News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did I get this right???

Started by Dreamcar, November 13, 2016, 12:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Doing some test fitting for the first time. I'm just wanting to make sure that the relationship between the cross member, main floor, and extensions is how it's supposed to be. As with many aftermarket parts, they did not just slide right into place without a little persuasion.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

mopar4don

Quote from: Dreamcar on November 13, 2016, 12:46:24 PM
Doing some test fitting for the first time. I'm just wanting to make sure that the relationship between the cross member, main floor, and extensions is how it's supposed to be. As with many aftermarket parts, they did not just slide right into place without a little persuasion.

Dreamcar, It looks to me as if your trunk drop off is not back far enough.
What I did was install the corner cap onto the quarter panel (with screws) Then I fit the quarter w/cornercap on and and discovered that ethier the quarter was not long enough, or that the rear crossmember was not right.
A fellow member (CDR) came to my rescue and said that I needed to bend the end of the crossmember far enough forward (towards the front of the car) so that the corner cap would line up on the rear crossmember.
He also stated that original cars were done this way on the assembly line, and the proof was if you would look at crossmember on an original Charger, you would see that the bottom crossmember edge was buckled.
So as hard as it was, I got my 5 lb hammer and beat the end a little at a time untill I could get the quarter panel /corner cap to fit. after I got the quarter with the cap to fit everywhere (rear window edge, lock jam, wheel well) then I fit the rear valance and trunk drop off.

This is how I did mine, I hope I did it right.

mopar4don

Here is a shot showing how the x-member buckled after bending the ends in.
You can see it a little better in the 2nd pic. Right at the bottom edge you can see how it puckered

mopar4don

You can read about some of the issues I had here
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,123434.0.html

Although they don't answer all of your questions....... I will go back through my pics and try to come up with a documented procedure in a new thread.

And if I did anything wrong, members please correct me. The last thing I want to do is advise someone wrongly. All I can say is this worked for me.

Dreamcar

Quote from: mopar4don on November 13, 2016, 02:37:45 PM

Although they don't answer all of your questions....... I will go back through my pics and try to come up with a documented procedure in a new thread.

And if I did anything wrong, members please correct me. The last thing I want to do is advise someone wrongly. All I can say is this worked for me.

Thanks mopar4don. I'll read up on your thread. You said it looks like the extension is not far back enough...but is it that or that I haven't bent the cross member back yet. Here's a picture of the front of the extension. As you can see, the lines seem to line up well.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Dreamcar

Don....did you mount the end cap to the quarter before installing the quarter?

mopar4don

Quote from: Dreamcar on November 13, 2016, 03:46:25 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on November 13, 2016, 02:37:45 PM

Thanks mopar4don. I'll read up on your thread. You said it looks like the extension is not far back enough...but is it that or that I haven't bent the cross member back yet. Here's a picture of the front of the extension. As you can see, the lines seem to line up well.

From your picture I cant tell get a picture from the back of the car like this one.
This was taken when like you I was fitting the drop off in.
The 2nd pic shows how I screwed the corner cap onto the quarter.

Keep in mind I only bent that outer wing of the crossmember about 1/4 back It was not a lot.
That's why you should fit the quarter w/cap to the x-member 1st, by doing so you will see how much you need to bend it back

Dreamcar

These pics are helpful. Thank you Don. This week I'll try testing the quarters with caps before installing the floor extensions and see how that goes. You would think that installing the extensions after the quarter would be more difficult, but if it worked for you I'm definitely going to give it a try.  :cheers: