from: dodge freak on April 20, 2006, 08:11:01 PM
If you do weld it you need to do more than drain it. It could still blow up , I have hear ed you should fill it with water all the way and drain it again. I do know some welders will still not touch it. How big is it and where is it? On the side on the seams or the bottom or near the top? They have at auto=zone repair kits that use a glue. I had one near the top because my tail pipe kept hitting it, that was 5 years old and it still is good, but if its the bottom or the seam get a different one. Gas tanks you don't mess around with.

thats what i'm afraid of. it seems to be around the seam though. a bunch of little needle sized holes. I think I would rather replace it. maybe one of those renew places?

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 20, 2006, 08:11:31 PM
Gas Tank 1968-70 B Body Plymouth Dodge MoPar

Visit my eBay Store

New CR9 fuel tank for all 1968, 1969, or 1970 Plymouth Belvedere, Satellite, GTX, Road Runner; Dodge Coronet, Charger, R/T, Superbird, Daytona, Super Bee, and Coronet 500, except station wagons. If you win this auction, be sure to include CAR INFO with your payment!!! You are bidding on the correct tank to fit your application. Lock ring and gasket for sending unit included. Foreign purchasers will need to ask about shipping after auction

I see that, but the RR and charger take different tanks. so is this guy selling tanks for all tose cars? The Charger fill spot is of course in a different location.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

71440charger

NO NO NO!!!   JB weld the putty that hardens like metal then sand thatit is what i have done and itis stronger then the tank it self not actually weld it i would not recommend that sorry for notbeing clear
The Killer Cam

Bandit72

Quote from: 71440charger on April 20, 2006, 08:55:09 PM
NO NO NO!!!   JB weld the putty that hardens like metal then sand thatit is what i have done and itis stronger then the tank it self not actually weld it i would not recommend that sorry for notbeing clear

i fixed the gas tank on my ltd this way and it worked fine for me...

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Khyron

you know. it may be worth the try. after all. It can't be any worse. When I get teh car back. I'll drop the tank.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

71440charger

the tubes of JB weld are like $4 at autozone
The Killer Cam

haueter66

jb weld is good stuff.  I fixed a cracked 4-wheeler engine case once and it worked like a charm!

TylerCharger69

JB Weld  works great!!!   just make sure to clean the surrounding areas really good to get good adhesion.   BUT.....if you want a new one....ebay  usually has new ones for cheap...or else  you can go to Texasacres.com...they have new and used ones there...and maybe some other stuff that may interest you

Troy

New tanks are NOT expensive. I got mine from MoparMadness here on the board but Mustangs Unlimited on eBay has good prices too. I'd rather start with a new one than keep patching an old one every time it springs a leak. Of course, I hate anything that leaks - it's probably the most annoying part about owning a car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

Why fix a 30 year old tank?  Scraping up enough money to get a new one is the only way to go.  It's safer for you and better for the car; think of how clean your fuel supply is going to be...

mopar-or-no-car

I see I am a little late on this one but I am pretty sure a radiator shop will clean out the old one fix the leak and seal the tank? at least out here in californial they will that is what I had done to my tank and it cost me like $60.00 and boy did it look great when I got it back!! check around and see!!  Sure beats that JB weld stuff I have had NO luck with that stuff!!
Real WOMEN drive MOPARS!!!!!

Khyron

:lol:

ummm, I already fixed it ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Challenger340

I believe this has been on here before ?

In case not,
fuel tanks are manufactured for many of the older applications, then sold to such companies as year-one, etc.,  by a company called "Spectra Premium Industries",
operating with various Canadian and U.S. manufacturing/warehousing locations continent wide.
I don't believe they sell direct "retail" per se.

Check with your local Engine Machine Shop who is an E.R.I. member in Canada, or A.E.R.A. in the U.S., as most of them will be "direct" with Spectra as part of those buying groups.
I know my "cost" as a "WD" for tanks, is around the $175 mark Canadian, however I AM NOT interested in marketing/selling.

Check with your local shop, who you do business with, and see if they'll order for you from Spectra.

Bob out
Only wimps wear Bowties !