News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MaxWedge built

Started by prasi, September 02, 2016, 01:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prasi

Good morning,

I am currently planning a maxwedge engine setup and have chosen parts to my best knowledge. However I have no experience with a streetable Maxwedge setup so I was hoping you could give me a hint in case I awefully misjudged something.

the car:
1963 Savoy
727 auto
3.55 gear
275/60/15 tyres

the idea:
the car shall have 95% street manners and see the track once a year. I love the MW design but do not aim for a high-rpm-strip-application-only. It will rather not see rpm exceeding 5.5k and shall have a high (but rather flat) torque and hp curve from 2k-5k rpm so I plan to base my built onthe A&A MW crossram with standard ports.

the plan:
- a cleaned and bored 440 serves as the base
- A&A crossram standard port topped with 2 no choke, vacuum Holleys 600cfm
- INDY EZ heads standard port
- Comp cams pro magnum shaft rockers 1.5
- dome pistons combined with a mls gasket for 10.5:1 cr with 98octane
- compcams CCA-21-224-4 xtreme energy:
    duration 274/286
    duration @.050 230/236
    lift .488/.491
    lobe lift .325/.327
-  2500 stall converter
- 7qrt oil pan
- ceramic coated MW headers
- lots of small stuff ect

flow wise the indy heads seem to overshoot in relation to the flow the intake can potentially deliver but I got them at a good price and wanted to used them on this project.

I appreciate your time reading till here and for any suggestion/improvement you would think of. In return, if there s an increased interest on "how this sh*t works" at the end I m happy to post real life result here once done.

have a good day
elocho

BSB67

I think what you are planning is solid.

But, if you like to run a littler closer to: "having your cake and eating it too", I would suggest considering a small solid flat tappet cam. I think you will be able to add considerable power without giving up any street manners.  Plus you will get that that classic sound that the MW engines were known for.  And, while I'm spending your money, consider HS 1.6 rockers to go with the SFT cam.  The Pro Magnums are a great, solid product IMO, it is just that the EZs will better utilized with any additional lift.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

What russ said.  :Twocents:
And also, dont count out the cross ram "flow numbers". Remember, a flow bench is not an 8 cylinder engine..... the cross rams always flow less on the bench but perform way better then the flow benchs show they "should"

Another notes- you said you were buying max wedge headers, the indy ez heads you posted will not have max wedge exhaust ports.

prasi

Thank you very much BSB67,

I like your suggestion ad will opt for the HS 1.6 rockers. The xtreme energy grinds look a bit more competitive than similar magnum grinds to me, I would consider those 2:

solid lifter XS268S
rpm: 1800 to 5800
duration: 268/274
duration .050: 230/236
valve lift : .488 .501

or

solid lifter XS274S
rpm: 2200 to 5200
duration: 274/280
duration .050: 236/242
valve lift : .502 .511

where (as far as I can judge) that the smaller one looks more streetable. What do you think?

thanks

prasi

thanks c00nhunterjoe,

I m happy to hear your thoughts on the MW crossram flow. Somewhere in the back of my head I have this:   head-flow#=intake-flow*1.3   stored, so that would improve the intake bottleneck.

And, yes I m aware exhaust ports and intake size of the header doesn't fit. However I m happy to live with it for the good looks ;)   pls forgive my aesthetic stubbornness

BSB67

Quote from: prasi on September 02, 2016, 06:28:08 AM
Thank you very much BSB67,

I like your suggestion ad will opt for the HS 1.6 rockers. The xtreme energy grinds look a bit more competitive than similar magnum grinds to me, I would consider those 2:

solid lifter XS268S
rpm: 1800 to 5800
duration: 268/274
duration .050: 230/236
valve lift : .488 .501

or

solid lifter XS274S
rpm: 2200 to 5200
duration: 274/280
duration .050: 236/242
valve lift : .502 .511

where (as far as I can judge) that the smaller one looks more streetable. What do you think?

thanks

Hmmmm.  Where to start.

Let me start with this:  I would recommend contacting a professional.  I have a guy that I use occasionally that I could recommend.  The reason for this would be two fold 1) There are a lot more options available than what is in their catalog (If you look around, you can find Comp's Lobe Master catalog on line) and 2) a custom ground cam is not much more $ than a shelf cam.

IMO, both solid cams that you listed are too small.  You cannot compare hyrdaulic cam advertised and 0.050" numbers directly with those for a solid cam.  My general rule of thumb is to add about 10° to the 0.050" duration number for a solid cam when moving from a hydraulic cam.  So in the case of the XS lobes that would be the 282/290.  Probably installed on a 112° CL to soften the idle characteristics.

To clean up the idle even more you can go with a XTQ or TL lobe that run a looser lash resulting in shorter seat timing.  Maybe something like a XTQ lobe with advertised/0.050" numbers like 274°/244°.

But this is just one man's opinion.  This is why you should contact a trusted professional.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

For a shelf grind, i am also a fan of the xs282 from comp. Custom, i like isky alot as well as racer brown. Jimmy has treated me right over the years. Love racer brown cams.

prasi

Thank you both for the comments. Unfortunately I don't have a cam expert around that's why I rely partially on your opinion. The xs282 grind looks impressive but seems to fit apart from the required 3000stall. I ll go back to the drawing board.
Thanks again for your input

BSB67

Quote from: prasi on September 03, 2016, 05:24:08 AM
Thank you both for the comments. Unfortunately I don't have a cam expert around that's why I rely partially on your opinion. The xs282 grind looks impressive but seems to fit apart from the required 3000stall. I ll go back to the drawing board.
Thanks again for your input

Access to trusted help over here might only be a phone call away. 

The catalog is generalized info.  You should not live and die buy it.  Comp Cams has no idea if you have a 361, a 440, or a 512.  Yet the catalog says 3000 rpm stall.  Trust me, the converter needed in a 361 is way different than a 440, and is different than a 512.  My cam is considerably bigger than the 282/290.  It has a very mild idle, and a factory converter that stalls to 1900 rpm. 

If ground on a 112° and working with the lash, it will be fine with your converter.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

in general...
I am not a fan of using relatively small camshafts with larger Head/Bowl capacities for your targeted high torque low-rpm build,
so IMO,
I would consider the XS282S Cam as a about the smallest candidate for best results on the INDY EZ Head(even with the stock port window) and especially with the crossram setup ?

The larger bowl volume above the valve is retained on the EZ Head, so unfortunately small/low lift Cams tend to puddle up the A/F charge.

Overall, IMO, wrong Head for the application sub 5500 rpm on a 440 inch targeting max flat trq curve., but that's just me.... carry on
Only wimps wear Bowties !

prasi

thanks Challenger340,

point taken. the heads would not be on a "to buy"-list, but since I have them lying around I ll use them for this built. I hope I can mitigate the weakness by using 1.6 rockers with the XS282S.

thanks all for your help