News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

high horsepower 318

Started by mopar_head, April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouseman

Good dual plane intake, headers, 600 cfm carb, and a mild cam.  Simple, with excellent results.  And

NOTICE HOW IMPORTANT THE IGNITION WAS!!! 

73Charger

knowing what the other mods might give, I'm guessing the cam alone with its lifters brought 50HP - not bad. I like it!  :devil:
but i've nexver done it on a dodge.. only a chevy nova I supercharged. what would be different?  How much would just a cam change change the mpg? thats what i'm thinking - conservative impromevments of low cost and keeping my 20+ MPH rating.  :icon_smile_wink:
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

dodge freak

You go with a small cam like C C 252 that gives 206 @ .050 it change your milage very little. With your times-16.66 you could be better off with a new mid size car. There is a bunch that are mid 15 sec and get 25-30 mpg. No its not a Charger but it go better and get better milage than you get now. Just something to think about. Even one a few years old like a Grand AM GT would be better all around than what you have now.

73Charger

Not interested in another car. I have an 11 second summer car with great mileage already - just see my site ( FindFastCars.com )
I love my Charger. I love driving it even though its no barn burner.  I've just been curious about getting it a bit more respect for her since I luv her so much.
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

tkkruzer

hey dude , check these sites out they really worked for me.http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/155_0312_318_long_block_bolt_ons/http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0401_318/http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html  :-*let me say this one thing about ricers. at any time you can become one of them, but i'm reasonably sure that at no time can they become like you. you have a piece of american muscle and history they drive japanese. you drive a V8 they drive beer cans with marbles in them. I say forget what they say there car will never be worth what your car is. :yesnod:take care dude :icon_smile_cool:

LargerCharger383

Quote from: mopar_head on April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM
dam kids with there ricers ( calling my car a grandma car cuz its a 73) they'll never understand

I'm 18 and senior in high school, I know how you feel! I have a '74 charger, but I guess no one really makes fun of it.  I drag on some back roads and eat those hot wheels cars alive!

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: grouseman on May 31, 2006, 08:48:10 AM
Good dual plane intake, headers, 600 cfm carb, and a mild cam.  Simple, with excellent results.  And

NOTICE HOW IMPORTANT THE IGNITION WAS!!! 

I agree, my 318 runs great with the dual plane and a mild cam and a 600 cfm. The single plane $ucked , it had a dead spot out of the hole.

flchargerfan

Quote from: 71440charger on April 18, 2006, 07:43:28 PM
if you want to keep your 318 then put 360 heads on it then you will get some power just my opinion at 16 all you need isa 318 with the 360 heads beacuse i know how i was when i was 16 and you are just going to burn that motor up anyway and i know this beacusei burned 3 motors up with my old dodge d-50 from 16-17yr old so go with the 360 heads on your 318.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 302 heads that came on the later year SBs. They have a smaller combustion chamber, so it will bump up your CR a bit. They are sometimes referred to as "swirl port" heads. Make sure you check them for cracks though before you slap 'em on.

mopar_head

were can i find the 302 heads??? are they expensive??
mopar muscle!!!

Bones68charger

I have been looking for them also, they are running about $160 (2) in a junkyard $375 rebuilt. Call some slavage yards. #302s are from 88-91? 318s.

mopar_head

375 for both??? i might just do that.... got to check out the junk yards though ....
mopar muscle!!!

Bones68charger

The $375 is for the rebuilt ones, there are plenty of websites that offer them. You might want to ask some of the more mechanically inclined guys what machining might be done do get the max performance out of them.

tkkruzer

I got mine off a 1 ton van and paid 45$ each . do you have a pull your own auto parts junkyard? good luck on the hunt :icon_smile_cool:TK

mopar_head

yea i do got a pull your own parts junk yard out here.... need to go there this weekend....
mopar muscle!!!

Bones68charger

That is what I am going to do also, sucks that I have to drive 150 miles to get to one.

mopar_head

are the 302 heads alumninum??? do i need a new valve train for that year of head like the magnums???
mopar muscle!!!

Bones68charger

They are not aluminum, Hot Rod did a high hp 318 build and this article will tell you everything they did to the 318. They got it above 400 hp, but remember horsepower costs $$$$$ I know your young, and I was in your same boat 7 years ago. Remember by just adding these heads are not going to bump up your hp rating a ton, you will have to get them machined, and do some other things to your engine. carb, intake, cam....

I would take your time and learn as much as possible. There are a ton of good guys on this board that have helped me a ton, plus in my honest opinion I don't know if I really wanted a high hp engine in my teens, my 318 2bbl got me in enough trouble..

