News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is lokar the answer?

Started by Alan73Charger, September 06, 2016, 02:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

I'll beat this topic to death a little more.  I took the stock intake and 2 barrel off and put on the 2176 intake with a 1406 carb.  Things are great but shifting is horrible.  Very low throttle pressure and sloppy shifts, and no downshift when i put my foot in it.  I took it by a shop and the guy messed with it and said with what was there he couldn't get it to adjust right.  I've read you need to extend the kickdown arm somehow and he said the same thing.  Said he could probably fabricate a piece. He screwed with it and honestly made it worse.  I came off the highway and I could only press down on the pedal far enough to get the car to about 40mph.  Lucky I was close to home and able to make it just fine.

Any suggestions?  Have any of you bought the lokar kickdown kit and throttle cable?   I've heard this allows you to really fine tune your kick down and makes the whole linkage issue go away since it's fully adjustable.   Below is the mess mine is in now.  I'll need to at least get it back how it was so I can drive again.

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

crj1968

I hate the cable set-ups but it might work for you.

I can't see your pics. ..but...
Basically you need to make sure your kickdown lever on the trans gets pushed all the way back at full throttle. And yes with putting on a 4BBl that top arm at the carb needs to be longer.

Shouldn't really be that hard to do.  I may have a piece you could use. How long is your top arm? Is it threaded?

cdr

BPE has the best set up the trans cable is a factory type used on later mopars, call them & get the complete linkage set up.

http://bouchillonperformance.com/home
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on September 06, 2016, 03:25:57 PM
I hate the cable set-ups but it might work for you.

I can't see you pics
Basically you need to make sure your kickdown lever on the trans gets pushed all the way back at full throttle. And yes with putting on a 4BBl that top arm at the carb needs to be longer.

Shouldn't really be that hard to do.  I may have a piece you could use. How long is your top arm? Is it threaded?

Here is a direct link.  If I'm measuring the correct piece it was 6.5 inches.

https://s22.postimg.org/m7a3wctcx/IMG_1843.jpg

crj1968

Ah...one of those setups.
It looks ok...when the the pedal is dloores, you can still pish the kickdown linkage back further by hand?

Ok the slotted thing up top...take anut and bolt and put it through the slot as a stop so that rod cannot come so far forward...when pedal is not pushed...know what I mean?  Then you can adjust the "stop" as needed.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on September 06, 2016, 06:02:35 PM
Ah...one of those setups.
It looks ok...when the the pedal is dloores, you can still pish the kickdown linkage back further by hand?

Ok the slotted thing up top...take anut and bolt and put it through the slot as a stop so that rod cannot come so far forward...when pedal is not pushed...know what I mean?  Then you can adjust the "stop" as needed.

Yea.. one of those!  I think that makes sense.  So I had to adjust the linkage so I could push the gas pedal in again, so the first pic is how it is now.  Then the second pic the pedal is to the floor.  As you can see it's all the way forward.  (towards driver)  So I would want to put the bolt in to keep it from coming that far forward?  As for the kickdown linkage when the pedal is pushed down there is still a lot of play and I can push it back easily. 

https://s16.postimg.org/awbrubfqd/IMG_1844.jpg

https://s16.postimg.org/gyjekt46d/IMG_1845.jpg

crj1968

So yeah you want to put a bolt in it so it pushes further back when wide open.

Like so.  (attached) But you have to get it in the right place so it doesn't restrict you from opening carb all the way.

To get close have someone push to wide open, from inside car.  Push the lever back by hand and take up that slack with the stop.

there's some room for play- if it holds gears longer than you like then you can move the stop back toward driver a little. If it shifts mushy (like now) move the stop forward.   :2thumbs:

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on September 06, 2016, 09:31:05 PM
So yeah you want to put a bolt in it so it pushes further back when wide open.

Like so.  (attached) But you have to get it in the right place so it doesn't restrict you from opening carb all the way.

