News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

amount of craigslist trollers

Started by cbrestorations, September 14, 2016, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

just for shits and giggles i made a fake craigslist add for a 69 charger as i was curious how hard it is for a person to buy a car from craigslist. of course i made the add to good to be true (played dumb as to what it is just selling relatives estate, it was a real r/t) so i could count the number of car flippers. no joke, in the first 2hrs i got 20 emails and then 6hrs later before i deleted it the count was up to 49. wow...for the average person who doesnt live on craigslist but just wants a charger, they doesnt have a chance against charger hunters. if its a good deal...consider it sold or spoken for in the first 2hrs

cdr

I saw the ad & knew it was not real. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70 sublime

just this last Sunday in our local classifieds (kijiji)
Was listed a 1969 numbers matching 383 Charger
Stored 30 years
needed some work
$15 000 Canadian

The guy listed it 6:00 Sunday morning and by 5:00 Sunday night it was already sold
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cbrestorations

Quote from: cdr on September 14, 2016, 10:34:20 AM
I saw the ad & knew it was not real. 

as i hope you would, was just pointing out how hard it is for the average joe to buy one

crj1968

Yeah when I put my first Charger on CL my phone went nuts from people all over the country.  A lot of low ball sight unseen offers.

5hunert

What were some of the funnier lowballers offers? 

Dino

I've had several people come up my driveway asking to buy my car when they see it sitting in the garage. The pic in my avatar is about a week old just to give you an idea of what it looks like. I keep my garage door closed as much as possible...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

crj1968

Quote from: 5hunert on September 14, 2016, 11:09:20 AM

Nothing really insane- but obviously guys looking for a desperate seller.
Mine was listed at 17K most people were offering around 10K sight unseen, do it now kind of thing.
It sucked weeding through everyone with trades and payment offers etc...

cbrestorations

i sold one awhile back and i had someone try to offer a 91 camaro as trade for a complete but not running 70 charger. i have a 71 gtx for sale right now and i got a $800 cash offer today on it...i told him sure, and gave him a bogus address

charger_fan_4ever

Did you put a price in the fake ad or not even ?

RallyeMike

I don't think it helps to post fake ads which further delusions the handful of honest, hopeful people looking for a Charger  :'(
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hemi-hampton

Quote from: crj1968 on September 14, 2016, 11:18:59 AM
Quote from: 5hunert on September 14, 2016, 11:09:20 AM

Nothing really insane- but obviously guys looking for a desperate seller.
Mine was listed at 17K most people were offering around 10K sight unseen, do it now kind of thing.
It sucked weeding through everyone with trades and payment offers etc...

Yeah, I'm way to familiar with all this, the low ball offers & the runaround when I tried to sell mine. 99% were lowballer's looking for a desperate seller willing to take any offer. Mostly a waste of my time. LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

Is there any lack of cars forsale on craigslist ? on any given day a search of all craigslist there are quite a few chargers for sale.
70 500
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5780635310.html

70 rt
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5747997491.html

69 rt
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5702902852.html

cbrestorations

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 14, 2016, 02:22:05 PM
I don't think it helps to post fake ads which further delusions the handful of honest, hopeful people looking for a Charger  :'(

in a sense yea it wasnt fair to those people, but i only let the add run for 6hrs and started at midnight, so the ones who respond that fast are not ur traditional buyers...but it is funny to hear all the B/S lies and stories from people who i recognize their name in the email. "oh ive always wanted one of these, me and my son are going to rebuild it together" from a person i know has no kids and has a few chargers already he's selling at premium prices. or you get the guys who try and low ball you at at price that is already ridiculously low.

cbrestorations

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 14, 2016, 03:31:09 PM
Is there any lack of cars forsale on craigslist ? on any given day a search of all craigslist there are quite a few chargers for sale.

yea but the car flippers all pounce on that great deal they thing they can double or triple their money on

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: cbrestorations on September 14, 2016, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 14, 2016, 03:31:09 PM

yea but the car flippers all pounce on that great deal they thing they can double or triple their money on

True

I kind of think most flippers are like this with all old cars.

My brothers been trying to sell a original paint 60 caddy coupe de ville and gets hounded with inquiries that offer half, or trade you a boat and $1000 ect. I think most of them prey on old car owners hoping they have a diamond and the seller is in bad need of $$ and they are willing to pay half value.

I have to agree the "father son" line is getting old. Buy what you can afford, dont try to swindle a good car on the cheap with this line.

DixieRestoParts

I got a kick out of this. Have had the same thing happen, low ball offers. I even get it sometimes at cruise-ins. I just laugh and usually say something like, "I'll buy all the Chargers you can find in the same shape as mine for that price!"

Sometimes, I run local ads for Chargers hoping to find some decent parts cars or donor cars for my projects, and get tickled at the guys that throw absolute junk at me for $18K plus. Not yet have any of them been real R/T's.  And what's up with not being able to email pics to a PC? I don't want to see your crappy cell phone pic. Certainly not for anything over $500. Maybe I'm just old and cranky. ;)
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Mike DC

Most sellers and most buyers are going to waste your time.  Weeding through it is just part of the game.  

This is what Ebay is supposed to be for.  Just people bidding on items, not a bunch of "wanna trade for my T-top IROC?"

It is frustrating how stupid some people get though.  

IMO it should be legal to slap the shit out of people who show up offering $3000 for $30,000 car.   

Laowho

We're still getting bogus scams in my email. Not too computer savvy so not sure how they got my email to begin with, but...that's another side of the coin.

Homerr

I recently learned that buyer/flippers are AGGRESSIVE ASSHOLES.   :flame:  pardon my profanity

Over a 2002 Impreza, no less, selling for $2700.  I had these aholes yelling at me on the phone threatening me if I sold it to another one of their ilk instead of them.  Very high stress 1.5 hours from list to sale, just went with first guy to show with cash at my price.  Lesson was list a high price to weed out these vermin and then lower price until a real person is interested.

70 sublime

I posted pictures of my car on kijiji on April 1 this year just as a spoof for April fools day
Put it on a midnight and took it off at noon

Just said old car in the shed etc.....
Must sell
Best offer

Never posted a good picture just close ones so you could not really tell what the car was unless you were a Charger person
Oh yea I made sure one of them you could see the wing  ;)

Of all the trades for boats and dirt bikes only one person asked if it was a Daytona
Cheap fun  :2thumbs:
Not a single person caught or asked about the April Fool part
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi-hampton

"I recently learned that buyer/flippers are AGGRESSIVE ASSHOLES.   flame  pardon my profanity"

That's being nice compared to some of the BS I had to go through. :brickwall: :brickwall:

daveco

If you really want your phone to explode just post a good solid used car for under $2000.
R/Tree

70B5Cuda

9 or 10 years ago I had a 73 Cuda project for sale for $6000 OBO, I had some stupid offers. One guy wanted to trade me a hearse; but hands down, the winner was a guy who wanted to trade me his rare "$5,000 parakeet". I usually have a smart remark ready, but I didn't even know what to say to that one. 
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

taxspeaker

What color was the parakeet? I need an EW1 NOS with the Dana beak option. Will trade a really clean 74 Duster that is in perfect shape except for frame rails, trunk pans and quarters.