News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Linkage to Console Alignment

Started by holanae, September 09, 2016, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holanae

When shifting via automatic console linkage, my shift points don't match their gear locations.  Reverse Drive and Neutral are all very near each other between the "N" and the "R".  When dropping in first, I can't get the shift lever to throw all the way down to the "1".  How do I adjust these shift points so that they line up with the gearing letters/numbers on my console?

Dino

Is there a problem with the actual mechanism or do you simply need to line up the markings? I can just put my finger on the black marker strip and slide it up and down.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

Other than a simple adjustment, the problem might be loose/missing plastic bushings in the linkage. Crawl underneath and check for sloppy/missing bushings in all pivot points.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

holanae

Those are there.  I think the shop that installed the motor didn't get the linkage aligned correctly.  Just gotta figure out how to adjust it.

Moparparts

Could be a few different things. Are all the pieces the correct original factory parts for your year and model. If they where replaced you may have some incorrect pieces. Console shifters and linkage are sold many times as fitting 66-70 A, B or C-Body and there are some of the components that don't interchange correctly from one year or model to another. Even the shifter to floor mounting brackets are different and carry different part numbers in some years and for some models in B and C-Body. If you could post some pics of your linkage we should be able to help you try to figure it out

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: holanae on September 10, 2016, 08:43:15 PM
Those are there.  I think the shop that installed the motor didn't get the linkage aligned correctly.  Just gotta figure out how to adjust it.

The adjustment is underneath the car as seen in this diagram....

You'll probably have to adjust the "swivel assembly" on the shift rod a quarter inch one way or the other.

Charger-Bodie

Is it a reproduction shifter assembly ?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

holanae

I bought a complete linkage setup from a member on here.  He said he was converting to manual on his 68, and that this was the automatic linkage he sent me.  See attached photos.  I adjusted the swivel assembly as mentioned above, and got it alot better, but it still isn't perfect.  The slightest movement, makes a huge difference.  Is the linkage correct for my car with a 440?

68 RT

Make sure you are adjusting the linkage with the shift  lever in first gear.

holanae

I noticed that made a difference when I adjusted it last weekend. It's close, but 1st and 2nd are still a little off.