News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lowering rear end

Started by Silver R/T, December 28, 2016, 01:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Anyone lower rear end of 68 Charger. Do I need to install leaf spring mount relocation brackets?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68ChargerJMP

No, that wont lower it at all. You can flip the front hanger, use lowering blocks or get lowered leaf springs.

Kern Dog

I used a 1 inch lowering block in mine.
Before, I had a modified spring hanger in the front. The trouble with those is that they alter the pinion angle in a negative way.
If you want to retain the existing stiffness of the spring but still want to lower the car with no ill effects, you can take the springs to a dedicated spring shop. They place them in a hydraulic press and flatten them, also known as "de-arching". That is probably the safest and best way to go.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 29, 2016, 12:53:37 AM
Before, I had a modified spring hanger in the front. The trouble with those is that they alter the pinion angle in a negative way.
If you want to retain the existing stiffness of the spring but still want to lower the car with no ill effects, you can take the springs to a dedicated spring shop. They place them in a hydraulic press and flatten them, also known as "de-arching". That is probably the safest and best way to go.
So 1inch lowering block to lower 1 inch, is that how it works?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

garner7555

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 29, 2016, 01:01:57 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on December 29, 2016, 12:53:37 AM
So 1inch lowering block to lower 1 inch, is that how it works?

Yes,  A lowering block between the rear axle and the spring will result in the same amount of drop as the size of the block. 
1" block = 1" lower
2" block = 2" lower
12" block = major problems  :lol:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Highbanked Hauler

I flipped the front hangers and put in one in. blocks on mine now if I hit a hard bump it will bottom on the pinion snubber. I have a nice shinny spot on the body where the rubber hits it. :lol:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog

Quote from: garner7555 on December 29, 2016, 07:08:49 AM

Yes,  A lowering block between the rear axle and the spring will result in the same amount of drop as the size of the block. 
1" block = 1" lower
2" block = 2" lower
12" block = major problems  :lol:

Yeah... the same troubles arise when going the other way...HUge stacks of lift blocks on a 4wd. Imagine the result with lots of power instantly applied....KaBOOM !

ACUDANUT

Raise it, not lower it. Cheech and Chung days are over.

alfaitalia

Lol...why would you want to do that and raise the c of g on an vehicle with already poor handling by today's standards (well..as they left the factory at least) .....unless you want to fit silly huge wheels/tyres or have a very strange idea of what looks right on a Charger?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 29, 2016, 06:16:24 PM
Raise it, not lower it. Cheech and Chung days are over.
????

The 70s are long over too. A car that sits at stock height or a little lower will handle better, stop better and look great to me.

garner7555

Yes, lower is better.   Air shocks are out of style!   :smilielol:   :lol:   :smilielol:   :lol:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Lennard

It's more functional when it's up high in the sky! :punkrocka:

ACUDANUT

I never said make into a 4x4.  Make it Ghetto. It's your car. :Twocents:

Lennard

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 03, 2017, 01:18:47 PM
I never said make into a 4x4.  Make it Ghetto. It's your car. :Twocents:
:lol:

Kern Dog

There used to be a time when people wouldn't leave their homes without looking presentable. You never saw people in the store dressed in a robe or flipflop shoes. Somewhere along the way, some people just lost all sense of pride in themselves. Take a few glances at the aisles in any Wal Mart. I'm not just talking about the grossly overweight but the people that have totally abandoned any semblance of modesty, pride or fashion sense.
This has also affected the classic car hobby. Remember when you rarely ever saw a high end car on the street with any visible damage? Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I never saw any Corvette with a primer spot. I never recall seeing a BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar with any damage either.
The entire rat rod culture has convinced some that it is not only okay to drive some ratty piece of shit on the road but it is COOL and trendy. ????
I am happy to see neglected cars in the hands of people that want to drive them. Maybe some of these guys are really short on cash?? I am not some concourse restoration snob but I see some really shady looking "repairs" here and there.
A person should have the right to fix up their car in any manner that they want. If the car is reasonably safe sitting a bit over or under stock height, who has the right to oppose that?
A 4x4 Charger? I hate seeing those. Ugly, useless and pointless. The cars are worth too much to be treated as a joke.
These are not laws, just opinions. I like big wheels, a lowered stance and factory appearing exteriors. Others may not. I'm cool with that.

Mike DC

QuoteThe entire rat rod culture has convinced some that it is not only okay to drive some ratty piece of shit on the road but it is COOL and trendy. Huh?

There was more social pressure against using dented & primered cars back when it didn't cost 2 month's rent to have any minor dent repaired.  That's literally about what it is now.  Sometimes worse if much of anything is broken (on these plastic-everything modern cars).  I saw a modern sedan (Infinity?) in a scrapyard the other day and the entire radiator support area of the unibody was plastic.  Good luck repairing that thing's front end in any way without dropping several thousand bucks.  

The rat-rod movement is a natural reaction to the fact that getting paint/boy jobs on these rusty 30+yo cars is costing what people want to spend on the entire project.  5-figure paint/body jobs are very common now.  

It's pretty bad if you are a young guy starting out.  These days the price of buying the paint/body materials (not the whole job) is in the low 4 digits.  Some of their entire cars are barely worth that much.  If they did it 'correctly' they would never get anything built in the first half of their lifetime.  The hobby would have little future if that was the only acceptable way to do anything.