News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger Help!!

Started by tommyhr, August 08, 2016, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyhr

I know that this car is a 1970 dodge charger SE, but am not sure which model. I am thinking that it is a 500 SE, but not sure. Hoping that you guys can help me out. Also, there is a seatbelt on the roof possibly for 3 point seat belt? I have been doing a lot of research into 68-70 chargers and this car seems like it is mixed. The turn signals, emblems, and door handles seem to be out of place for this car? I am new to the classic car world and could be very wrong. Any help is good. For some reason wont let me post my photos... Keeps saying the attachment is too big even if it is only one. Any ideas? I made this link as an alternative to view the pictures I took. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TrznykNWlEZzsdQ62A6V6uYy_up087eqHftBPgzB6OQ/edit?usp=sharing
I already looked up the serial number, first 7 numbers are XP29N0G-- Charger, Premium, 2 Dr. Sports Hardtop, 8-383, 1970, St. Louis Missouri.

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

charge69

Pictures would help but try to post the first 7 letters/numbers in the serial number.

Mopar Nut

:wave: Welcome aboard!

Let's see some pictures!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tommyhr

I added a link in my original post (Sorry for the inconvenience) to some pictures I took. It wouldn't let me post any pictures not sure why. I also added the first 7 serial numbers.

M5Ivan

Looks like '69 tail lights, '68 or '69 front end (can't see the center section of the front grill) and '68 front side lights.

Cool color!

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tommyhr

Since the 70 R/T doors are different and Since only R/T's and 500's were available in SE it has to be a 500? Are there any defining charachteristics? Also the door handles seem different then the 70 R/T and the 70 500, could the doors have been switched or handles?

cbrestorations

there wont be a charger emblem and SE emblem together, its one or the other. so one has been added. if it was a 500 model it would also have the trim panel around the tail lights. those door handles look like they came off an old pickup truck or something. plus you have a 68 front clip on the car.

crj1968

The rectangle rear marker lights on a 70 are larger than the ones on a 69....
What do the rear markers look like?

Like stated the tail lights look like 69's(70's have an obvious rectangle reflector in the bottom center)  but those could have been changed

Door handles are like for a 73 or up I think.  

It's a bit of a mix up car. Likely a 70 that got put back together with whatever could be bolted on

crj1968

Actually no reverse lights like a 68 too

Are the rear markers round like the fronts?

Lennard

No back up lights like a '69 or '70.

Edit: I obviously type to slow.

tommyhr

The rear markers are round like the front
Since there is a SE emblem next to the Charger emblem could it not be a SE, the other side of the vinyl roof only has the Charger emblem, could it be a base model. However the interior has a wood grain trim like the SE should.

Homerr

Looks like a mish-mash of a car.

68 front fenders
custom door handles
non-stock driver door mirrors
should not have SE badges, Charger 500 replaced SE for 1970.
no reverse lights
69 tail lights

So, this thing should be verified that it is a 1970 and not just had the dash replaced with one with a 1970 VIN.  Look for the last part of the VIN stamped on top of the radiator core support and also under the rubber decklid seal on the driver's side.  Those two body numbers should match the VIN.

Kern Dog

Quote from: tommyhr on August 08, 2016, 02:19:39 PM
Since the 70 R/T doors are different and Since only R/T's and 500's were available in SE it has to be a 500? Are there any defining charachteristics? Also the door handles seem different then the 70 R/T and the 70 500, could the doors have been switched or handles?

The 1970 model used the same door no matter the model. The R/T had holes to mount the door scoops but was otherwise the same.
The SE came with leather upholstery and woodgrain trim on the dash and door panels. The 500 came with bucket seats, center console, a clock in the dash, AM radio, the aluminum trim around the taillights too.
That car looks to have several 1968 style stuff on it. The rear valence in 68 was smooth. The 69 and 70 had holes for the backup lights. The door handles on that car are not stock but look nice. The mirrors are stock for 1970 Charger and B body built after January/February 1970.

tommyhr

I am going to check the VIN but just added some pictures of the interior that I took out, maybe could help? Also the seats that I took out had headrests... pretty sure thats not a 1970 dodge charger thing

