News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nose Job- Need opinions

Started by NHCharger, September 17, 2016, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

I bought a very rough clone off a member last year. The nose cone is a fiberglass piece which the previous owner thinks was made sometime in the 80's. This nose is the most ill fitting P.O.S. that I've had to deal with. I ended up cutting the bottom corners to help pull the sides in so they would line up with the fenders/valance. The other issue is the slot on the front. as you can see it is not recessed.
How bad would it look if I just surface mounted the grille on top of the nose ::)
Or should I do it right and cut the opening out and fiberglass a recessed section in.
My thinking/excuse is I'm just building a nice driver and it won't look bad with everything on the nose being the same color. Just not sure how bad it would look to surface mount the grille. Has anyone seen one mounted that way??

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Dino

Recess it, it's not that much work, it'll look as it should, and you'll never have to give it a second thought.   :Twocents:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RCCDrew

My humble opinion is to just recess it. I have seen a clone with a messed up nosecone that just messed up an otherwise great car.

JB400

Do it right and recess it.  It'll make for a nicer clone that you'll be able to resale a lot easier later on.

A383Wing

I don't see any headlight bucket mounting tabs either around the openings.....

Nwcharger

Quote from: A383Wing on September 18, 2016, 11:31:12 AM
I don't see any headlight bucket mounting tabs either around the openings.....

The headlight doors drop down rather than flipping up like the originals.
1969 coronet wagon

remta1

Couple of hours to top mount the grille. Instant regret
A few more hours to recess it ...no regrets :Twocents:

kiwitrev

id step up to a metal repo nose including the "stock" headlight configuration with the high and improving value of the "real" cars the clones can demand more money and a steel nose will pay back later
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

NHCharger

OK. I am in the process of recessing it.
I already knew the answer but had to ask.
To be honest I didn't know anyone was re-popping steel noses, thought they were all fiberglass. I did meet a vendor named Rick at Carlisle who was making the Z-Brackets for $600+ a pair. Can't imagine what a steel nose assembly would cost.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: NHCharger on September 28, 2016, 09:10:55 PM
OK. I am in the process of recessing it.
I already knew the answer but had to ask.
To be honest I didn't know anyone was re-popping steel noses, thought they were all fiberglass. I did meet a vendor named Rick at Carlisle who was making the Z-Brackets for $600+ a pair. Can't imagine what a steel nose assembly would cost.

Gene Gregory gets about $8000 for a steel Daytona nosecone...no interior parts included. His prices can vary widely depending on his mood, barametric pressure, ambient temperature, or possibly the changing phases of the moon. :Twocents:

NHCharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 29, 2016, 06:12:12 AM

His prices can vary widely depending on his mood, barametric pressure, ambient temperature, or possibly the changing phases of the moon. :Twocents:

Jesus. That would be like dealing with my wife. :o
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

WINGMAN

I herd that Gene Gregory retired. :brickwall: (Wingman).
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: WINGMAN on September 29, 2016, 08:40:33 PM
 I herd that Gene Gregory retired. :brickwall: (Wingman).

He sold his shop building, and his e body stuff,  but he told me he was going to keep doing the wingcar parts. :Twocents:

Hemi Runner

Definitely recess it and make it look right. I'm Not a fan of the drop down lights but at least they look stock when closed. Glad I got a steel nose when I did.

Daytona Guy

make some flat glass long pieces, glass them to the underside after you cut out the nose to the size of the grill. Then you will have it. easy.

photo upload sites

Dane

NHCharger

Dane. That is exactly what I am doing  :2thumbs:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

djcarguy

hows the nose coming alone ??   saw the all one color primer pic ,what done to charger latly bottom page 98..

following interest as a friend of john an i was after that nose too.John won nose war so nose ended up 100 miles from me..  all best on build enjoy..DJ out west    :2thumbs: