News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another 383 build

Started by Dreamcar, September 01, 2016, 05:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Something else for me to consider when the time comes.

496 cubes, 480HP, 520tq

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-life-for-mopar-383-big-block/
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

RallyeMike

Cool. Thanks for the link. Since you can still get 440 blocks for next to nothing I'm not sure this is the next big thing, but it's nice to see more support and products for the 383.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Windsor

If I remember right, I think the reason for not going with the 496 was my projected usage, which wasn't racing. I believe some of the good folks here pointed out the issues with the skirts running at the lower rpm ranges of cruising and accelerated wear. Plus the clearance work that would be needed.

Challenger340

There are some very relevant considerations to contemplate prior to selecting which Stroker Kit is right for your intended application ?
Magazine articles as a roadmap for a build can be a trap, because it is typically not "what" they do tell you.... it is typically what they DO NOT !  Articles are primarily just to promote/sell parts ! not act as a tutorial to competency in many areas.

Kits for the low deck(9.98") engines at close to 500", unfortunately, tend to compromise Piston Compression Distance and Rod Angularities in the name of cubic inches, which can manifest themselves as increased Piston Slap or "noise" in operation, and Cylinder Wall loading to reduced longevity....
if, and even when....
a far higher degree of continuity in machining is utilized, and typically, that is far beyond most non-specialized Machine Shops capabilities anymore.
IMO,
Torque Plates and Block Sonic Testing are a must, and even then.... the 1.32" C.D. Pistons using a 2618 Alloy(all 440source/ICON) cam & barrel Piston designs, will mostly likely still be heard in operation.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

6spd68

Like they always say; "Cheap, Reliable, Fast...  You can only pick 2."
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."