News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans shifts very late on high RPM

Started by CloedFL, August 29, 2016, 04:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloedFL

Dear charger-fans,

Looking now for a longer time for my dream car and next project, i crossed by a 1970 charger with a 383 and auto and found it working not properly.

The trany didn't bring the full power of the engine on the ground and shifted very late (couldn't check the velocity, was not working) but comparing with the 2 others i checked it was late and weak.
The car was standing for ~6 months and the trans was leaking a little bit, so we can assume that the oil level is not correct.

Will go an have a second look on the charger and fill it up and look if it still behave the same. If the problem still occurs, where could it come from?

Investing in a complete trans overhaul would be the overkill for the price ... thats why i am asking.

Hope you can help me out a little bit.

BR

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

The transmission shift speed and firmness is controlled by the mechanical linkage that connects the carburetor lever to the upper lever on the transmission, this is often called "kickdown linkage" and must be intact and properly adjusted.

Of course, if the fluid level is very low, the trans can't be expected to operate correctly so first be sure the level is correct by checking it when fully warmed up in Neutral not Park. Is the carburetor stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, the correct throttle lever extension must be installed in order for the linkage to work properly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.