News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silly question but just curious.......biggest "big block"!!?

Started by alfaitalia, November 01, 2016, 10:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

I was just discussing this at work....no.. I'm not busy!!.... What is the biggest capacity you can stroke a 440 to (looking at the kits you can buy I'm guessing at around 600 in) and what is the biggest capacity known of in a street car when using a custom/modded block. I'm talking street legal and not a pure race/drag car here. And taking it further which DC member has the biggest "440"? As we all know....size does matter!!! LOL!

There is a little more than curiosity here as now it looks like I've secured a 69 Charger 440 as a project Im into the planning/costings stages....and have decided to go BIG on the engine. Depending on how the funds go (and my wife convincing powers!) I may even go blown.....but that's different story.

I look forward to your replies as always!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Bronzedodge

Mopar forever!

Mike DC

Once you get past about 600" it starts heading towards a full-aftermarket job (even the architecture). And it ends up being more of a Chevy motor whether you like it or not.

Big motor and high performance are two different things.  IMO the payoff for increasing size is probably peaked after 500 inches, at least for anything besides going in a straight line on a track.

Our cars are too heavy.  Nobody likes to hear it but it's true.  You could put 1500 horsepower into a Ram pickup but a decent 408" Duster would probably run circles around it in the real world.  

alfaitalia

I'm not after absolute max power....at least for now!....what I want is a big lazy torquey motor that produces good power at lowish revs and for that there is nothing to replace cubes (or an 8-71!).  If it produces a fair few horses without sacrificing that flexibility....bonus!

John_Kunkel

On the 440 (and all big block Mopars) the camshaft position becomes the limiting factor in the stroke. Any stroke exceeding 4 1/2" will put the rod into the camshaft neighborhood on a stock 440 block which limits it to around 550 inches. The aftermarket 4 1/2" bore blocks will accept a stroke of 4 3/4" stroke for 604 inches.

The "raised cam" Hemi blocks will tolerate a 5" stroke and 636 inches.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

chargerbr549

Another thing to think about is when you start getting the stroke around 4.375 and above you will most likely have to goto a dry sump system since there won't be much room to run a factory style oil pickup tube which will definately add to the cost and complication for a street car, just something to think about. 440 Source has some good info regarding what you might run into with the different stroker kits.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 01, 2016, 12:55:10 PM

Once you get past about 600" it starts heading towards a full-aftermarket job (even the architecture). And it ends up being more of a Chevy motor whether you like it or not.

Big motor and high performance are two different things.  IMO the payoff for increasing size is probably peaked after 500 inches, at least for anything besides going in a straight line on a track.

Our cars are too heavy.  Nobody likes to hear it but it's true.  You could put 1500 horsepower into a Ram pickup but a decent 408" Duster would probably run circles around it in the real world.  

i wouldnt really consider our cars heavy compared to the cars of today and even back then. the big block chevelles were the same weight, big block mustangs of 69-71 again the same.

Mike DC

Old Mopars weren't pigs for their time & place.  But most Detroit cars, old or new, are too heavy for real performance.  

2000lbs/200hp will beat 4000lbs/400hp in the real world.  

alfaitalia

Depends what you are used too I guess. According to my book  a 69 440 RT rocks up at about 3650 lb...that under 1700 kg....not that heavy by today's standards....about the same as my last BMW 528i which was only 193 horses. That went ok....but probably handled rather better than a stock Charger!

Mike DC

I'm not just taking a snipe at Detroit, although our American stuff is some of the heaviest.  Most production cars around the world are overweight for what we try to make them do.