News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve covers and HP manifolds

Started by Dino, August 17, 2016, 12:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Is anyone running the black wrinkle MP valve covers with HP manifolds on a 440? I want to make sure that combo works before I buy the covers.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BLK 68 R/T

I have them on mine. No issues with fitment. Stealth heads though if it makes any difference.

Stegs

i have them
906 heads
factory manifolds

did have to shave a little off the back of one, but just a touch so it would sit tight

otherwise no issues

and they look great! :2thumbs:

Dino

I'm not sure Stealth heads would make a difference. I wonder...

Stegs did you shave off the round casting marks on the manifolds? I think those might interfere.

If I can make them fit easily though then I'll go ahead and order a set. Do you need special hardware for those covers?

Oh and did you guys run gaskets on the hp manifolds? I thought about getting a set with built in heat shields but they may be in the way of the valve covers as well.

b5blue

Dino I used HP exhaust manifolds with Cal-Custom valve covers on my Sidewinder heads. A: Stock cover bolts are a bit too short. B: Heat shield gaskets are a no go, between the manifold/head/valve cover they just end up touching everywhere even with multiple bends. (They come flat and are tricky to bend being layers of material.) I used standard gaskets for exhaust manifolds but will upgrade to something better when I get to replacing entire system.     

C500

I had them on my 906 heads with factory manifolds. Were on there when I got the car.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Dino on August 18, 2016, 09:32:48 AM
I'm not sure Stealth heads would make a difference. I wonder...

Stegs did you shave off the round casting marks on the manifolds? I think those might interfere.

If I can make them fit easily though then I'll go ahead and order a set. Do you need special hardware for those covers? I had no original hardware to begin with, so I just used some stainless bolts, I had to start all of them at once an kind of tighten them a little at a time because if I remember right the holes are not straight in the heads, they have an angle to them.

Oh and did you guys run gaskets on the hp manifolds? I thought about getting a set with built in heat shields but they may be in the way of the valve covers as well.
I used the gaskets from one of those generic engine gasket kits and it did not create any fitment issues.

Dino

Thanks guys! Valve covers arrived today, will be fitting them tomorrow so I'll let you know how it went. Now I have to figure out where the pcv valve goes. And I'm assuming I need a breather on the opposite side?

BLK 68 R/T

I bought 2 twist in style breathers for mine. You can drill a hole in the valve cover as well so you can run a PCV valve, but you will need to order another set of the internal baffles to mount on the inside of the valve covers. I just went with the 2 twist in breathers and did not install a PCV valve.

Breathers - http://www.manciniracing.com/mopbotven2.html
Baffles if needed - http://www.manciniracing.com/mopbrbbafand.html

Dino

Thanks BLK   :cheers:

I'll get one of those breathers. I thought you could buy the twist on type of pcv valves as well? If not then I'll have to deide which route to go.

I just set the valve covers in place. Plenty room with the hp manifold on the driver side, but I had to loosen the passenger side manifold to get the valve cover on. Once the manifold was tightened everything was fine, doesn't hit the cover anywhere. It's just harder to put that cover on with the manifold installed when you have a/c lines running in the way. I just couldn't get the cover in nicely BUT I do still have the stock cover studs in the heads and have bolts on the way so maybe without the studs it will fit a little easier.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a little cooler so that'll be a good time to paint the manifolds.   :2thumbs:

I don't know if I should use gaskets between the heads and manifolds. I think it'll be alright without. Not sure yet.

Dino

Manifolds are painted and I have all the hardware to bolt everything in place. I won't have my new spark plugs until Friday so I may just wait to install those first.

I'll be using the Moroso Perm-Align gaskets with the MP covers. What' the best way to install these? Dry or with RTV? I'm assuming dry. What about the cast covers? I don't want to crack them so how tight and what tightening sequence is needed to do this right?

XH29N0G

I bought some grommets that were made to fit in the oil hole and adapted to the diameter of the PCV valve or push in breather.  I think they may have been a mopar performance part, but I bet some measuring and searching would bring them up for you online.  I also bought a twist in breather for the other side.  Right now I run a twist in chrome breather on the driver's side (need to take off to fill the engine with oil) and one of these grommets with a PCV.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....