News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I buy a ford mustang?

Started by Bobs69, August 07, 2016, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

I had an accident and wrote of my car.  I'm very seriously thinking about buying a 2005 Mustang GT, very low kilometers on it.  It would be my daily driver.  Any opinions or advice?  Should someone be allowed to enjoy such a car everyday?  Will the gas consumption bring me to my knees?

Help me out guys.

1970Moparmann

My daily drivers have mostly been Fords.   Used to drive Crown Vic cop cars, but decided to get something fun.   Was looking at 2005 - 2008 Mustang GTs, but wound up getting a newer V6 6 Speed with the 3.7 engine.   I REALLY like the car for what it is.   It will get close to 30 on the highway.   I picked up a Bama Tuner and it really woke it up.   Fun car.....  Because it isn't a GT, it is on the cheaper side also...

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Troy

My "daily driver" is a 2015 Charger Scat Pack - but today I drove my 70 Mach 1. I definitely think a person should drive cars they enjoy!

Gas depends on what you are used to. If you had a Prius and drove 50 mph everywhere then you'll hate the Mustang - but you won't look like a giant doofus either! It also depends on how you drive. I have a hard time NOT punching it from random stoplights and I drive fairly fast on the highway so I never reach the claimed mileage on any of my cars. Gas is cheap right now so I'm not all that interested in babying my cars just to get another 1-2 mpg.

Sounds as if you're in Canada? Do you get a lot of snow? Mustangs are fairly crappy winter drivers - although a friend of mine moved to Chicago with his 2010 and hasn't managed to wrap it around a pole. He did put on some winter tires. Modern traction control systems work fairly well (within reason).

I have a soft spot for that generation of Mustang. Maybe I'll own one some day. But, more than likely, I'll end up with one of the newer 5.0s instead.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

FJMG

Was just at a car show yesterday, those are mustangs are nice! I drive an 06 srt8 and if you have any snow you will need proper tires!

Bobs69

There will be snow.

I'm just tired of waiting the perfect time to come to get one.  That time never comes.

Challengers are a lot more money.  And yes I'm in Canada.

John_Kunkel

Had an '06 Mustang GT until I bought my '09 Challenger SRT8, loved the 'Stang. Unbelievable power from 281 cubic inches.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

4cruzin

I inherited this new in the box from my Ford loving Father and am willing to sell for $260.00.  It appears that it fits Ford Mustangs GT-500 2010-14  . . . let me know if anyone is interested.  Looks like it prices out around $300 - 330  . . . this is new in the box, never been opened.   Make offer!
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Bobs69

I've been talking about going back to a rear wheel drive and manual transmission for a couple years now.

RallyeMike

One of my pals had an 07 GT, and I was very impressed. They also have a decent maintenance record. You just need to be the kind of guy with a lifestyle that means very little back seat occupancy.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Bobs69

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 08, 2016, 02:49:53 PM
One of my pals had an 07 GT, and I was very impressed. They also have a decent maintenance record. You just need to be the kind of guy with a lifestyle that means very little back seat occupancy.

I don't need the back seat.

John_Kunkel

The only maintenance problem that is common to the Mustang is the spark plugs. Not to worry unless the car has a lot of miles.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_broken_spark_plug_problem.htm
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bobs69

I drove the car tonight it's not an unruly group is quite tame I like it. I'm going to make my final decision tomorrow after I tried really hard to find something wrong with it.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Bobs69

Well, I bought it.  2005 with 45 000km.  V8 5 speed.  Real nice.

I'll post pictures once I get my password reset on photo-bucket.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 08, 2016, 01:44:35 PM
Had an '06 Mustang GT until I bought my '09 Challenger SRT8, loved the 'Stang. Unbelievable power from 281 cubic inches.
I've gotta agree with that! My daughter had an '08 GT until last year. It had an automatic, but was still freakin' fast when you mashed the pedal! :icon_smile_cool:
Here is is with less than 100 miles on it, back in '08...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

charger_fan_4ever

rwd and daily winter driving eiik. unless a 2wd pick up with weight in the back forget it.

Had a trans am that i got out in the spring years ago. 6 inchs of snow came out of nowhere. WOW what a ride thought was going around a pole 100 times in that 30 min drive at like 20 mph.

Troy

I drove my first Challenger and Charger every day all the way through high school in Ohio. The Charger didn't even have heat! Cars today are so safe it's actually scary. I could drive my 2006 Tahoe at about 80 mph in a blizzard and never feel out of control. The Scat Pack lets me do all sorts of stupid stuff that would kill me in an old car. Traction control is no joke! Except my tires don't like heavy water. If I switched to something with any amount of tread it would be better. My boss lives in Chicago and drives a Chevy SS all year round. He did have to put snow tires on it.

Troy

Bobs69

So, someone explain to me what the difference between a rear wheel drive truck and a rear wheel drive car are?  Other then clearance?

My first car was rear wheel drive and a 5 speed, and I drove it all year round for 10 years.  It could be a pita but it wasn't life threatening.

LaOtto70Charger

Don't know. Personally rear only drive trucks are really bad in the snow without weight in the back.  Even worse is a 2x4 duallie.  Those suck!  Rwd cars are not anywhere near as bD since the weight is more distributed. Well my experience anyways driving my Charger in WI in the 90s, and my wife's stupid 91 ford duallie in 2008 to 2012 in IN.

Troy

Quote from: Bobs69 on August 15, 2016, 07:09:25 PM
So, someone explain to me what the difference between a rear wheel drive truck and a rear wheel drive car are?  Other then clearance?

My first car was rear wheel drive and a 5 speed, and I drove it all year round for 10 years.  It could be a pita but it wasn't life threatening.
Weight distribution. A car may be 52-60% front heavy but there's really not much behind the cab of a truck (exception being some of the new giant cab short bed models).

Troy

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Bobs69 on August 15, 2016, 07:09:25 PM

i have a 2002 quad cab short bed 4x4 dodge and my brother an 04 gmc 1500 2wd. Leaving my dodge in 2wd cant even make it up the driveway. Mind you its cummins powered so with that heavy engine and front diff its nose heavy.

I think a 4x4 just has more weight from the cab up to the nose. Front diff,t case drive shafts so they are nose heavy.

Bobs69

So basically what I'm hearing from the last few posts is that trucks are worse in the snow then rear wheel drive cars?  Excluding the 4X4 function.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Bobs69 on August 16, 2016, 08:21:48 PM
So basically what I'm hearing from the last few posts is that trucks are worse in the snow then rear wheel drive cars?  Excluding the 4X4 function.

Id say a 2wd pickup with some weight in the back is better in the winter than a rwd high hp car. :Twocents:

Troy

Quote from: Bobs69 on August 16, 2016, 08:21:48 PM
The difference is you can throw several hundred pounds of sand bags or other heavy stuff in a truck (including water/ice) to even out the weight and gain some traction. That's more difficult in a car. Plus you'll have decent ground clearance and tires that are probably slightly better in snow.

Troy