To get close have someone push to wide open, from inside car.  Push the lever back by hand and take up that slack with the stop.

there's some room for play- if it holds gears longer than you like then you can move the stop back toward driver a little. If it shifts mushy (like now) move the stop forward.   :2thumbs:

I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the info!

Alan73Charger

Quote from: cdr on September 06, 2016, 03:50:40 PM
BPE has the best set up the trans cable is a factory type used on later mopars, call them & get the complete linkage set up.

http://bouchillonperformance.com/home

Thanks.  Looks like this might do the trick.  Would I need the accelerator cable mounting bracket also?  (3395)  At $181 if I need the mounting bracket it's exactly what I would spend for a lokar set up in black. LOK-XKD-2904HT kickdown cable, LOK-XSRK-4000 throttle cable bracket, and LOK-XTC-1000HT throttle cable.  I guess the advantage of the BPE option is it keeps the linkage looking close to original?   

If headers will be going on the car soon does the lokar offer some benefits because of how the cable is routed?  I believe the headers may require an adjustment to the shift linkage, though this might only apply to a column shift now that I look at the installation instructions on the headers.

b5blue

Are you keeping factory shift linkage at the trans. or something aftermarket? I use a Winters Sidewinder and linkage setup on the 727 prevented any cable kick down from fitting.  :scratchchin:

Alan73Charger

Quote from: b5blue on September 07, 2016, 05:56:44 AM
  Are you keeping factory shift linkage at the trans. or something aftermarket? I use a Winters Sidewinder and linkage setup on the 727 prevented any cable kick down from fitting.  :scratchchin:

All my linkage is currently factory, thus the problems with it hooking up properly to the new intake and 4 barrel set up.   My trans is the 904.  I should of known it all hooked back up way to easy for it to actually work right.   :brickwall:

b5blue

Had similar issues when I changed my stuff around. Best to find correct factory parts here or on eBay. (Or buy new repo stuff.)

71charger_fan

I used the Lokar setup and am happy with it. Pretty much any sheathed cable, including a shifter/brake cable off of a bicycle, could probably be made to work. Check out this thread on the issue over on Moparts: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2082851/Searchpage/1/Main/177853/Words/lokar/Search/true/torqueflite-kickdown-adjustment.html#Post2082851

rebby

I did a Lokar setup on my General Lee as well and am very happy with how it turned out. I went with the black cable (instead of the stainless). Works as great as it looks!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

71charger_fan

For the record, my photo was taken after installation, but prior to adjustment. That's why the cables are still slack.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Alan73Charger on September 06, 2016, 02:03:22 PM
I'll beat this topic to death a little more.  I took the stock intake and 2 barrel off and put on the 2176 intake with a 1406 carb.  Things are great but shifting is horrible.  Very low throttle pressure and sloppy shifts, and no downshift when i put my foot in it.

When changing from a factory 2-barrel to an aftermarket 4-barrel you need to do two things.

First, install the correct Mopar throttle lever extension, Edelbrock #1481

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1481

Second, you need to extend the slotted top linkage rod to reach the 4-barrel throttle lever which is further forward than the 2-barrel was.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 07, 2016, 09:09:50 AM
I used the Lokar setup and am happy with it. Pretty much any sheathed cable, including a shifter/brake cable off of a bicycle, could probably be made to work. Check out this thread on the issue over on Moparts: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2082851/Searchpage/1/Main/177853/Words/lokar/Search/true/torqueflite-kickdown-adjustment.html#Post2082851

This looks great.  I went ahead and ordered the BPE kickdown kit.  I'll let everyone know how that goes and post some pictures when it's done!

Back N Black

Quote from: Alan73Charger on September 07, 2016, 06:58:32 PM

This looks great.  I went ahead and ordered the BPE kickdown kit.  I'll let everyone know how that goes and post some pictures when it's done!

I have the  BPE kick down and very happy with it.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: Back N Black on September 08, 2016, 01:57:13 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on September 07, 2016, 06:58:32 PM

I have the  BPE kick down and very happy with it.

Also went BPE.   Also very happy with it.