News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Update from 1970 Charger

Started by tommyhr, August 09, 2016, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyhr

Thank you to everyone who helped me with my car, it turns out that the car is a 70 charger with different panels on it. There are uncut locations in the panels for the typical 70 charger turn signs. Still not sure about the interior and SE, but I am making progress, the link I attached has the pictures from my previous post, but I added pictures of the engine!! Check it out!! Also could someone please tell me what to look for in the trunk for reverse lights mounting locations? I found some holes, is that it?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TrznykNWlEZzsdQ62A6V6uYy_up087eqHftBPgzB6OQ/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks,
Tom

hemi-hampton

SO, Your saying the factory installed 68 front clip & rear quarters on your 70 :scratchchin: :shruggy: never heard of that :shruggy: Lets see a pic of the fender tag? LEON.

UPDATE: Now that you changed your comment mine don't make sense :shruggy:

tommyhr

I did not check myself, but a trusted family member told me that all the veins matched. It is possible that I miss heard him. Is it unlikely or impossible for this to happen?  It being original is not very important only that I will be able to install backup lights. Thanks for your input

BLK 68 R/T

I think you might have misheard or he is incorrect. It would not have came from the factory like that.

tommyhr

I changed my statement, I love the way it looks and I guess it's a Frankenstein of a car. Do you think this will present any issues for back up lights, how do I know if there are locations for them to be installed?

70 sublime

Is the key in the dash or on the steering column ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

6spd68

I'm guessing it's an older resto/front end collision, and they didn't have a 70 front clip available.  Looks decent though  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

tommyhr

The key is in the steering column

crj1968

I wouldnt sweat the backup lights so much.  Look at 70 charger rear end pics on google and you'll see where they would go.

What do you mean by uncut locations in the panels for turn signals?  You have your front turn signals in the valance and rears are part of taillight assembly.

Car may be a Frankenstein but looks good.    :2thumbs:

Homerr

Not all those interior parts are for a 68-70 Charger.

I would not trust this car as a daily driver.  But it could be a fun project to tinker on.

70 sublime

70 was the first year the key was in the steering column
Sounds like your car is a 70 with a bunch of 68 parts added to the front end

Looks good
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

crj1968

Quote from: Homerr on August 09, 2016, 02:01:28 PM

I would not trust this car as a daily driver. 

Why do say that?   :shruggy:

tommyhr

Crj I may be calling it the wrong thing, it is the round light on each panel of the car, but there are locations that could be cut to install the regular 70 rectangular ones. Also the motor in it is brand new with only 4 miles on it. As well as the Trans and all pipes through to the back

tommyhr

I will add a picture of what I am talking about

crj1968

Oh marker lights.  

There are locations to cut for a 70 style that are uncut? I wonder where those panels came from. Or did someone mark the locations themselves?

cbrestorations

its a little confusing when you edit the initial comment to update the thread. it makes all the comments under that not make sense. just update ur thread with a new comment

tommyhr

Will do, sorry I am new to this whole thing. Also I added the pictures of the rectangular cuttings. They appear to b original from factory and not man made

crj1968

I think what you have there is someone welded up the 70 markers and added the 68 round ones to make it all match.

So you've a 70 with a 68 front end. Makes sense

crj1968

Not a bad thing really...as you can actually buy 68 fenders if ever needed from AMD.    But not for a 70   :brickwall:

invincibleextremes

Wow, my wife would love that car.  A 68 front end with 69 or 70 taillights is her favorite charger setup...

Kern Dog

How much would the seller bump the price if he tossed in a new air filter ??

6spd68

Quote from: invincibleextremes on August 09, 2016, 02:50:54 PM
Wow, my wife would love that car.  A 68 front end with 69 or 70 taillights is her favorite charger setup...

You could technically just swap a 68 grille into your 69  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

tommyhr

What is wrong with the current air filter?

dual fours

Quote from: crj1968 on August 09, 2016, 02:38:55 PM
I think what you have there is someone welded up the 70 markers and added the 68 round ones to make it all match.

So you've a 70 with a 68 front end. Makes sense

70 side marker lights are recessed somewhat, I wonder if there's body filler on the outside where the 70 rear marker lights would be.
Need to look at that trunk photo a little closer.
Yes, photo #17 left rear inside trunk, you can see the welds joints on the fill-in piece and the quarter panel.
I can't tell if the rear quarter panel side marker recess is flatten or still recessed then welded closed.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

dual fours

Quote from: tommyhr on August 09, 2016, 03:50:22 PM
What is wrong with the current air filter?

Paper element looks crushed down, I can not see marks on your hood or on the top lid.
Can't see a fender tag either.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG