News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'73 Charger suspension lift

Started by greenWX, October 15, 2016, 07:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenWX

I just bought a '73 charger and I'm hoping to lift it an inch or two, because it seems to low and the muffler hits the speedbumps. I'm just wondering what kind of lift kit I could use and how.

HPP

A 3/4" socket and breaker bar is all you need, no kit required.

Unload the front end, turn the adjust blade bolt in the center of the control arm, drop,drive, adjust as necessary. If you go more than an inch of adjustment, you will want to get a new alignment. Request alignment specs for a 2005 Mustang GT instead of stock Charger specs.

Nacho-RT74

Once front is raised, rear will drop, so will need get new springs or re-arch your ones. the cheaper way is actually get the larger rear shackles setup with several positions to set, but they look awfull.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Alan73Charger

Quote from: HPP on October 16, 2016, 10:38:32 AM
A 3/4" socket and breaker bar is all you need, no kit required.

Unload the front end, turn the adjust blade bolt in the center of the control arm, drop,drive, adjust as necessary. If you go more than an inch of adjustment, you will want to get a new alignment. Request alignment specs for a 2005 Mustang GT instead of stock Charger specs.

HPP -  I'm doing some tie rod ends and sleeves now on my 73 so will need an alignment soon.  Should you always request these specs for the GT you mention or is this just in regards to this particular suspension lift?

Thanks
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

HPP

I'd request them for any classic mopar for one big reason which has a lot of small justifications within it.

The overlying reason for this change is because radial tires most of us use today will tolerate a much wider range of adjustment than the bias ply tires most of these cars had when new. This wider range of tolerance means you can use more aggressive specs, which will translate into improve road feel and better performance from the car.

The two biggest pieces of that are negative camber and positive caster. Negative camber allows the tires to grip better as the body rolls over in a corner. Positive caster has several positive attributes to it. Improved dynamic camber gain is a big one, and improved high speed stability is another biggie. The additional caster also improves return to center characteristics and has a side benefit of increased steering effort, which is not a bad thing with the naturally over-assisted Mopar steering system.

Now, if you use bias ply tires or have manual steering than you would want to stick with the OEM Chrysler specifications to prevent unusual wear and increased steering effort.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: HPP on October 27, 2016, 09:28:17 AM
I'd request them for any classic mopar for one big reason which has a lot of small justifications within it.

The overlying reason for this change is because radial tires most of us use today will tolerate a much wider range of adjustment than the bias ply tires most of these cars had when new. This wider range of tolerance means you can use more aggressive specs, which will translate into improve road feel and better performance from the car.

The two biggest pieces of that are negative camber and positive caster. Negative camber allows the tires to grip better as the body rolls over in a corner. Positive caster has several positive attributes to it. Improved dynamic camber gain is a big one, and improved high speed stability is another biggie. The additional caster also improves return to center characteristics and has a side benefit of increased steering effort, which is not a bad thing with the naturally over-assisted Mopar steering system.

Now, if you use bias ply tires or have manual steering than you would want to stick with the OEM Chrysler specifications to prevent unusual wear and increased steering effort.

Thanks for the info.  And no bias ply tires here.   I'll have new tubular uppers and some new bushings on the LCA, new tie rod ends and sleeves, new pitman and idler arms, and my most anticipated addition will be the FF stage 2 steering box.  I've talked to a shop who assured me they can align it perfectly.  He was at least aware of the extra positive caster the new UCA's would give me so that made me feel comfortable that he knows what he's doing.
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!