News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to lower my '69...

Started by rikubot, November 07, 2016, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hello guys
I'm looking to lower my ride a bit. Something like 1 1/2 to two inches. I was wondering how you all would go about doing this. I think I'm okay to drop the front with the torsion bars, but I heard lowering blocks aren't a great idea. I'm purely looking for an ascthetic improvement. What do you all think? Pros, cons, methods. I use the car for street cruising, never race, and never launch at the track. Thanks
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Here she is
'69 Charger, 440/727

Lennard

For street use there is no problem using lowering blocks and I've seen drag cars with lowering blocks also.
Lowering leaf springs is also an option.

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

chargerbr549

http://www.manciniracing.com/bialspkit1.html

http://www.manciniracing.com/marasphaset5.html

For the rear I used lowering blocks to drop the rear on my 69 Charger an inch but the front leaf spring hanger from Mancini Racing looks like another good option, you can do stock ride height or drop it that way with the two different holes.

On the front of my car I believe it took about 5 turns on the torsion bar to drop it about an inch, it gave me more neg camber and more positive caster just by lowering the car, of course I had to realign it when I was all done.

rikubot

Those are super nice. Do you have a pic of the car on the ground or is she in resto mode?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: chargerbr549 on November 07, 2016, 10:53:32 PM
http://www.manciniracing.com/bialspkit1.html

http://www.manciniracing.com/marasphaset5.html

For the rear I used lowering blocks to drop the rear on my 69 Charger an inch but the front leaf spring hanger from Mancini Racing looks like another good option, you can do stock ride height or drop it that way with the two different holes.

On the front of my car I believe it took about 5 turns on the torsion bar to drop it about an inch, it gave me more neg camber and more positive caster just by lowering the car, of course I had to realign it when I was all done.

Very nice. Also, very wallet friendly. Definitely in the running.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I also meant to get a little feedback on her stance. What do you guys think?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Mopar Nut

Quote from: rikubot on November 08, 2016, 12:09:10 AM

She looks like that in my opinion.   :Twocents:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

garner7555

Quote from: rikubot on November 08, 2016, 12:04:47 AM
Those are super nice. Do you have a pic of the car on the ground or is she in resto mode?

I'm still assembling the car, the drivetrain is installed but the car is on the lift.  I hope to have it driving by spring.    :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

375instroke

How high is the K-frame from the ground?  Do you really want it 2" closer?  If you want it that low, cut a little off the lower rebound bumpers or you'll be riding on them, and they'll likely split and fall off.  Flipping the leaf spring hangers upside down lowers the rear almost an inch.  The four bolts are offset, so you'll have to drill a hole in each one.  With that trick, you may only need 1" blocks to get the back down where you want it.

SGAmmo

Hi Guys

I am new here, I thought I would use this thread rather than starting a new one, hope you can help. I have a 1968 charger that I want to lower too. However it seems that the fender has a support bracket inside the wheel wheel, and if we go much lower the tire will rub. How do you guys recommend getting around that bracket? I have a few pictures I can post but for guys with this kind of car it should be something most of us know about. It looks like some guys are getting these cars fairly low to the ground and short of modifying or removing that bracket I do not see how they are doing that

Thanks!

Lennard

I'm pretty sure Chris didn't cut that bracket out, and his is sitting very low.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122140.325.html

SGAmmo

It looks like he built a bracket on the upper inside, Sweet car too, that might solve the fitting problem. I don't think going that low is not practical for my car, but I'd like to get half way.

Lennard

Quote from: SGAmmo on December 12, 2016, 11:42:18 PM
It looks like he built a bracket on the upper inside, Sweet car too, that might solve the fitting problem. I don't think going that low is not practical for my car, but I'd like to get half way.
Sorry,  I was wrong.  I just asked him and he did cut it out. :slap:

cbrestorations

drop spindles and leaf spring blocks

Dino

1 1/2 - 2" ?

Pfft that's easy, just let the air out of the tires! There. You're welcome!   :icon_smile_big:

For that fender bracket I'd remove it. You can make another one that will run above the tire when dropped. Shouldn't take much.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

SGAmmo

We just got done going a little lower on the front of this car. All we did is adjust torsion bars for about a 2" drop on the front and get an alignment, no added parts other than a new set of rims that fit so well in the rear I really do not think we need to go lower there. This is as low as we could go and not rub the fender bracket and to have clearance for a full range of steering. Now on to 4 wheel disc with 14" drilled/slotted rotors for a cool look and this one will be done until the next time something breaks

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

Kern Dog

I know that people suggest to realign a Mopar after adjusting the ride height but....
I have had several Mopars over the years where I have adjusted them up and down with no obvious difference in how the car steered. Maybe the toe changes slightly but not enough to notice. A  1 to 2 inch change affects camber, I can see that. I doubt it has much effect on caster.

alfaitalia

Quote from: rikubot on February 09, 2017, 09:45:38 PM
I really like it!

...me too....exactly the ride height and poise I'm aiming for on mine......slightly nose down.....top of the rubber covered by the arches (ok...fenders!). Even those wheels appeal.....but I have others in mind at the moment. Would look cleaner without the chrome arch trim....but that is just my opinion and I know lots on here like the chrome strips. Each to his/her own!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Dino

Nice! Sits kinda like mine, but I have more rubber and less rim.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ACUDANUT

Shoot me now, if the rest of us like Mexican low riders. I am out.
However, if this is your style, so be it. Give me your 15 inch rims and tires for free since you hate the 70-80's.
I'll also take your 426 Hemi's and you can find your own Prius powertrain.   :nana:

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: rikubot on November 08, 2016, 12:09:10 AM

Looks like it should to me.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 10, 2017, 02:33:56 PM
Shoot me now, if the rest of us like Mexican low riders. I am out.
However, if this is your style, so be it. Give me your 15 inch rims and tires for free since you hate the 70-80's.
I'll take your 426 Hemi's and you can find your own Prius powertrain.  :2thumbs:

In the 70s, a jacked up ass end was the current trend. People did it to all sorts of different cars. You think guys in their 50s  liked that trend then? Now in the new age of the 20teens, trends are different. The taller wheel, shorter sidewall came about for 3 reasons as I see it: Fitting bigger brakes, shorter sidewalls for better handling and finally.....Personal preference for the sake of fashion.