News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where did you get your modern Hemi?

Started by 2Gunz, December 31, 2016, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Im possibly going to put a modern Hemi in my Charger.

Where did you get yours?

How Much was it?

Thanks Guys!

lukedukem

I don't have an answer, but I'm curious about it as well, I might make the switch one day.  I have done research on this and I am close to houston and they have big yards with hemi engines and depending on the size and mileage the price varies. Have you tried local yards, I don't know your location. What size do you think you'd go with cause that will deter main cost. I do know one thing. If you go into A yard and ask for a hemi engine, try to have a vehicle model ready, if you tell them it's for a old mopar resto mod, the price goes up. I have seen this first hand. That's why I'm not shopping for an engine in my home town.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

2Gunz

Good points

Im in LA.

There are a number of places here as well.

For the reasons you mentioned Im actually trying to avoid going into one.

Im hoping to order online, or find somebody here that has the "hookup".

Im also thinking about buying an entire wrecked car if its cheap enough and pulling it myself.

Hopefully somebody here has a great answer.

John_Kunkel

My local Pick n Pull yard charges $170 for any injected engine with a $50 core charge...Hemis included.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Saw this ad posted in our local classifieds ( Canadian money)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/london/5-7-hemi-engine-only-53000kms-gen-1-engine/1227731477?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Date Listed   30-Dec-16
Price   
$3,100.00
Address   Strathroy, ON N7G1X2
View map
Make   Dodge
53000 kms on engine. Can be seen running.
Fits 2005 -2008 300C, Charger, Magnum, Jeep even Ram.
Originally from Jeep Grande Cherokee. Upgraded to late model valve covers and coils. ( original valve cover and coils included )
Bell housing, starter & accessories are not included in price but are on engine so it can be run.
Was to be used in older Mopar but plans have changed!
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

lukedukem

I found a 2006 Chrysler 300 close to me with a 5.7 for 5500 bucks, for the whole car. Not wrecked either. But it has about 100k on the clock. Loaded car too. Just not sure about the mileage.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Ponch ®

Cleveland Pick A Part has "turn-key pallets", the price varies (ie. A hellcat drivetrain is $22k, an 07-08 6.1 is a third of that)
http://www.clevelandpap.com/product-category/engine-packages/

Otherwise, ive seen places on craigslist that sell reman and guaranteed motors for $3-4k.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

2Gunz

Good Leads thanks guys.

John where do you live?

1940?   :laugh:

Ponch ®

Quote from: 2Gunz on December 31, 2016, 08:37:46 PM

Good Leads thanks guys.

John where do you live?

1940?   :laugh:

Haha.

Nah man..the "el pulpo" pick your part  junkyards in L.A. will charge about $200-300 plus core for a motor. Thing is, while they do get a lot newer mopars (LX) in their inventory, theyll likely be the earlier 05-09 models, and most will be V6s. You occasionally will find a Hemi, but itll be a 5.7...6.1-6.4s never make it to the yards.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

c00nhunterjoe

Dont know why everyone shys away from the 5.7 in hunt for a 6.1. My 07 5.7 charger weighed 4400 lbs and went 13.21 on stock tires and 2.82 gears with a 100% stock engine.

Troy

I sold a 2006 5.7 Hemi to a member in CA a couple years ago that I yanked out of a yard here in Ohio with 31k miles on it for $1,100. No accessories or wiring. I haven't checked prices lately.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lukedukem

For the guys who know the modern Hemi or have experienced them, what mileage on the odometer do you guys think would be to much for them to consider a swap. That car I found had 100k on the clock, but is that too much.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mike DC

Seems like the bottom ends of most modern engines are good for 150,000+.  But you're rolling the dice on all the externals (sensors, pumps, starters, compressors, etc) much earlier.   

Ponch ®

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 31, 2016, 11:17:25 PM
Dont know why everyone shys away from the 5.7 in hunt for a 6.1. My 07 5.7 charger weighed 4400 lbs and went 13.21 on stock tires and 2.82 gears with a 100% stock engine.

I wouldnt shy away from it (as i mentioned in the other thread, ive owned three 5.7 cars with no engine issues). Its definitely a solid, reliable motor. But if i was gonna go through the trouble of doing the swap, id try to go with the one that has more power out of the box.  At that point, the $ is not that much. Its kinda like the age old debate that pops up all the time in the context of the older motors: "why build a 383 when building a 440 costs the same?"

Then again, if I was looking to undertake this project and came across a really good deal on a 5.7 - especially a later 370 HP Eagle version, Id be all over it.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

2Gunz

Thanks.

Ive never attempted to get a full motor/trans from a yard, just random parts.

Are they pretty reasonable or am I going to get nickel and dimed for everything?

The cost here.  Place has bad reviews thou lol.
Engine Package Fuel Injected    $230.61   core +$65.00

Mike DC

A bigger motor from the factory has the potential for an even bigger increase if you stroke it. 

IIRC the original size difference between the modern Hemis is in the bore diameter.   

70B5Cuda

I've parted out over 40 6.1L SRT8s and a couple 6.4s. I part about 6-8 per year. But I don't ship engines....so if you want to make a trip to Kansas, PM me. I usually sell complete 6.1s for between 3700 and 5500 depending on mileage.

Ive rebuilt 6 SRT drivers and I've got 7 old mopars that I want to install modern hemis in....that's how I got into it...
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

2Gunz

Thanks Cuda Im still a long way from pulling the trigger on anything, but thats not entirely out of the question.

RamZCharger

Check out Modern Muscle - https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/.  This will be for new crate engines and go fast parts, pricing is listed.  Dave Webber is your guy here.  I bought my complete 6.4 from him, very cool to deal with.  They also supply the stand alone engine management computer and tune should you only require electronics after purchase of a salvaged engine.  If you have any install questions let me know or check out my build thread.  This is a nice way to go.

Ponch ®

Quote from: RamZCharger on January 04, 2017, 02:52:24 AM
Check out Modern Muscle - https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/.  This will be for new crate engines and go fast parts, pricing is listed.  Dave Webber is your guy here.  I bought my complete 6.4 from him, very cool to deal with.  They also supply the stand alone engine management computer and tune should you only require electronics after purchase of a salvaged engine.  If you have any install questions let me know or check out my build thread.  This is a nice way to go.

Damn, that 5.7 crate for $5k doesnt seem bad at all.