News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Master Power disc brake conversion - low pedal

Started by timmycharger, January 01, 2017, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I bought the front disc brake conversion kit about 13 years ago and last year I finally got the car running and don't really like how low the brake pedal is.  I know I have seen pictures of B body cars with 4 speeds that appear to have a lower pedal but I still feel its too low for my liking. The kit came with 2 of the bars shown that pass through the firewall and bolt onto the pedal arm. The other side hooks to the booster linkage.

Does anyone know if a longer bar exists than the ones in the kit? I couldn't find anything on their site and the stainless steel brake co has similar ones too. I suppose I could weld an extension to the length I want but just seeing if anyone has any experience with this.

469 runner

Like I said on Moparts on this subject.  This made in China, one size fits all kit is a compromise at best. Return it, sell it, give it to an enemy.  Get yourself a B-body Bendix Booster, the correct bellcrank linkage, the support plate, and you will be very happy, your car will be safe, and will look and function the way it was supposed to.  Let the Chevy morons use this Masterbater crap.

timmycharger

Quote from: 469 runner on January 05, 2017, 11:44:20 AM
Like I said on Moparts on this subject.  This made in China, one size fits all kit is a compromise at best. Return it, sell it, give it to an enemy.  Get yourself a B-body Bendix Booster, the correct bellcrank linkage, the support plate, and you will be very happy, your car will be safe, and will look and function the way it was supposed to.  Let the Chevy morons use this Masterbater crap.

I will likely not be removing the discs, valve, booster, calipers, etc on my car at this point given its taken me 15 years to reach this point  ;)  and receive 1/4 of what I paid.

I will give it a chance, I am the type of person that has to experience something for myself vs. what someone else says, no offense to your comments, I welcome all feedback.

I called MP and they are going to send me a bar that's 7.2 inches center to center vs. 6.6 that mine is. That should give me more pedal height at rest.

469 runner

The Master Power kits generally use Mopar stuff at the wheels. Rotors, Calipers, etc... Good stuff.  It is the booster and master cylinder that I couldn't use. I couldn't get enough braking power at all.  I had plenty of vacuum at 17-19" . Good Luck.

timmycharger

This is good to know, If in the future I am not happy with the braking performance, I will consider putting the factory stuff in there.  From just a few shakedown runs so far, the braking power seemed ok and I have nowhere near the amount of vacuum you are getting as with my Mopar 484 cam, I am hovering around the 10-11" range. I am using a supplemental vacuum canister to try to help. 

Derwud

Quote from: timmycharger on January 06, 2017, 08:11:14 AM
This is good to know, If in the future I am not happy with the braking performance, I will consider putting the factory stuff in there.  From just a few shakedown runs so far, the braking power seemed ok and I have nowhere near the amount of vacuum you are getting as with my Mopar 484 cam, I am hovering around the 10-11" range. I am using a supplemental vacuum canister to try to help. 

Yeah, you are fighting a loosing battle with vacuum and that cam.... I am going Hydro-boost because of the issues I had back in the day with that combo..

I need to make an adjustable rod for my booster because of pedal height.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Dino

Quote from: Derwud on January 06, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on January 06, 2017, 08:11:14 AM

Yeah, you are fighting a loosing battle with vacuum and that cam.... I am going Hydro-boost because of the issues I had back in the day with that combo..

I need to make an adjustable rod for my booster because of pedal height.

I'm going to have to do the same, and make a pushrod between mc and booster.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bad B-rad

I had this kit on a 66 Charger that I built in 2002. And I had same issue,they sent me a longer rod like is in your photo. I also got the rear disc conversion with drilled and slotted rotors(front and rear) and it made it stop a lot better then the manual drums, but it didn't work as well as I thought it should. And back then the front was $1200 and the rear was $900. and worst of all my kit used GM parts. I think they made the spindle,and the front rotors and calibers were from a firebird and I am not sure about the rear. I may still have that extra bar,I will look because I also sold a few of those kits and did the install, so I knew to order that bar, I will look tomorrow. I was not impressed with that kit at all but back then they did not have a kit using Mopar parts,you had to make it yourself and a lot of guys were using the 74 Charger parts and I think even though they worked that the spindles were different then for the older B-Bodies.
Side note in 3-5 months time I ordered 4 to 5 of there front brake kits,at around $1200 plus tax, and on the last kit, I had some issues that there were not willing to make right,so that also pissed me off.
Anyway I did have the low pedal and a longer bar(they may have called it a z-bar,and not the clutch one,this is a master power brake only part)fixed it,and I may have one I will check tomorrow for you.

Bad B-rad

I think they also have a white nylon bushing that presses into that bar, and its a tight as fit.

Bad B-rad

timmycharger

Thank you for checking, I should be all set. they sent me a slightly longer bar that came in a few days ago. I plan on putting it in this weekend if I have time.

Bad B-rad

Cool,thats  exactly what was wrong with mine, not sure why they don't just include the longer one to start?

Bad B-rad

Did you get your new, longer part, installed and if so is your brake pedal better/where it should be?

timmycharger

I did get it in, mocked it up but now it seems too high for my liking. I got one that is 7.2 vs. the 6.6 inch one I had, If they had one that was 6.9 or 7.0, it probably would be perfect. I am considering modifying one of the ones to try it out but have not decided yet.

Bad B-rad

Sorry to hear that it's not to your liking, sucks to spend that kind of money and be un-happy with results. After I did the 4 wheel disc conversion kit on my 66,like under 1,000 miles I put in a BUILT 440, and it didn't have enough vacuum to run the booster as well as it did with the mostly stock 383 it replaced. I didn't have the extra cash to get a vacuum pump at the time so I just dealt with it.
I have sold my car with the master power brake kit you have, so let me continue to look for that part, I did have one or two of them and if I find them you can have them to modify that way you can get it the way you want, and still have the stock parts if need be.
Give me one more day before you cut anything, and I will hit you back even if I can't find it just so you know where you stand.

timmycharger