News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I put a Street Demon 750 on my "stumbling" 440

Started by 74Rallye, July 25, 2014, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger jUNkiE

Curious:  I'm in the process of putting a Street Demon on my 440 as well.  How or what did you do to get around the linkage issues?  It seems there is some spacing difference between the Carter AVS and the Street Demon.  I have a stock intake and stoke linkage for an automatic.  Could you post any pics of how you set it up. 

thanks in advance

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on July 27, 2014, 10:34:26 AM
I am going to ditch my Eddy and go with a quick fuel or Holley knock off as well. The idle circuit has little adjustment and my 68 suffers from the "Stumble" as well. Can't wait but no $ right now but can I ask how much yours was ??

You got it wrong. demon is a knock off (copy) of a Holley.

Brass

Quote from: Charger jUNkiE on December 12, 2016, 12:19:01 PM
Curious:  I'm in the process of putting a Street Demon on my 440 as well.  How or what did you do to get around the linkage issues?  It seems there is some spacing difference between the Carter AVS and the Street Demon.  I have a stock intake and stoke linkage for an automatic.  Could you post any pics of how you set it up. 

thanks in advance

You might need the 20-7 adaptor:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/parts/20-7

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-7?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-holley&gclid=CKz2yv3A79ACFUpNfgodcLQFwg

Charger jUNkiE

The Street Demon actually appears to be a knock off of a Thermo Quad and or AVS/AFB.  same metering rod set up and secondary flapper door and phenolic center bowl.  I've got the carb stud.  It just seems like the carb spacing is different then stock.  I think you said yours was a 4 speed so that changes a lot.  I was just curious if you had to modify  the height/angle of the cable bracket or offset it. 

thanks

411Liner

I have two "survivor" Charger R/Ts, a 68 and a 69.  To preserve the original carbs I took them of and run 750 Street Demons on them (driver carbs!).  I drilled the mounts and made the stock throttle stud fit.  Used sandwich spacers up to about 1/2 inch to get the choke adjustment screw to clear the manifold.  They run great but I can't get the kickdown linkage adjusted right to make them shift correctly.  I think I'll have to modify the mount location of the throttle stud, or build or modify an existing throttle lever to relocate it.

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Charger jUNkiE on December 12, 2016, 03:47:34 PM
The Street Demon actually appears to be a knock off of a Thermo Quad and or AVS/AFB.  same metering rod set up and secondary flapper door and phenolic center bowl.  I've got the carb stud.  It just seems like the carb spacing is different then stock.  I think you said yours was a 4 speed so that changes a lot.  I was just curious if you had to modify  the height/angle of the cable bracket or offset it. 

thanks

Demon appears to copy two different brands then..
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Demon-5282010GC-Mighty-Demon-Carburetor-650-CFM-,144191.html?sku=4255282010GC&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CLTyiZTE5tECFROewAodwT8BBQ

moparchris

Most of the off-idle stumbling problems with the Carter/Edelbrock carbs are traced back to an incorrect spring tension rate on your metering rods.  Your springs are too weak for your vacuum signal and the rod is sunk into the jet orifice.  Stronger springs push the rod up exposing more of the jet, hence more fuel through the circuit. :Twocents:

FY1 Charger

I have a eldbrock 650 cfm carb on my 383 roadrunner. Engine is pretty much stock and the car is hesitating and stumbling on acceleration and can barely idle when in park. Could this be a spring problem then?
Quote from: moparchris on January 29, 2017, 06:37:59 PM
Most of the off-idle stumbling problems with the Carter/Edelbrock carbs are traced back to an incorrect spring tension rate on your metering rods.  Your springs are too weak for your vacuum signal and the rod is sunk into the jet orifice.  Stronger springs push the rod up exposing more of the jet, hence more fuel through the circuit. :Twocents:

41husk

I am going back to the original AVS on my 440.  My eddy has the same stumbling action :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up