News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Summer of 1972 on Van Nuys Blvd

Started by Homerr, November 19, 2016, 11:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Those are great photos! It's cool that most of them appear to have been taken rather candidly. And gas...32 cents per gallon! :2thumbs: I didn't see the photo you posted here in that link, does that mean there are more elsewhere?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

Very cool! Love the gas prices  :lol: I bet a few of those cars ages better then a lot of the women in the photos too.  :lol:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Homerr

Linked from reddit, that's all the photes there were.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

DixieRestoParts

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Ponch ®

Other than the super cheap gas, the scene is still very much the same one night a month on VN.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Dans 68

Sigh....

The right most of the three girls photo looks like my ex-wife. But she would have been 14 at the time.   :scratchchin:  Lived not too far away (San Marino). Good memories, with the warm nights, bare feet, shorts, tans and long hair. Sigh....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ponch ®

Check out this instagram page of the current monthly VN Blvd cruises. The page leans heavily toward the lowrider crowd, but in reality at the cruises you see everything from street rods to mopar winged cars to exotics to 70s style custom vans.
https://www.instagram.com/vannuysblvdcruisenight/

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

feeeighteefee

like a trip back in time.......gas in vancouver now is like 1.28 a litre..just a litre thats smaller than a quart

odcics2

Perspective.  In 1972 I was making $1.15 an hour and gas was 25 cents a gallon.  5 bucks would fill up my '68 Charger!

Gas was EXPENSIVE to me.

4.34 hours of work to fill the tank!   

Before I retired, I could fill my 20 gallon tank with a little more than ONE hour of work.   

Gas is cheaper now than it ever was, if you look at it my way!!   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RECHRGD

Quote from: odcics2 on December 03, 2016, 09:00:28 AM

Perspective.  In 1972 I was making $1.15 an hour and gas was 25 cents a gallon.  5 bucks would fill up my '68 Charger!

Gas was EXPENSIVE to me.

Before I retired, I could fill my 20 gallon tank with a little more than ONE hour of work.   

Apples and oranges.  You were making minimum wage in '72 and much more than the current minimum wage when you retired.
13.53 @ 105.32

odcics2

Quote from: RECHRGD on December 04, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Gas was EXPENSIVE to me.

Apples and oranges.  You were making minimum wage in '72 and much more than the current minimum wage when you retired.

Actually, I was making less than minimum wage.
Here is some info:   https://splicer.com/2013/12/10/chart-minimum-wage-cost-living-adjusted-dollars

Like I said, gas was EXPENSIVE to me!! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RECHRGD

Quote from: odcics2 on December 04, 2016, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on December 04, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Gas was EXPENSIVE to me.

Actually, I was making less than minimum wage.
Here is some info:   https://splicer.com/2013/12/10/chart-minimum-wage-cost-living-adjusted-dollars

Like I said, gas was EXPENSIVE to me!! 

Yeah, it was to me also.  In '68 I worked at a Standard Station in Sunland Ca..  The custom supreme that my new R/T loved was $.36 a gallon.  Going by your link, today's minimum hourly wage would by you about two or three gallons of gas.  If the minimum wage was $1.50 in 1968 it might get you four or five.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Mike DC

The problem is not the price of gas, it's the rate we use it.  

$2-3/gallon is cheap for almost any substance today.  Milk.  Orange juice.  Paint.  Etc.  

RECHRGD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 05, 2016, 04:33:15 PM

The problem is not the price of gas, it's the rate we use it. 

$2-3/gallon is cheap for almost any substance today.  Milk.  Orange juice.  Paint.  Etc.   

BBQ'd a couple of big fat prime ribeyes the other night.  Those two steaks ran me about $50.00!  But, damn they were good.......
13.53 @ 105.32

68X426

The girls were way less expensive back then as well.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

birdsandbees

Hell.. mine gave me the $20 bucks so I could put that nice red premium in my car!  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mytur Binsdirti

I wonder how many spiders and bees live in her hair? (scroll to the right)

Lennard

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 06, 2016, 05:07:13 PM
I wonder how many spiders and bees live in her hair? (scroll to the right)

Peggy Bundy!   :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Look what I found!  :icon_smile_big:

I found the guy's website who took all those pics HERE

How about the asking price for this '69 Z28? :o

THIS is a cool story he wrote about taking the photos.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mytur Binsdirti

funknut

Mytur Binsdirti

Today, this is a ticketable offense....

Ponch ®

Kern Dog

Imagine the fine bush the girls were sporting in those Jordache jeans!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 31, 2017, 04:19:17 AM
Imagine the fine bush the girls were sporting in those Jordache jeans!

Bushbelt  :2thumbs:

500Jon

Hi Odcics and all.

Not sure what the dollar to pound rate was in 1972 but I was on £2 a day as an engineering apprentice!
By 1978 I was on £20 a day, but still couldn't afford my first Plymouth till 1985!

Why is that you are thinking, same problem as 1972, American car INSURANCE was way too high...
Now I can insure my $50,000 Charger for $200 now I'm 60!

I can afford to insure it but Gas is $10 a gallon in the UK...
If its not one problem, its another lol... :smilielol:

Bought my first Dodge truck in Van Nuys, from the Spring Fling 2004, she was a beauty 72 D200 stepside!
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

alfaitalia

Not wanting to be that bloke but.....Don't know where in the UK you live 500Jon but move!...lol. It's about £1.20 a litre today in Sussex so that's about £5.45 per gallon which is just under $7 per UK gallon (which is of course bigger than the US gallon) at today's exchange rate (31.1.2017)... So converting to the US gallon (83.3% of a UK one) would be about $5.83 to buy a US gallon of fuel at UK prices....still expensive compared to what the Yanks pay...but far from 10 bucks a gallon. I thank you and good night!

It was close to $10 per UK gallon a couple of years ago though...that's what caused those fuel depot blockades by truckers.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!