News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power window swap

Started by 70 sublime, May 11, 2016, 06:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Has anybody switched from manual windows to power windows in a 68 69 or 70 Charger ?
I have a chance to pick up a power window set up for my 69 Charger from a 69 Charger

Any pit falls to avoid ?

On a factory power window car is the wiring harness a separate piece or bundled in with everything else ?
Is it worth sorting out or just run new wire to the switches ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

70 sublime

The wires that go into the doors

Are they fed through the door jam into the door or do they come out of the doors through the door post to a plug  in the kick panel ?

Just trying to figure out what I will have to do to re install in my car
Sounds like the guy cut the wires at the door way to take the doors off but says the rear window harness is still intact

VegasCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 11, 2016, 07:24:50 PM
The wires that go into the doors

Are they fed through the door jam into the door or do they come out of the doors through the door post to a plug  in the kick panel ?

Just trying to figure out what I will have to do to re install in my car
Sounds like the guy cut the wires at the door way to take the doors off but says the rear window harness is still intact

See if these pics will help. This is from my 68 with power windows. I'm pretty sure 69 would be the same except the switch bezels and buttons. This is shortly after I got my car. Please excuse the gold over spray all over the wires from PO. There are no holes in the kick panels or rear door panels. Also I do not know what the hole diameter is for the wire harness grommets because mine are still in place. I did find the round cut out plates that the factory left behind in the car when it came down the line. They were nestled at the bottom of the A pillars, interior side. If I find them I could measure the diameter.

Pics................      :cheers:

VegasCharger

ht4spd307

sorry dont want to hijack this thread but do they repop the floor wire loom covers

70 sublime

Thanks for the pictures

So all the wires for the passenger side come across under the front seats

Where does the power wire come from for the whole system ? (I will assume it goes into the driver door first)
Does it come from it's own fuse in the fuse block that is switched off and on from the key ?

daveco

Excellent reference pictures VegasCharger :2thumbs:
R/Tree

68pplcharger

VegasCharger

Quote from: daveco on May 12, 2016, 10:21:28 AM
Excellent reference pictures VegasCharger :2thumbs:

Thank you :2thumbs:

Quote from: 68pplcharger on May 12, 2016, 10:27:39 AM
:iagree:

Thank you  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 12, 2016, 08:36:15 AM
Thanks for the pictures

So all the wires for the passenger side come across under the front seats

Where does the power wire come from for the whole system ? (I will assume it goes into the driver door first)
Does it come from it's own fuse in the fuse block that is switched off and on from the key ?

Thank you  :2thumbs:

The complete wire harness for power windows is separate on it's own. The power source comes from the cluster gauge ammeter studs. I'll let the pics below help describe the power window harness orientation. Again this is from a 1968 B Body.

Any questions please ask, I may just know the answer.  :cheers:

VegasCharger

:popcrn:

VegasCharger

:popcrn:

70 sublime

Great pictures

Now I know exactly what I will need to find from under the dash

70 sublime

Do factory power windows work with out the key in the car ?

Dino

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 13, 2016, 02:03:00 PM
Do factory power windows work with out the key in the car ?

No they do not.

I did this conversion a few months ago but also installed a pair of DEI 530T modules so the windows will work with ignition off by remote and close automatically by locking the power doors and arming the alarm.

The switches will also become one touch with these units like modern cars.

You could bypass the ignition on your car and feed constant current to the power window wiring if you want.

Do you have the wiring? They ask an arm and a leg for these looms so you may want to consider making your own. It's not that hard.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bad88t-top

Hi guys,
I'm in the final stages of my resto on my 70 Charger RT SE sunroof car and I'm experiencing some Power Window trouble.  I'm having trouble getting power to the door switches.  When I turn the key on I can hear the power window relay click under the dash but that's it.   The motors are new and run fine off of a booster pack.  The ground on the driver side kick panel from the power window harness is clean and fresh.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   I'm planning to reveal my car at the MCACN car show in November and will also be part of the sunroof display, gotta get this figured out so I can get the seats and door panels in.   Im also using the AR 200 NAPA relay.  I followed the wiring schematic in this thread.

The under dash harness has the 10 gauge red wire that goes to the circuit breaker on the back of the cluster and brown plugs down to the power window harness under the drivers kick panel and the tan/white tracer from the harness goes to the fuse box.  I'm currently jumping that wire from a booster pack.  Thanks again.
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT