News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

limited to 384ci (as per rally racing rules) engine ideas?

Started by Lightning, April 17, 2006, 01:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

well, after further checking the engine limitations for the various rally racing org's, I'm going to be limited to a 384ci displacement.  So a couple Ideas I had were:

1) 318 w/ 4" stroker crank = 384ci w/o overbore (I was also thinking of overboring it anyway and sleeving the block to make it stronger)

2) 340 w/360 crank and slight overbore = 371ci

3) 360 w/ overbore (maybe .060 or so)

I'm wanting a torquey engine more than a horsepower maker.  Anybody have any ideas?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

dodge freak

Well I like the 318 the best but what if you like to over bore it? And putting right at 384 does not give you any give. What happens if you do really good? Others are going to say your engine is to big and the judges might give you a hard time. I would like to stay right about 375-380 no more. Don't go .060 over on the 360, the rings won't seat good and it will make less power than a .030 over bore.

Lightning

well, they have a weird displacement formula.  they take an engine's type, in this case, since it's a pushrod engine they multiply the displacement by .8 .  The limit's 5100cc, and 384 x .8 = 5095, hence, it's legal.

would a stroker crank enhance the 318's torque capabilities?

RallyeMike

You are putting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much thought into this. Drop in a 360 and go racing. Short track stock car and road racing events and championships are NOT won on HP - they are won on the chassis, smart driving, and durability. Concentrate on building a solid motor that will stay together with proven parts and stop worrying about a few cid. You should spend 90% of your time on the chassis and 10% on the motor.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

67_Dodge_Charger

Cubic inches displacement should not be your number one concern.  Look for engine combinations that will give you high torque and good hp.  The key is high torque, it will get you out of trouble and help cover some driving mistakes.  The 318 will give you more torque while the 360 will give you more reliability. 

good luck

-Robert

Lightning

well, I was thinking with the stroker 318 idea, that it would generate EVEN more torque, and with the right pieces, I can make it even more reliable than a 360.

in light of this thread and my "should I sell it?" thread, I think I'm going to sell the LeBaron and go after a A-body, since they're cheaper now than before.  Could a A-body work out well as a Rally Car

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on April 20, 2006, 11:20:14 AM
Cubic inches displacement should not be your number one concern.  Look for engine combinations that will give you high torque and good hp.  The key is high torque, it will get you out of trouble and help cover some driving mistakes.  The 318 will give you more torque while the 360 will give you more reliability. 

good luck

-Robert

Wait, the 318 will give better torque than the 360? Do you mean the 318 if its stroked?