Here is the article.... http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

mopar_head

thats true and i do know its not gunna be cheap but its always fun to have a decent fast car, plus im not really shooting for high numbers,,, not yet anyways, just want to get past a lil over 200 hp at least, i know its not much now but i'll get better stuff with time, money, and experience
mopar muscle!!!

tkkruzer

what i've read here is that there are alot of guys with unlimited funds who can build awsome power plants and brag about it. I on the other hand am on a limited budget so i'm into simplicity. it is easy to get impressive power out of simple affordable changes like intakes,carbs,and cams. the heads you seek will require some machining to get the power these articles advertise. if you can do it yourself then thats better. i've read some articles featuring high HP 318's on a budget, problem is there budget is far higher then mine. so in one word! READ as much as possible and find out the simple little secrets you can afford and jump on them..and remember you are driving a piece of automotive history the other guys drive japanese beer cans  :keep up the good work..TK

Bones68charger

Quote from: mopar_head on March 15, 2007, 12:49:37 PM
thats true and i do know its not gunna be cheap but its always fun to have a decent fast car, plus im not really shooting for high numbers,,, not yet anyways, just want to get past a lil over 200 hp at least, i know its not much now but i'll get better stuff with time, money, and experience

Good idea... It's crazy because you sound just like me when I was 17 just starting to chat on this board. It's amazing how much I have learned, now sometimes I am giving advise which amazes me...... Stuff on a high school budget you can get would be a carb, intake cam. Maybe timing chain and dual exhaust. There are plenty of bolt ons you can do right now to give you that nudge.

I would seriously consider putting on some duals.. If you can make it sounds cool it would be really satisfying. 

I live in Nebraska and everyday after school I washed combines, and other farm implement to pay for my Charger... All the weekends and holidays I have up was well worth it. My friends had the day off but I had the bitchn' ride.

Hard work pays off, and be patient! It will come, but don't wait too long because if you get married you might have to wait another 20 years :)

flchargerfan

Quote from: mopar_head on March 15, 2007, 12:40:20 AM
are the 302 heads alumninum??? do i need a new valve train for that year of head like the magnums???
No, you don't need a new valve train with them, which is why I mentioned them. They have a smaller combustion chamber that will increase CR, plus they should flow better than what you have now.
If you've got a little more money for the new valvetrain, the Magnums are better than the 302s. But you'll either need to re-drill the heads to match your current intake or drill the intake to match the heads, plus the other valvetrain stuff. The 302s don't require any of that AFAIK.

The article should tell you what you need to know about the 302s. Good Luck! :laugh:

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: Beer on April 18, 2006, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: mopar_head on April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM
im new to the forum and i got a 318 '73 charger, i am also new at this, haha im only 16 but i wanted to know if u guys can give some pointers and/ or advise so i can get a high horsepowered small block so i can show up all those dam kids with there ricers ( calling my car a grandma car cuz its a 73) they'll never understand , anyways just want ed to know if u can help me out! thnx!!!

Funny, my 73 was my wifes grandmothers car (origional owners)...
What you have is a classic. As the ricers deprieciate, your car if you bring it back to life, with appreciate in value...
While they are running around getting tickets acting a fool and causing accidents, you got that big ass back seat area (as well as front area if ya have a bench seat), to hang out with your girlfriend...

My wifes grandmothers car now has a small block all forged stroker 402, machined out of the origional 318.  Its 414 HP N/A, and may get a 150-200 shot of Nitrous next year. Not bad for a grandmothers car.

:yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :icon_smile_approve: Great idea!!!! Couldn't of said it any better.

Beer

1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

K9COP

I thought the 318's made 230bhp stock anyway..
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

mopar_head

Quote from: flchargerfan on March 17, 2007, 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: mopar_head on March 15, 2007, 12:40:20 AM
No, you don't need a new valve train with them, which is why I mentioned them. They have a smaller combustion chamber that will increase CR, plus they should flow better than what you have now.
If you've got a little more money for the new valvetrain, the Magnums are better than the 302s. But you'll either need to re-drill the heads to match your current intake or drill the intake to match the heads, plus the other valvetrain stuff. The 302s don't require any of that AFAIK.

The article should tell you what you need to know about the 302s. Good Luck! :laugh:

ok good thats good to know,,, still havent found any.... wat years did those heads come off anyway??
mopar muscle!!!

mopar_head

Quote from: CaymanSublime on March 18, 2007, 01:12:37 AM
I thought the 318's made 230bhp stock anyway..

i think the pre 71's did, when emmision standards rose.... compression and power dropped really low
mopar muscle!!!