Lennard

Quote from: tommyhr on August 08, 2016, 03:15:35 PM
I am going to check the VIN but just added some pictures of the interior that I took out, maybe could help? Also the seats that I took out had headrests... pretty sure thats not a 1970 dodge charger thing
Wrong seats, door panels and center console.  They are from after '70.

dual fours

Do you have a Fender Tag (top of left fender well in engine bay back from the battery)?
Yes the SE badge does not belong where it is.
Front valance lights (park lights) are clear lens (68-69) and not amber lens (1970).
Looks like 68-69-70+ parts used.
I'll bet it's not an SE. As KD says, pulse 70 SE's had chrome trim on the outer edge of the foot pedals.
Door panel (wood grain with map pocket) is correct for a 70 SE.
I see you have two power switch's on the wrong console (power windows?).
68' has the Charger scrip on the grill and other badge on the headlight door, as you have.
69' has both the Charger scrip and other badge on the headlight door.
70' has the Charger scrip on the grill and the other badge on the headlight door. 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

68pplcharger

Definitely a combination of years on this car. The Entire front Dog house is definitely a 68 charger. Fenders, grille, and Possibly hood. Could be a 69 hood, but I doubt it since all the rest are from a 68.

crj1968

That console...um e body or later B body?

those are 70 door panels....
Seems to me the car is a 70 VIN riding on a 68 shell.  With 69 tail lights and ....    :shruggy:

JR

I'm gonna guess someone in the past had a handful of parts cars lying around, and built this one out of the stuff they had lying around.

Can you get some numbers from the shell anywhere else?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

tommyhr

I am going to look for some more numbers on the shell and will update if I find any, I found one on the radiator mounting bracket, but only some numbers were visible (rest were faded) 4 of the numbers matched up with the VIN howver

crj1968

Quote from: tommyhr on August 08, 2016, 03:45:38 PM
I am going to look for some more numbers on the shell and will update if I find any, I found one on the radiator mounting bracket, but only some numbers were visible (rest were faded) 4 of the numbers matched up with the VIN howver

Well I'd call that a match then.  Maybe  a 70 that got rusted / wrecked and then repaired with parts.

Are you looking to buy it?  I'd say go for it if price is right and it has clear titlet.  (Edit: clear title, not titlet lol  )  A lot of cars got wrecked and fixed like this.
May not be ideal, but it's still a sought after piece of metal....and you could go any direction you want with it.   :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Those front seats look like they are from a C body...Newport, Monaco, Fury, etc.

bigdsul

Post a picture of the fender tag. The fender tag will contain all the build information about the car.

BIGBLCK11

Early run 70's had 69 tail lights.  Not being an XH, it should have holes or filled holes for a finish panel. Unless, it could be ordered without?  Or the tail panel was replaced. 

JR

Oh, and the position of the inside door locks indicate those are definitely 69-70 model doors.

The outside door handles are custom. From something else. Those doors maybe original to the shell.

If the radiator numbers match the vin, I'd bet money that's the 70 valence with the reverse lamp holes filled and shaved. Should be easy to feel/look behind it and see.

Does this car run and drive? It should be priced on the cheaper end of the spectrum if you're considering buying it.

Oh, and I'm fairly sure all 70s have the weld nut in the roof for the three point belts.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

70 sublime

Looks like a 73 Charger console and 73 door handles

In the car is the key in the steering column or the dash ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

GreenMachine

:iagree:

It looks like 71-74 B-body console, door handles, and side mirrors. The back seat is a '70 based on the pattern (at least the backrest portion is), and the door panel is a '70SE. Front seat looks 1966-67 A or B body.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

VegasCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 08, 2016, 07:06:31 PM
Looks like a 73 Charger console and 73 door handles

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 09, 2016, 03:43:15 AM
:iagree:

It looks like 71-74 B-body console, door handles, and side mirrors. The back seat is a '70 based on the pattern (at least the backrest portion is), and the door panel is a '70SE. Front seat looks 1966-67 A or B body.

Just to confirm things these are 1971-74 B Body door handles.  :2thumbs:

Not custom, not looks like but definitely are.  :cheers: :cheers:

dual fours

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG