News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can torque converter on a '74 torqueflite 727 get "locked".........

Started by rickmopar74, November 07, 2016, 12:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmopar74

Hello to all. New member,seeking advice from mopar people that know more than I thought I did. I have a '74 ( :rotz: :rotz:) Charger,360,torqueflite A727 on the floor (under it , actually) My problem- it dies instantly when put into gear. I have checked for and fixed any vacuum leaks,carb seems ok,replaced fuel pump and filter.It idles fine, revs great, but put it in gear and it dies instantly-drive or reverse.No sputter, no "lurching"-just dies. Was told that torque converter can "lock" or "get stuck" so as to kill engine when engaged. 1've heard of GMs doing this, but not mopars.Trans had been working fine, but fluid was a little bit low. Added fluid-level good now. But no go. Any advice much appreciated.    rick

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

Yes, a torque converter with a failed internal sprag can cause the engine to die due to lack of stall speed but I think it's pretty rare, most cases like yours are tune-up related.

Try this in an open area with no obstructions....with the engine warmed up, apply the brake firmly with your left foot and have your right foot on the accelerator then drop it into gear and, as soon as you feel the transmission engage, apply enough throttle to keep the engine running. If the engine continues running with the application of more throttle, the converter isn't the problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rickmopar74

hello john,     thank you very much for that tip-much appreciated! I just did it and I can keep it running with more throttle when in drive-it runs like crap, but it does run and move a little(!).now I can quit getting sidetracked looking for a decently priced converter.     thanks again (will probably be back with more questions soon)          rick