News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger value?

Started by Road Dog, October 11, 2016, 02:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Dog

I'm fixin to do battle with the county tax folks about my Charger. About 3 years ago They out of the blue said my Charger was worth about 65,000 bucks and were taxing accordingly. I took a lot of pics and talked it down to the high 20's. This year they bumped it up again to 43,000 bucks. My charger is fairly solid 318 car with a 440 now. I'd figure it is maybe 15,000 give or take. What is a realistic range for this car in the current market? Thanks
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

RallyeMike

I don't think anyone here can do a better job than the county without a whole lot more info. Why not get it appraised so that you are armed for the battle once and for all?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A12 Superbee

You get taxed regularly on cars you already own over there in the states? :o
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

Mopar Nut

Good luck, my Charger has been valued around $35,000 even without a paint job and interior. 
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Road Dog

I did the NADA formula and it was a low of 7900 and a high of 32,000. The average was 20,000. I think that sounds good. County has just seen a way to suck more money out of us. Before 3 or 4 years ago I had been paying about 10 bucks a year. Then they tried to tax me 600 dollar year.

lukedukem

Quote from: A12 Superbee on October 11, 2016, 03:45:47 PM

Not in all states. I live in texas and I've never been taxed on my charger.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

elks

Taxing a car whose the dumbass who came up with that

HANDM

Quote from: Road Dog on October 11, 2016, 02:16:40 PM
I'm fixin to do battle with the county tax folks about my Charger. About 3 years ago They out of the blue said my Charger was worth about 65,000 bucks and were taxing accordingly. I took a lot of pics and talked it down to the high 20's. This year they bumped it up again to 43,000 bucks. My charger is fairly solid 318 car with a 440 now. I'd figure it is maybe 15,000 give or take. What is a realistic range for this car in the current market? Thanks

Are you talking about the tabs on your licsence plate or what? I live in extremely over taxed WA and have never had any taxes applied to my cars except for the tabs. I got collector plates and now, no tab tax......

RallyeMike

QuoteAre you talking about the tabs on your licsence plate or what? I live in extremely over taxed WA and have never had any taxes applied to my cars except for the tabs. I got collector plates and now, no tab tax......

Some states ridiculously tax you every year on the value of your personal belongings, like this poor guys Charger. Considering we don't have that or an income tax in WA, it makes our high sales and property taxes seem not so bad.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Road Dog

The sticker (tag) on North Carolina plates and property tax on your vehicle have been combined. Tag renewel on a personalized plate is 66 bucks , but you also must pay your property tax with this.

A12 Superbee

Quote from: lukedukem on October 11, 2016, 05:20:57 PM

Luke

I'm shocked! If they tried that shit in Australia we'd all hop on our kangaroo's and ride to Parliament house and boot out our politicians and string em up!
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.

ws23rt

I always felt  that the tax I have to pay on my home (I'm in Oregon)(that was paid off many years ago) was like paying rent forever.
I bought and paid for my home and I still have to pay to live in it. :shruggy:
It is a cruel slap in the face for someone that worked hard and saved to be in a place of peace from the gov.
I don't have to pay rent on my cars but keeping current tags on them is the same thing.
I just hope they don't find out I have a lawn mower and a chainsaw. :slap:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: A12 Superbee on October 11, 2016, 09:46:20 PM

Luke

I'm shocked! If they tried that shit in Australia we'd all hop on our kangaroo's and ride to Parliament house and boot out our politicians and string em up!
Can I borrow one of your kangaroo's and would it make it to D.C?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

41husk

I llinois does not have personel property tax.  Missouri and Virginia both do.  That being said, what do you have your charger insured for?  Do you have agreed value? I would think a agreed value policy would be proof of estimated value :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ht4spd307

Luke

you think ? like we did with our semi auto guns .whats that saying she'll be right mate

moparnation74

Luke
Correct...for most states when registered as an antique you don't pay taxes

Homerr

Another WA taxpayer here, overall we have the most regressive tax systems in the nation where poorer people pay a higher rate than everyone else.  I have no kids and I live in Seattle, so I pay for schools I don't use and infrastructure on the more rural east side of the state.  Our high license tab fees go to a bunch of things including mass transit.  We also rank pretty low on federal tax dollars put back in to our state.

