News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K&K Insurance Daytona Charger Race Car

Started by Rajasthan77, August 27, 2016, 02:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Here's a NASCAR '69 Daytona lowering job.  Compare the same reference points on the bodywork (blue) to the wheels:

This job is way beyond torsion bar adjustments, trimmed bumpstops, drop spindles, etc.  And the suspension work is not the whole story.  Even after the body is sitting this low, it puts the subframe rails too close to whacking the pavement underneath.  

The drivetrain (and trans tunnel) has to be raised up a few inches.  The subframe rails need to be trimmed down & plated up.  The inner fenderwells have to go.  The middle of the fender above the front wheel has to be mostly hand-rebuilt.  Etc.  The unibody needs structure added above the floors to recover the strength/stiffness that was lost by trimming down the subframes below the floorpans. Etc.  

Rajasthan77

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 28, 2016, 11:47:07 PM

Here's a NASCAR '69 Daytona lowering job.  Compare the same reference points on the bodywork (blue) to the wheels:

This job is way beyond torsion bar adjustments, trimmed bumpstops, drop spindles, etc.  And the suspension work is not the whole story.  Even after the body is sitting this low, it puts the subframe rails too close to whacking the pavement underneath.  

The drivetrain (and trans tunnel) has to be raised up a few inches.  The subframe rails need to be trimmed down & plated up.  The inner fenderwells have to go.  The middle of the fender above the front wheel has to be mostly hand-rebuilt.  Etc.  The unibody needs structure added above the floors to recover the strength/stiffness that was lost by trimming down the subframes below the floorpans. Etc.  

Hi there, thank you so much for the information! I actually read through a thread you had a few years ago with IndyGenerallee and it was such great information that I've saved it. I've also emailed the museum to see if they would take some in-depth photos for me for a fee. I know it maybe a fat chance, but thought why not try, as it might alleviate some guessing work.  I will keep everyone posted!

djcarguy

Mike DC

QuoteHi there, thank you so much for the information! I actually read through a thread you had a few years ago with IndyGenerallee and it was such great information that I've saved it. I've also emailed the museum to see if they would take some in-depth photos for me for a fee. I know it maybe a fat chance, but thought why not try, as it might alleviate some guessing work.  I will keep everyone posted!

Best of luck with the project. 

It would be fun to see somebody's NASCAR-replica Daytona pan out.  Indy's, your's, or anyone else's.  In recent years the idea seems to be gaining popularity.     

Highbanked Hauler

Talk with the guy who has the replica red no.61 Superbird   ( was at Talladega and Welborns museum )  I am almost sure it has a  stock car front clip and suspension in it with a Franklin quick change rear. The roll cage is not vintage but it could be done differently in your car. Its worth a look if you are considering a build.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser