News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are all non-Mopar engine swaps equally evil?

Started by Mike DC, November 24, 2016, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

I was thinking about this after the Rat Muscle 'Daisy' LS discussion.  An LS or SBC in a Mopar is the least-popular choice for sure. 

Is it any less bad to do Pontiac motor? 

Cadillac? 
AMC? 

Straight-6 Jeep?

Flathead Ford?

DeSoto Firedome?

BMW? 
Toyota? 
Lambo?

Daimler/Benz?

What if there is an engineering justification for a foreign engine?   Tight fits, light weights, drivetrain layouts, etc.
What if it's done to compete in a certain racing series (besides just saving a few bucks)? 

----------

Yeah, I know, it's ALWAYS better to keep it Mopar.  That's not what I'm asking.

70 sublime

On a Dodge Charger forum it would always be mopar or no car

If you were on a race car forum and asked the same question it would have a different answer

Just depends who you are standing in front of when you ask
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tan top

the price of mopar engines  , compared to Chebby stuff , makes it very tempting , if you are not brand loyal  :scratchchin:  

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mll-ps6320ctc/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-5153526/overview/

looking at these two engines above & even looking at all the GM crate motors compared to mopar , kind of makes me wish I was a chebby guy  , :smilie_help:  ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

cbrestorations

from a circle track standpoint which im a part of no one i know of or even seen runs a mopar engine and very rarely a ford. its all GM engines because they are lighter and make power much cheaper. when cornering the heavier the engine the more it wants to understeer and burn the font tires off faster. the first time i had to race against a ls3 crate motor in a circle track car i damn near said f*** it and loaded up because he blew by me on the outside and pulled hard down the straight. its amazing what just 100lbs can do off the nose.

from a drag racing standpoint its different...that nose weight doesnt affect the car as much. but i do know alot of street racers who run LS engines in any make or model car because they can run a stock engine, put 25-30psi to it and make 1000hp with it lasting along time. instead of spending thousands on a race motor and taking a chance on all that money going down the drain if it blows up. the 5.3 LS engine cost maybe $500 off craigslist or pulled from a junkyard

JR

I think it definitely depends on who you ask. And if they get their kicks from looking at their car, or driving it.

I'd wager that most of the "I'd walk before I drove anything that wasn't a MOPAR!!!1!1!!!" crowd aren't experienced with many makes and models beyond a small spectrum, and don't know what they're missing.

I used to think like that, but after trying out as many flavors of cars as I could (American, German, Italian, and Japanese), I soon realized the blind brand loyalty is ridiculous, and until FCA starts sending me checks, I could care less about brand loyalty.

I'd love to build a pro touring 67-69 Barracuda fastback with a BMW S54 inline six. That'd be an awesome combination.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ryan.C

Good topic. I have often thought about engine swap the other way around. For instance dropping in a mopar engine in non mopar vehicle (big block Chrysler in a willys truck or something like that).
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Back N Black

I would not swap another brand engine but I would install a non Mopar transmission. I wish there were more choices for transmissions, getting really tired of the 727 three speed.

cbrestorations

Use a a518 trans...overdrive and lockup converter. It's a Mopar trans from 93-95 it's basically a 727 with overdrive

charger_fan_4ever

For car a car show goer or a weekend cruiser cant see where it warrants the swap. But anything performance based tan tops 2 links summarizes it well. Do you want a 600 Ci 815hp BB chevy for 12k or do you want a sb mopar 330hp for $11,500 lol sad actually.

As stated those LS engines are bad a$$. basically a Cam headers and a $100 mail order tune and your running 11's in a F body. Drop that same mill in a fox body mustang coupe with a carb intake and run 10's with a 350Ci NA stock long block. Equivilent SBF stroker 302 based engine your looking at atleast $7k for 500hp.

6spd68

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on November 24, 2016, 03:50:12 PM
As stated those LS engines are bad a$$. basically a Cam headers and a $100 mail order tune and your running 11's in a F body. Drop that same mill in a fox body mustang coupe with a carb intake and run 10's with a 350Ci NA stock long block. Equivilent SBF stroker 302 based engine your looking at atleast $7k for 500hp.

Agreed, that's about what my 347 Stroker cost me all in
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Charger-Bodie

If you pay 11.5 for a 330 horse small block. You got raped
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cbrestorations

its $4300 for a bare 6.1 hemi aluminum block or $6500 for a turn key aluminum 6.2L ls3. both make the same HP, thats my point right there....

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2016, 04:19:28 PM
its $4300 for a bare 6.1 hemi aluminum block or $6500 for a turn key aluminum 6.2L ls3. both make the same HP, thats my point right there....

I hear ya.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Baldwinvette77

idunno man, cost is a very real factor for any build. and if you can make the same power for half the money, i cant really argue with it, im not going to hate somebody for making a more logical choice, people have bills to pay....

Back N Black

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2016, 02:23:53 PM
Use a a518 trans...overdrive and lockup converter. It's a Mopar trans from 93-95 it's basically a 727 with overdrive

Any modifications to the trans tunnel?

cdr

Quote from: Back N Black on November 24, 2016, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2016, 02:23:53 PM

Any modifications to the trans tunnel?

Yes a lot.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RCCDrew

I'm jealous of the LS. Cheap power. Throw a couple turbos on a stock LS and have a real monster. That being said, if I was going to run an LS, it would be in a Chevy, not a Mopar.

ACUDANUT

If you want fuel/gas mileage Fiat/Dodge has a four banger Diesel option in it's 1/2 trucks. BTW They charge an Extra 4K for this option.  :brickwall:

Rolling_Thunder

I personally dont care too much what people do with their cars....    but IMO if you're going to do a swap to a non-Mopar engine...   then go Exotic...    swap a Ferrari V8 in...   or a twin turbo Maseratti engine...       something like that I would love to see....        LS and GM engines are a dime a dozen -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

marshallfry01

I know a guy here in town that built a 440 and has a Chevy 700r4 bolted up to it. It's sitting in his shop. No idea if he's ever going to put it in anything.  I'm curious if it would fit in my 70 charger without hacking up the floor... :scratchchin:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Mike DC

There's no debate about the LS & SBC swap question.  Even a lot of GM guys groan when they see those things in Mopars.

Homerr

If you need to be different with an LS or SBC then go put one in a Corvair.   ;)

I'm even a bit put off by modern Mopar swaps though.  I can appreciate them if they're for a DD (driveability/reliability/mileage) more than the 'just to do it' swap.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: RCCDrew on November 24, 2016, 10:33:09 PM
I'm jealous of the LS. Cheap power. Throw a couple turbos on a stock LS and have a real monster. That being said, if I was going to run an LS, it would be in a Chevy, not a Mopar.

I'll bet putting a couple of turbos on a stock 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi would give similar power.  I know it wouldn't be as cheap for the Mopar specific parts but....
Mopar forever!