As for taxes, I don't mind paying them at all.  That is as long as teachers are teaching others out there that I interact with not to be dumbasses, as long as I can drive on those eastern roads whenever I want, and building mass transit will get the 53mph Prius/Leaf lemmings off the freeway then I'm all for it.

As for your 69 Charger maybe Hagerty can help as a neutral valuation tool.  Scroll down for the value based on condition.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1969-Dodge-Charger

Road Dog

I have the car insured for 20,000 bucks.  Yeah,  these property taxes remind me of folks that have had land in the family for a couple hundred years and the taxes keep going on it and eventually the family can't afford the taxes and the government takes the land.   

Troy

We don't have property tax here in Ohio other than houses but I believe Kentucky does charge property tax on vehicles. I pay sales tax when I purchase a car then reasonable registration for plates each year (about $60 each) with the exception of my "historical" cars which have plates that are good until 2050 or something. I think being taxed indefinitely for stuff you own is ridiculous (you can argue that homes are sitting on land encompassed by the city/county/state and therefore receive some benefit). Having said that, I have no idea how they'd determine the value of your own stuff. I know that homes seem to be consistently over valued around here by the "drive by" county appraisers BUT I also believe they can only hike the tax a certain amount each year (2%?). I can't imagine having a 3-4x increase in a year without undergoing a major restoration. Most cars decrease in value...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A12 Superbee

Quote from: ht4spd307 on October 12, 2016, 07:42:03 AM

Luke

you think ? like we did with our semi auto guns .whats that saying she'll be right mate
Like we ever needed those here anyway. and I speak from experience. I'm a licenced shooter, have half a dozen rifles and shotties and have clocked up 21 years in the military, and I can tell you anyone that thinks we need semi-auto centrefires in Australia is kidding themselves. Thankfully, all our Police have to deal with now is the odd bikie or jihadi with a pistol, not a machine gun. We are all better off for the lack of semi-auto's, believe me! The US is a different story, I think they have just cause to not trust their government if they are being taxed just for owning a car.

alfaitalia

.......well I'm sure that won't cause an over reaction from US members! Lol! No political posts don't forget! Bot....ish. In the UK, with very few exceptions, we pay an annual tax on all road legal vehicles. Amount varies on mainly emissions levels (eco friendly boxes can pay as little as nothing...big 4x4s pay over £500 (about $600) per year. On older vehicles it's based purely on engine capacity.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

375instroke

Quote from: ws23rt on October 11, 2016, 09:58:36 PM
I always felt  that the tax I have to pay on my home (I'm in Oregon)(that was paid off many years ago) was like paying rent forever.
I bought and paid for my home and I still have to pay to live in it. :shruggy:

Property taxes are used for things like a police force, fire department, and local roads.  Societies cost money.

70-500-SE-EXPORT

In my state of RI they also charge a yearly tax on the book value on all cars valued over $1500 and they overvalue all my cars. However for some reason vehicles with antique plates are EXEPMT from the tax! Maybe its worth looking into if your state has a similar tax with antique plates.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

BrianShaughnessy

NY:   Property taxes on real estate.      Cars get registration fees but no property tax.   Do pay sales taxes when you purchase a car based on county tax rate (mine is 8%).

I don't bother with historical plates...  there's no payoff for the historical because it's not like it's cheap or anything... and I really don't give a crap about vanity plates either.

I'd rather have the PA system where they have a one time / lifetime charge for historical plates.  :Twocents:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 13, 2016, 12:34:45 PM
NY:   Property taxes on real estate.      Cars get registration fees but no property tax.   Do pay sales taxes when you purchase a car based on county tax rate (mine is 8%).

I don't bother with historical plates...  there's no payoff for the historical because it's not like it's cheap or anything... and I really don't give a crap about vanity plates either.

I'd rather have the PA system where they have a one time / lifetime charge for historical plates.  :Twocents:

That's what we have. About $35 and valid for 50 years. There are some stipulations - like you're only supposed to drive to shows and parades with the exception of maintenance. Since my cars are constantly broken I could claim maintenance every day.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.