News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice/guidance on power steering worm shaft seal replacement

Started by XH29N0G, October 30, 2016, 09:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I believe I have a leaking worm shaft seal (see picture below just after turning the wheels).  I have pulled up several threads on this forum and others, and it looks like the shaft seal can be replaced in car, and without too much fuss. 

I have some questions. 

1) In some threads it says the fix works, in others it says other issues will arise so it is better to pull and rebuild the box.  I see no other leaks so I am thinking about doing the fix.  I am hoping it will solve my leak.

2) The FSM says to remove the steering column (all the way) which involves  disconnecting wires, etc...  Can this be done simply by removing the coupling and pulling the shaft up a little (removing the bolts that hold it in place on the firewall and dash and then pulling it up) or does the whole steering shaft have to be removed.

3) I will gladly listen to any advice you have.

thanks
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

Try some "miracle in a bottle" leak stopper like Lucas PS Leak Stopper.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 30, 2016, 01:47:28 PM

Try some "miracle in a bottle" leak stopper like Lucas PS Leak Stopper.

I'm trying that, but so far it hasn't stopped it.   

Or maybe it protects us. 

Bronzedodge

Here's the thing about power boxes.  The high pressure side is close to 1000 psi.  The return pressure is not much - you can check the level at idle.  There's a right and left high pressure chamber, oriented middle and bottom of the box.  A pair of o rings separate the box high pressure chambers from the low pressure chamber, which is at the top, other side of your leaking shaft seal.  If they are old or worn, higher pressure fluid leaks past and pushes against the shaft seal.

In other words, changing out the seal and bushing may not work.  BTDT.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

XH29N0G

Quote from: Bronzedodge on November 01, 2016, 12:25:26 PM
Here's the thing about power boxes.  The high pressure side is close to 1000 psi.  The return pressure is not much - you can check the level at idle.  There's a right and left high pressure chamber, oriented middle and bottom of the box.  A pair of o rings separate the box high pressure chambers from the low pressure chamber, which is at the top, other side of your leaking shaft seal.  If they are old or worn, higher pressure fluid leaks past and pushes against the shaft seal.

In other words, changing out the seal and bushing may not work.  BTDT.   :Twocents:

Thank you for the explanation.  It doesn't sound like the possibility I want.  I am guessing I could try the seal, but if that doesn't work, then your point is that I have a  bigger issue.   

Or maybe it protects us.