News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Budget 440 build

Started by maciek, September 02, 2016, 11:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maciek

Hi guys. I'm new to mopar. I have a B body charger and wan't to build a decent 440 around 400 hp. And theres my question. I have 75 motor home engine checked and it seems to be ok and set of trw flat top pistons with no valve reliefs that I have laying around for some time. I would appreciate that aomeone would give some proven parts lists to make that combo. I was thinking also to buy a stealth heads with 80cc chambers to do with that. Could someone help? Thnx

BLK 68 R/T

Check out the build threads here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,30.0.html

based on what I know and have read, I don't think you will want to use those pistons.

BSB67

Quote from: maciek on September 02, 2016, 11:03:01 AM
....I have 75 motor home engine checked and it seems to be ok and set of trw flat top pistons with no valve reliefs that I have laying around for some time.

It is not clear what you are intending with this statement.  

1) What does "ok" mean to you?
2) Are the TRW's old, but never used, or used?
3) are the TRW's oversized?
4) Are you boring and honing?
5) What is your budget?

The answers to the above, along with the compression distance of the TRWs will be helpful in making suggestions.  There are two different TRW flat top-no relief pistons.  A 1.99" CD and a 1.91" CD, if I remember correctly.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

68CoronetRT

Just FYI. My "Budget" motor home 440 with Stealth heads and already having the bottom end/Cam cost me about 4,500$

If you get the Stealth's plan on replacing the springs/locks/retainers if your cam is above .500 lift.

Speed Pro -7 valve relief pistons.

Kern Dog

Awww... now you scared the new guy away with facts!

maciek

TRW are never used over 030. The block doesn't have cracks and I'm gone bore it. And the budget will be what it needs to be to get to 400hp I guess.

maciek

maciek

i also have edelbrock 750 carb for the build

Kern Dog

You can get 400 HP with 9.5 compression, stock heads, a slightly bigger cam, Edelbrock RPM intake or a Holley Street Dominator, headers and a 2 11/2" exhaust. The 440 Magnum was essentially a 350 HP net engine from 67-71. The intake and exhaust improvements are enough to get you to 400. The stock iron intake was the same unit whether the 440 was in a Charger or an Imperial! The stock 440 carburetor was 580 cfm! People that claim that the Magnum exhaust manifolds flow as good as headers are confused. Yes, you can make power with them but it makes as much sense as swimming while wearing a tuxedo.

BSB67

It sounds like your are planning the right actions....bore, hone, new pistons, fresh heads.........

But there are certain things that are important to get right, right at the beginning.  Two years from now, if you want a better intake, you buy it and put it on.  You want a better carb, you buy it and put it on.  You want a better exhaust, you buy it and put it on.  You want a different cam, you buy it, and put it in.  You want a different gear, you buy it and put it in.  You want a different torque converter, you buy it and put it in.  You want to raise your compression ratio to where it should be.....you are toast.

The only chance to get the compression ratio right is right now.  If you don't, your build will be short of what it could be, by a lot, until you rebuild it again.

For less than $500 American dollars, you will have a motor bottom end that will respond better to every other performance change you make.  A 2.06" CD piston is a gift that just keeps on giving.  You won't regret it.  You will regret the 1.91 piston.

And yes, you can get to 400 hp with the pistons you have, it will just be harder, and it will be at the expense of drivability.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

If the Pistons are indeed a 1.91" Compression Distance ?, that is the #1 most common mistake people make with 440 engines for any type of performance build right at the outset, and IMO, you will regret using them terribly later, when at this point in planning your build, Piston selection is so critical to future success, and an engine your are ultimately happy with.
That said,
with better pistons and Stealth Heads, 450hp is pretty much childsplay.

* You can use the cast Crank....
* You can use the stock Rods W/ARP Bolts installed.....
* You can even use the stock rockers/shafts.... Oil pan, etc., etc.
Just make sure you DO NOT use 1.91" C.D. Pistons !

My apologies, rant finished
Only wimps wear Bowties !

maciek

I guess guys you're right I'll leave that pistons for some stock build. So could You recommend some good pistons for the money?

heyoldguy

As I read it they are for a 4.15 stroke crankshaft with a Chevy .990" pin diameter and 1.85" CH. Don't think those are going to work without a big budget change.

justcruisin

They will work with your stock rods and crank and leave you about .010" in the hole on a virgin deck. BB mopars are allways out of wack with deck heights, side to side and end for end, it is a good idea to mock it up and have your deck surfaces machined. As said, it is best to get the short block sorted from the get go.

c00nhunterjoe

I ran these with good results using the 84cc edlebrock heads.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/uem-kb236-030

justcruisin

What thickness gasket did you use with those kb236's and the 84cc heads? Do you mean 88cc's.

C500

Quote from: maciek on September 04, 2016, 12:19:57 PM
I guess guys you're right I'll leave that pistons for some stock build. So could You recommend some good pistons for the money?

Probably best pistons on a budget build are the speedpro 2355's. The KB's would also be good choice, as are the JE pistons.

I bought the JE / SRP Flat top, Forged aluminium, Part number 213455.

Have a read here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118292.0.html
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: justcruisin on September 04, 2016, 09:54:55 PM
What thickness gasket did you use with those kb236's and the 84cc heads? Do you mean 88cc's.

Stocl replacement felpro .041, 84cc edlebrock heads.

maciek

What do you think about 74cc heads?

heyoldguy

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 05, 2016, 03:45:52 PM

Did you mill down the .075" dome on the step pistons?

heyoldguy

Quote from: maciek on September 06, 2016, 12:32:26 AM

OKay, I'll say it. They are 10cc smaller than 84cc. But that isn't what you mean. Is it? What do you mean?

BSB67

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 06, 2016, 08:28:40 AM
Quote from: maciek on September 06, 2016, 12:32:26 AM

OKay, I'll say it. They are 10cc smaller than 84cc. But that isn't what you mean. Is it? What do you mean?

Glad you asked.  I was wondering the same, thinking it might become clear when others started posting and responding.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: heyoldguy on September 06, 2016, 08:21:00 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 05, 2016, 03:45:52 PM

Did you mill down the .075" dome on the step pistons?

Pulled the build notes. I miss quoted myself. 88cc open chambers, NOT the 84 cc on that motor. Thanks for the call there. That was some bad information on my end. :rotz: