News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

high horsepower 318

Started by mopar_head, April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on May 19, 2006, 12:06:19 PM
this thread is becoming disconcerting in regards to combos  ::)

You want to buy a ram charger rear door?    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

dodge freak

Well thats what I did and it works great, not everybody can get a 440. How would you get lots of power out of a 318??

dodge freak

Here my set up--318 .030 8.5-1 compression-hedman headers 78050, comp cam 270 solid, offy intake equa-flow #5700 msd 7 al spark box and 7251 coil ,holley hp 750 dp carb, mopar dist. with light springs no vacuum advance 36-38 total timing, 3 speed auto police cont around 2000 stall and 3.91 gears 27 inch tall tires. It runs great!! No it doesn't go 120 in the 1/4 but can still reach it, just barely. I drive it almost everyday its nice out , its fun and faster than most new cars. Used to weight about 3500lbs till I put sub woofers and amps  in it but it still is fun and these new car still can't stay with it. I would like to add that the motor idles good when warm and ok when cold in gear and I run 87 oc. gas cause 92 makes no difference. The trans is a 904 with 2.74 first gear and a cheetah manual valve body, I take off in second gear no problem and in third it can leave the light with no horns blowing.

RD

not being an ass, but have you ran it in the quarter?  I am curious to your times with all your upgrades.  Let me know K.  thanks
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dodge freak

Sorry no , just that I have had it for over 10 years and this is what I have now and am happy with it. I know with out a slip nobody cares but it can take care of it self and I am happy. I am over 40 years old now and have other stuff happening. Wish I started with a 400 but never thought I have it this long, did throw a rod in 2001 but all ready had everthing but the spark box so I just rebut the motor. It needed a new crank and the block was chip on the bottom of the bore. The shop said it be ok and had no problems.  They changed all of the rods too. I started with Oldsmobile's rocket motor but wiped out when I was 23. All most got killed the car was but I was ok 6 months later and been hooked on Mopars. GM's are nice  but mopars are stronger and last longer. Yes the track is nice too but its 35 miles away and I look at the rules 5 years ago and said the heck with it. They want all this stuff like overflow bottles and other stuff and said WHY should I go? Maybe if I could do it all over again it be different some of you guys have very nice cars and am Glad you don't live by me, ha ha. I know its not no king of the street but I like it and it runs good everyday. That combo that I said works good and idles good too. I know its much better than some set ups and its nothing compare to a built big block. But once its over 4000 rpms its not bad, The 340 had better stuff and could rev to 7000 so its not too good looking at it that way. What else can I say? I swap different intakes but that offy works the best, Hooker has bigger headers but its not a 340 so I keeping it this way. I am losing it cause now I am putting subwoofers and amps and have 250 lbs I don't need but the stereo is nice to have and helps me slow down, I am getting too old for this now, yes I am sure there is older people out there but I can't drive as good as I  once did. Maybe one day I get a 440 but for now I am not. Like I said some of you guys have the Nice's cars I ever seen, they look better than brand new. I live in cold Michigan and can only drive it 7 months a year so that stinks too.

mopar_head

i live in arizona so i can drive it just about year round.... but  it comes with a limit since we have so many emissoins.......
mopar muscle!!!

dodge freak

Well if I lived in AZ I would get a pre- emission car, before 1964 and put a newer motor and trans and rear end in it. There is some nice 61-63 cars that look good and are light. In AZ you should be able to find some clean. It really makes a difference if you don't have to worry about what you can and can't do. As a bonus seat belts are optional, you can put some in but don't have to used them. Put some disc brakes in front and some good tires and nice rims and you have a nice looking good performing car.

grouseman

Quote from: dodge freak on May 19, 2006, 03:16:55 PM
Here my set up--318 .030 8.5-1 compression-hedman headers 78050, comp cam 270 solid, offy intake equa-flow #5700 msd 7 al spark box and 7251 coil ,holley hp 750 dp carb, mopar dist. with light springs no vacuum advance 36-38 total timing, 3 speed auto police cont around 2000 stall and 3.91 gears 27 inch tall tires. The trans is a 904 with 2.74 first gear and a cheetah manual valve body,

There's a good example for you.  Gears, converter, exhaust, cam, intake, and carb have all been changed.  The cam & intake loses some low end power, so you skip over the flat spot with the 2,000 tc.  The 3.91s mean this engine will be revving lots, so headers, intake, cam and carb each allow for lots of air/fuel and exhaust to be moved.  Ensure good igition at high rpms as well. 

But there was lots of money spent, and lots of work to do all those changes.  Plus I'm sure it is a gas pig, albeit a very fun one!  And I'll bet that he's got another car as well that's a bit more sane. 

The thing is, what is right for you? 

deputycrawford

Dodge freak. Do you mean you live 35 miles from Milan? I live 35 miles south of Milan. I strapped and old gear oil bottle to my radiator support and put my overflow hose in it. I just made sure I had a battery hold down on the battery and went racing. They tech me every time without even opening the hood because they have seen me so much. They even noticed I had Drag Radials and just told me to put on a drag loop but didn't look. I have one but they trusted me. On street tires you don't need almost anything but your car. They really don't care much on Wednesday's test and tunes nights. Gates open at 4 pm. $20 and I usually get 8 runs in. Time slips everytime, red light or not. Its fun. Besides, I need more mopars there to support me. I only see two or three others on any given night. There are usually just over 100 cars and im just about the only Mopar.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

dodge freak

Yeah thats the one. Well maybe I check it out one time this summer, but gas is so much and not sure how the freeways are with all the road work. M-14 to US-23 is my best way out there but M-14 is beaning work on, not sure about US-23. I look at a map again and its a ways out. Like the one poster said its a gas pig 10-12 mpg and with all the traffic it take me over  an hour to get there. I live northeast of it, its a better drive from the south. If I go I will say something but not to sure. If I lived in Ann arbor I would but it takes me 50 mins just to go there.

deputycrawford

Ok, If you decide to make the pilgrimage to the the track just once this year then let me know. I will take the day off and go. I take about 40-45 mins to get there because of my 4.10 gear. I topped it off last time and drove it there. I ran 8 times with stopping to change the timing several times to get an idea of what works best. I stopped in the town of Milan and topped it off again and drove it home. I made two ten minute runs the next day and filled it up again. I spent $88 dollars in gas in two days. It was worth it. I run it at the track a few times a year and I call it my entertainment money. It sits all winter so I save money then. :yesnod:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

CoalCracker

Your putting the horse before the cart!  You better get ALOT of experience under your belt BEFORE you decide to test the laws of physics.  C'mon oldtimers, you know what I'm talking about.  The riot act should be read at this time.  :yesnod:

How many guys show up at the track with their freshly stamped learner's permit ?

mopar_head

Quote from: CoalCracker on May 25, 2006, 05:14:20 PM
Your putting the horse before the cart! You better get ALOT of experience under your belt BEFORE you decide to test the laws of physics. C'mon oldtimers, you know what I'm talking about. The riot act should be read at this time. :yesnod:

How many guys show up at the track with their freshly stamped learner's permit ?

ME!!! jk like im that dumb ... u dont think i try to learn my stuff?? its not like im going  to go in there with out knowing anything lol im scared of messing something up so ill go back to reread over something like  50 times just to make sure i dont break or damage anything i might be a noob but hey at least im trying
mopar muscle!!!

CoalCracker

I keep forgetting most Mopar owners have some level of maturity.  Sorry for confusin' you w/ the ricers.  ;D

grouseman

Quote from: mopar_head on May 25, 2006, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: CoalCracker on May 25, 2006, 05:14:20 PM
Your putting the horse before the cart! You better get ALOT of experience under your belt BEFORE you decide to test the laws of physics. C'mon oldtimers, you know what I'm talking about. The riot act should be read at this time. :yesnod:

ME!!! jk like im that dumb ... u dont think i try to learn my stuff?? its not like im going  to go in there with out knowing anything lol im scared of messing something up so ill go back to reread over something like  50 times just to make sure i dont break or damage anything i might be a noob but hey at least im trying

hay m0prhed,

u gottado smthinga bout yor text qualityits almost impssble 2 unerstand wat yur tryn 2 say everyone else seems to make the effort to put in punctuation, spell the words out and capitalize letters.  Take an extra minute, there's no rush.   ;)  Everybody will appreciate it. 

deputycrawford

I think I missed something. I'm not sure what coalcracker is talking about. If you are talking about going to the track as an in-experienced driver then go to the track and watch for awhile. There are 8 yr olds running Jr dragsters and running 80 MPH 1/8 mile trap speeds. That is as fast as most of our cars. Young kids go every Wednseday and learn very quickly. You can see the progress in every run if you follow one car for the day. I'm not trying to start anything, and don't even know if i'm on the right subject, but go for it with caution. You'll do fine. I hope i'm on the right subject.

CoalCracker

Sorry, I didn't realize those two guys would never think about racing on a public street.  :angel: Good Luck at the track!

dodge freak

Whats "racing"  :-X :?  All I do is drive down the freeway, can't control what other people might do.

mopar_head

I try to go to the track, but when u got no money... Thats what hurts . I'm gunna get a job soon though, as soon as i get back from vacation. I get started off at like 9 to 10 dollars and then raises and all that other good stuff but until then i just go to be paitent. And the guy who offered has a mustang and knows alot about mopars to so ill probably get carried away...  ;D But when i get my first paycheck im taking my girlfreind to diner then ill go to the track to watch the drags. I heard theres a guy with a 68 beattle that does 8's but ill see what happens :icon_smile_cool:
mopar muscle!!!

dodge freak

Spend your money on your girlfriend ;D You are only young once, this going fast stuff is only fun until you hit something. With gas going over $3.00 I sometimes think its a waste of money. B T W I am in my 40's so I had my fun. It also seem like it was easier to have fun with the girls when you are young. Now if one likes me she starts thinking of getting married. When you are 20 you don't think of that, at least me and my friends never did. I remember this one girl when I was 22-somebody told us that we should get married. We both said at the same time "I don't  want to get married" and we both laugh about it. Now its just me and not the girl. So live it up and don't worry about this. All you need is money, there will always be a fast car for sale. We old guys will die and then you can buy our cars.

torqueles charlee

Quote from: mopar_head on May 27, 2006, 06:23:34 PM
I try to go to the track, but when u got no money... Thats what hurts . I'm gunna get a job soon though, as soon as i get back from vacation. I get started off at like 9 to 10 dollars and then raises and all that other good stuff but until then i just go to be paitent. And the guy who offered has a mustang and knows alot about mopars to so ill probably get carried away...  ;D But when i get my first paycheck im taking my girlfreind to diner then ill go to the track to watch the drags. I heard theres a guy with a 68 beattle that does 8's but ill see what happens :icon_smile_cool:

ya ive seen his charger. its sweet. its in pretty good shape but few rust spots that r curable. the engine sounds fine but his carb is acting up a litle. other than that is a beuty on wheels. :icon_smile:

mopar_head

Quote from: dodge freak on May 27, 2006, 07:40:54 PM
Spend your money on your girlfriend ;D You are only young once, this going fast stuff is only fun until you hit something. With gas going over $3.00 I sometimes think its a waste of money. B T W I am in my 40's so I had my fun. It also seem like it was easier to have fun with the girls when you are young. Now if one likes me she starts thinking of getting married. When you are 20 you don't think of that, at least me and my friends never did. I remember this one girl when I was 22-somebody told us that we should get married. We both said at the same time "I don't want to get married" and we both laugh about it. Now its just me and not the girl. So live it up and don't worry about this. All you need is money, there will always be a fast car for sale. We old guys will die and then you can buy our cars.

lol yea id o most of it i havent put anything in to for about a month cept for some gas but yea i know there will always be more mopars for sale but they will go up in price than they already are. I know they will go down but not any time soon, oh yea i found a 68 just sitting in some guys back yard the other day and aslked if it was for sale he told me to get the f  @#$  off his lawn and stop looking at his car from the back yard. lol I said srry its not my fault its just sitting there its like sleeping beuty and i want to go wake it up but then he said he was going to call the cops for trespassing, but its almost in perfect conditon cept for it having like 3 different rims and none of them have air :-\  but the body and everything is perfect and its metalic bronze.... my favorite stocj color! :icon_smile_big: lol i dunno just thought i say later guys for now and thanks for all the power pointers, i really learned alot from this site!
mopar muscle!!!

71440charger

lol yea id o most of it i havent put anything in to for about a month cept for some gas but yea i know there will always be more mopars for sale but they will go up in price than they already are. I know they will go down but not any time soon, oh yea i found a 68 just sitting in some guys back yard the other day and aslked if it was for sale he told me to get the f @#$ off his lawn and stop looking at his car from the back yard. lol I said srry its not my fault its just sitting there its like sleeping beuty and i want to go wake it up but then he said he was going to call the cops for trespassing, but its almost in perfect conditon cept for it having like 3 different rims and none of them have air :-\ but the body and everything is perfect and its metalic bronze.... my favorite stocj color! :icon_smile_big: lol i dunno just thought i say later guys for now and thanks for all the power pointers, i really learned alot from this site!

well tell him to getthe cobb out of his butt and drive the car andto not sit and let it rot
The Killer Cam

dodge freak

He might have got layed a few times in it and "loves" it now  but is to dumb and or lazy to get it running again. You might want to check city hall and see if that town allows cars to sit in a backyard, my town doesn't. If so ,tell them about it and then he have to move it. Might just put it in the garage but then again he might sell it. Yeah thats mean but he was mean to you. Back in the 80's when you were not around, the junk yards were smashing up the late 60's and early 70's cars all the time and they were rust free too. This one yard had 7 or 8 nice old mopars one was a New Yorker 72 with a 440 in perfect shape but the drivers front was hit but not too bad. Anyways I went back the next week and they were all gone, the worker told me the owner compress them and sold them for scrap. I was going to jank some stuff off them. Now with e-bay the junk yards think everything is like gold. Have fun in life and don't forget about us. Later.

fast360

Hey Mopar Head,

I understand your problem, I bought my 73 when i was 17 and it had a tired 360 with 2.71 gears and it
wasn't exactly fast, and i got made fun of for how big it was. And now I'm into a pricey small block build. I read around about engine combos and this article is pretty sweet they get 100hp more out of a rebuild 318 with stock heads you will definite need gears i went with 3.73 and i like them i would rather have 3.90, but it works they work great, with that combo you wont be in the 12.'s or maybe 14.'s but it will get up and go.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1968181674

try that link and see what you think , I know I'm a poet  :icon_bs: