News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Daytona no one wanted article

Started by johntpr, October 03, 2016, 06:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

white

I work with a guy who grew up in Conneaut, Ohio and was friends with the brother who first bought the Daytona.I heard the same story from him that was in that Article. The guy at work also told me that the daytona car was used to haul wood for about 5 years. He said there was only a drivers front seat ,no trunk lid,no wing and no nose when my co worker seen the car when dirt bike riding in the woods. but he remembers the flush window in the back. This story came up on a weekend at work when I drove my 68 charger to work for the first time 15 years ago! I too thought the story was little made up when I first heard it. I am going to ask the guy at work tonight if there is any pictures of the car before the Daytona parts were installed back on.

500Jon

Most Folks still don't want them lol... :slap:

I heard someone say at the Mopar Nats UK, standing next to his own hemi car, ''who would want THAT rusty, 'cobbled-up' Daytona''?
''It would take a million dollars to put that car right'' :shruggy:

Sorta true, but not all surviving Daytona's are 100% factory correct restorations?
LJ
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

XX is Coolio, the only thing betta is a XXXX on a hot day!!! :coolgleamA:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

Interesting story I seen this car at mopar nats early days it was cool custom

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

GOTWING

So to get rid of an un wanted car they sunk more money into it by the extra expense of putting a charger front end on it body work paint etc. I don't buy that any of the winged cars were converted back when new, makes no business sense what so ever to purchase all of the parts needed to do it plus the paint work and the internal labor charges figuring they have their own body shop instead of just a heavy discount. :eek2:

white

your correct why put all that time and money just to try and sell the car. Better off selling at a big discount. Does anyone know about what year the picture is from the Nats .

billssuperbird

I seen the car and talked to the gentleman who owns it about 3 years ago. The car and the story were Great.  :2thumbs:

Aero426

In general, the Daytonas sold pretty quick.    Perhaps a few rural cars did not for whatever reason.   Elmer Duellman's 307 mile car is one of them.     The story on Elmer's was the small town dealer was not at all familiar with selling performance cars.   Dealer felt they had to paint it a bright color (FJ5), then they parked it on the back lot through the winter of 69-70 until spring. 

My feeling is if you couldn't sell just ONE unique car like this, you aren't much of a salesman.    The guy who bought BoatTona was well aware these cars were a one shot deal.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on October 04, 2016, 02:20:26 PM
In general, the Daytonas sold pretty quick.    Perhaps a few rural cars did not for whatever reason.   Elmer Duellman's 307 mile car is one of them.     The story on Elmer's was the small town dealer was not at all familiar with selling performance cars.   Dealer felt they had to paint it a bright color (FJ5), then they parked it on the back lot through the winter of 69-70 until spring. 

My feeling is if you couldn't sell just ONE unique car like this, you aren't much of a salesman.    The guy who bought BoatTona was well aware these cars were a one shot deal.   

The Daytonas were a sell out.  It is known that some Birds languished on the lots...  Were they "dealer converted" to move??  Without concrete proof, who knows!!   :shruggy:   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RCCDrew

Well, the pictures show that one was converted at some time or other.

held1823

do they? this one wasn't. i can't find the photo of it with the wing off and the stripe not on it, but it happened well after 1969
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

paironines

There are pictures and a story on one of the forgotten mopar cars in barns type web sites with a red normal looking Charger at a car show with a smooth back window and wings brackets in the trunk. Ill have to remember where i seen the pics as i believe the Vin was shown as well.

GOTWING

From everything that I have heard Superbirds may have been converted back when they were just used car a few years old due to banged up noses or just not liking the aero look.70 Roadrunner / Satellite front ends were dime a dozen dirt cheap back in the late 70's

ksquared

Quote from: paironines on October 05, 2016, 07:38:59 AM
There are pictures and a story on one of the forgotten mopar cars in barns type web sites with a red normal looking Charger at a car show with a smooth back window and wings brackets in the trunk. Ill have to remember where i seen the pics as i believe the Vin was shown as well.

YES!    :o

I actually have the couple of photographs that were posted.  The VIN is XX29J9B414638.  There were a couple of others I think with the shag carpet covering the dash and VIN and maybe one or two of the trunk area.  The last photograph is of legendary Canadian driver Jaques Duval who I think was the original owner, but somebody might correct me on that.  Somewhere else too is a video of Jaques Duval driving this very Daytona back in 1969 when it was new.

RCCDrew

Quote from: held1823 on October 04, 2016, 10:29:19 PM

do they? this one wasn't. i can't find the photo of it with the wing off and the stripe not on it, but it happened well after 1969
Looking at the back window of the blue 70 would give you a better idea. The vintage pics of the red 69 looks like it has the C500 back window.

held1823

Quote from: RCCDrew on October 05, 2016, 10:09:01 AM

Looking at the back window of the blue 70 would give you a better idea. The vintage pics of the red 69 looks like it has the C500 back window.

the "blue 70" i posted the photo is a real daytona
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: held1823 on October 05, 2016, 05:47:14 PM
Quote from: RCCDrew on October 05, 2016, 10:09:01 AM

the "blue 70" i posted the photo is a real daytona

I seen that real Daytona

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: ksquared on October 05, 2016, 09:01:46 AM
Quote from: paironines on October 05, 2016, 07:38:59 AM

YES!    :o

I actually have the couple of photographs that were posted.  The VIN is XX29J9B414638.  There were a couple of others I think with the shag carpet covering the dash and VIN and maybe one or two of the trunk area.  The last photograph is of legendary Canadian driver Jaques Duval who I think was the original owner, but somebody might correct me on that.  Somewhere else too is a video of Jaques Duval driving this very Daytona back in 1969 when it was new.

One of two Hemi Daytonas sold in Quebec at dealerships within 100 miles of each other. Duval did a road test for his TV show, the car was returned to the dealer and sold. It was rumored to have burned and having been scrapped, but it surfaced as that red car and is now being restored in Western Canada...

Video of the road test: https://youtu.be/RlCk5KoCDF8

Ben