News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Hood Insulation Clips

Started by holanae, November 01, 2016, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holanae

I need the correct hood insulation clips for my 68.  The ones that came with the insulation from Classic Industries do not fit.  They're the stainless steel clips with the rectangular head.  The pin head is slightly larger than the holes.  I could always drill out the holes a bit to allow them to fit, but really don't want to do that if I can find the correct ones.

Correction:  I got them from DMT

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger chris

I have OE ones if u want PM me and I send u pics. Your box is full. I can't box u.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

69bfan

That is a known problem with all of the reproduction hood pad clips.  There has been at least three different manufactures of the clips and they are all a bit too tight when you attempt to push them into the hole.  I do not know how the DMT clips fit, but the last run of clips I bought did not have the issue.  If you are able to get them into the hole, there is the chance that they will pop back out as the car runs and vibrates.  I have had customers take and slightly file the mounting tabs and this seems to help so that they will fit.  The molded hood pads are so fragile that they can be easily broken as you try to push the clips into place.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

BrianShaughnessy

I bought them off Vans and they didn't fit my AMD hood.   ::)     So for temporary use I got a bag of 25 of the plastic GM type for $5... they don't fit much better but I got most of them in for the time being.

Let us know how you make out.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Moparparts

If charger chris don't get you fixed up i have originals PM or e-mail me

holanae

I ground down the sides of the pin on one, and it still didn't go in correctly.  Since I damaged the pad trying to install the pins, I will be calling DMT for a full replacement or refund.

ODZKing

Quote from: holanae on November 01, 2016, 09:16:49 PM
I ground down the sides of the pin on one, and it still didn't go in correctly.  Since I damaged the pad trying to install the pins, I will be calling DMT for a full replacement or refund.
The DMT ones didn't fit ... I am surprised.  He is usually quite particular about making his items fit before he sells them.
I do know mine were quite tight and a little spray with WD40 helped.

Charger-Bodie

The holes on the amd hood are far too small. The clips fit way too tight on original hoods ,but you have to drill the holes on an amd.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

holanae

I contacted DMT, and they quickly offered up a replacement.  They know about the issue, and are making a gauge for their manufacturer to use.  After restoring my car, I had completely gave up on vendors standing behind their products.  I got so many excuses for why they couldn't accept the return of a defective product.  The one that took the cake for me was when AMD blamed metal warpage from the sun.  No bs

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 02, 2016, 12:30:29 PM
The holes on the amd hood are far too small. The clips fit way too tight on original hoods ,but you have to drill the holes on an amd.

Old rotted hood went to metal pile years ago so I don't exactly know the 'stock' measurement...  and I'm slightly hesitant to drill out 20+ holes in a freshly painted hood now   :P   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

gtx6970

After breaking almost half of the metal hood insulation clips trying to install them on the past 3 or 4 cars ( all original hoods btw )  ,,,,,or damaging a brand new hood pad trying to install said clips,,,,,,, I went to the plastic ones and never looked back .

I'll be honest,,,most shows nobody knows the difference

charger chris

Quote from: holanae on November 03, 2016, 06:06:45 AM
I contacted DMT, and they quickly offered up a replacement.  They know about the issue, and are making a gauge for their manufacturer to use.  After restoring my car, I had completely gave up on vendors standing behind their products.  I got so many excuses for why they couldn't accept the return of a defective product.  The one that took the cake for me was when AMD blamed metal warpage on the sun.  No bs
metal war page from the sun. :scratchchin:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

holanae

metal war page from the sun. :scratchchin:
[/quote]

I meant that AMD blamed the sun for the poorly stamped 68 rear tail panel I bought from them.  Stated that I left the metal in the sun, and it caused it to deform.  Went with Goodmark for all my panel needs with exception of the tail panel & rear lower corners.  I only had trouble with the AMD pieces.  Go figure.