News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 500 Value/Fair Price

Started by dubsesda3, December 15, 2016, 07:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubsesda3

Hey all, new guy here- *hopefully* to stay. Growing up my dad had a '71 SE and him letting me steer it around the property cemented the 3rd gen into my heart forever.
I found this Charger 500 about 3 hours away from my house and drove out to look at it today. As advertised it is an AZ/CA car and it shows. There is ZERO rot on the car and the only substantial damage is to the passenger side fender (his wife backed into it, he filled and primered it). This car has clearly never been in an actual accident as the body lines are straight as can be.

The fender tag tells me that it used to have a full white vinyl top. The respray is an old/bad one and there is filler built up along where the stainless trim would be to hold the top down. We scraped some away and verified that there is no rot present there as well. It's a 318 car and runs, shifts, and rolls very well. He uses it as a driver 2-3 times a week. This is PERFECT for me.

The seats, headliner, and trim panels have been recovered and are in great shape. The panels only need to be installed. The carpet is new and having lifted it I can confirm that there is no floor rust or rot.

I'm supposed to be heading up on Sunday to pay for it and trailer it home. Before I make a bad decision, is this thing worth the $6000 he's asking? It was explained to me that he bought it for $5500 6 years ago and has since kept it running and driving. He had nothing to do with any exterior work but is responsible for the interior refresh.
I have a lot more info on the car, just ask and I'll respond. Thanks!!! :cheers:

XH29N0G

You will get all sorts of responses.  My thinking is that if it is in the range you are happy with that it is a decent deal.  Maybe you could haggle or in another world get something for less, but the question is how much less and how likely is it. I would go for it and don't look back and second guess what could happen.  If after thinking about it, a different price sits better with you, bring it up.  You will inevitably find a lot to do with it and a lot of work.  More money will inevitably also be needed.  I would try to figure out as much as possible about the car and about any filler that might be hiding something.  I do not know the magnet approach, but would look into that.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Fitz73Chrgr

Sounds like you've already agreed to the $6k price. 

If that be the case, I don't think the price is out of line and if it really is exactly what you're looking for, then that fact has value as well. 

As XH stated above, there will be unanticipated expenses.  As long as you realize the investment will be much higher with time, go for it. 

3rd Gens are awesome  :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

dubsesda3

We haven't agreed on a price yet, and I think he's assuming $6000 is the price he's getting. I'll give him that since I've bought and sold many cars in the past, but I also realize that a price given on the internet is ALWAYS up for negotiation. I actually ran a magnet around the lower fenders and rear quarters as well as the entire body line. It's clean and the only filler he didn't have a hand in was the roof.

hemi-hampton

Price sounds steep to me, but I don't know much about 71 318 Chargers.   :scratchchin: :shruggy: LEON.

polywideblock

fe5 /white roof and xw interior  :scratchchin:  would look great restored ,is that cruise I spy as well

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

70 sublime

When you say this

He had nothing to do with any exterior work but is responsible for the interior refresh.

means to me he does not know (or telling) what might be under the primer so not his fault when you find it so blame it on the previous owner  ;)

What colour was it originally ?
I see that is all hid with primer in the pictures shown so I will guess gold or dark green or brown ?
That makes a difference if you want to restore it to the fender tag options since it still has original motor if you are heading that direction
Hope you looked at all the frame rails etc under the car and inner fenders

How long has it been for sale ?
The longer time the better the chance for a lower price

Still can be a fun car for your reason of why you like them but it will cost you $$ in the end to get all that you want
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

dubsesda3

Yes, it is an original cruise optioned car. We scraped some filler away from the window rails and it is truly clean underneath. I'm not sure if the engine is numbers correct or not, and I'm not entirely sure how to confirm.
It has been for sale for about 20 days, I'm the first one to actually make the trip to go look at it.

sdweatherman

By the looks of the interior doors and floor pan - might be an original paint car - EV2 maybe. If there is truly no rust or rot - then you have a very fair deal there. I see these cars go for 3, 4, 5K and need a little bit of rust repair. By the time all the rust is discovered and repaired, you have added another 3, 4, 5K+ in repairs to the bill. 6K for a solid running car is a good deal. Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

dubsesda3

Fender tag is also telling me that it would have had a white body accent stripe. Would this have run down the entire side of the car? If need be I can post a pic of the tag.
Below is from the tag:
M21- Roof drip mouldings
M25- Wide sill mold
N88- auto spd cntr (speed counter)
R11- Music master AM radio
V7W- white accent stripes
V1X- full black vinyl roof
U- Tire size I assume
C15- Deluxe seat belt
C55- bucket seats
G11- tinted glass all
H51- single air with heater
EV2- Hemi Orange
D6XW- deluxe white bucket seats
E44- 318 2-bbl
D31- LD 904A trans

69bronzeT5

The price isn't too far out of line. It's about equal to what it would sell for up in Canada.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

crj1968

Cool car- price sounds good to me. What else you gonna get for $6K, a used Camry?

:2thumbs:

dubsesda3

Quote from: crj1968 on December 16, 2016, 01:29:37 PM
Cool car- price sounds good to me. What else you gonna get for $6K, a used Camry?

:2thumbs:

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll see what happens this weekend.

NHCharger

Quote from: dubsesda3 on December 16, 2016, 08:54:38 AM

It has been for sale for about 20 days, I'm the first one to actually make the trip to go look at it.

If that's the case I would start at 5k. But if he won't budge 6k still isn't that bad for a rust free 71 that you can drive away in  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ACUDANUT

Looks like a great buy. Who cares about a numbers matching 318 car ? Nobody.  But it.

sdweatherman

Quote from: dubsesda3 on December 16, 2016, 12:06:07 PM
Fender tag is also telling me that it would have had a white body accent stripe. Would this have run down the entire side of the car? If need be I can post a pic of the tag.
Below is from the tag:
M21- Roof drip mouldings
M25- Wide sill mold
U- Tire size I assume
C15- Deluxe seat belt
C55- bucket seats
G11- tinted glass all
EV2- Hemi Orange
E44- 318 2-bbl
D31- LD 904A trans
U on the fender tag just means the car was built to USA specifications. C - would be for Canada, I - would be for Export/International.
Double check your C15 - Likely is C16 for Center Console given your interior picture.
Looks like you have the rest pretty well figured out.
Scott.

sdweatherman

Here is the stripe that runs down the side. Found lots of Orange cars with the black stripe. Not very many with the white stripe - you have yourself something a little different than the rest. Scott.

dubsesda3

Quote from: sdweatherman on December 16, 2016, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: dubsesda3 on December 16, 2016, 12:06:07 PM
Below is from the tag:
M21- Roof drip mouldings
M25- Wide sill mold
U- Tire size I assume
C15- Deluxe seat belt
C55- bucket seats
G11- tinted glass all
EV2- Hemi Orange
E44- 318 2-bbl
D31- LD 904A trans
U on the fender tag just means the car was built to USA specifications. C - would be for Canada, I - would be for Export/International.
Double check your C15 - Likely is C16 for Center Console given your interior picture.
Looks like you have the rest pretty well figured out.
Scott.

Good catch, fat fingered that for sure...   The white stripe would be handsome with a black top. Lets see if I can work out a deal. I've been scouring eBay and craigslist all day and haven't found any other 71 in comparable shape running and driving for close to $6000. As for numbers/originality, I may be one of the few but a classic car in original guise (no matter how common) is more desirable to me than a tribute or restomod. It may have something to do with the Charger from my childhood. :shruggy:

Sublime/Sixpack

My thinking is if you have a truck and trailer, and handle the situation just right, you can probably get it for $4500 cash. 
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

polywideblock

my SE has V7 X it is the black molding down the middle of door etc ,almost a "bang strip" .thought it was an add on, yours would be white

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

400sforever

if I wanted a 71 hemi orange car at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one. I looked at one this summer here in iowa for 4,000 and it was beat crapless, and rusted. I didn't jump on the deal right away and it sold the next day. Whoever bought it when I was looking stuck it on ebay and it brought 4200 or so
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

71 SE3834V

Quote from: dubsesda3 on December 16, 2016, 08:54:38 AM
Yes, it is an original cruise optioned car. We scraped some filler away from the window rails and it is truly clean underneath. I'm not sure if the engine is numbers correct or not, and I'm not entirely sure how to confirm.

You should be able to find the last 8 numbers of the VIN on the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 16, 2016, 02:43:22 PM
Who cares about a numbers matching 318 car ? Nobody. 

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on December 18, 2016, 10:57:59 AM
You should be able to find the last 8 numbers of the VIN on the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side.

I wouldn't try to assign value based on numbers matching.  I agree with ACUDANUT.  318 cars are worth more once that motor is replaced.

So, did you buy the car!?!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

crj1968

Agreed, I wouldn't sweat the numbers matching thing either

71 SE3834V

Just passing along the info of where he might find the #'s if he wants to look for it. Not making a value assessment.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V