News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine oil cooler ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 24, 2016, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Anybody running one ? Any problem with the filter mount ? Where did you mount the cooler ?  It has been so hot just thinking of a way to help cool the motor that isn't in the air flow to the radiator.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

chargd72

If you have a good radiator, fan and shroud you won't have to worry about putting extra coolers in its path.  Plus, get your filter away from your exhaust.  Your motor will be thankful.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Highbanked Hauler

I have an aluminum radiator with no shroud, thats the problem. Will probably put it in front of the rad with a large pusher fan.  I was thinking if trying to  make up a bracket and mount it under the fender. In 96 degree heat the radiator does cool it but stop at a light and the temp. will spike.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ws23rt

Adding an oil cooler is essentially an -addition- to what the radiator is doing.  

If the radiator is working well and the engine temp. is where it should be then the oil temp. will be where it needs to be.  An added oil cooler would -IMO- be of little to no benifit.

If one puts an oil cooler in front of the radiator it will block some air flow to the radiator but add back some cooling to the oil.  That heat transfer all goes to the same place.--the engine--.

One could conceivably have an "oil" cooled engine but water/coolent seems to work out better for heat transfer.

A remote oil filter mount is a great idea from a convenience stand point for filter changes. :Twocents:

BTW transmission oil coolers are are another story.  They cool what the engine coolent cannot.

I would like to hear more about this from others to help with any flaws in my thinking. :shruggy:

chargd72

Every performance car out there has anywhere from 5-10 coolers or heat exchangers. Power creates heat, heat decreases efficiency. As for the oil, it breaks down and loses is lubticating properties with heat. The cooler it is the better it does its very important job.  I don't think anyone is trying to significantly drop engine temp by using an oil cooler. I'm already running two coolers in front of my radiator and will soon be adding a third.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

PlainfieldCharger

If you do install the oil cooler can you get before and after measurements? I am curious how much it will drop :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: chargd72 on July 27, 2016, 12:55:04 AM
Every performance car out there has anywhere from 5-10 coolers or heat exchangers. Power creates heat, heat decreases efficiency. As for the oil, it breaks down and loses is lubticating properties with heat. The cooler it is the better it does its very important job.  I don't think anyone is trying to significantly drop engine temp by using an oil cooler. I'm already running two coolers in front of my radiator and will soon be adding a third.

It is true what you say about heat and how it is our enemy if it gets out of control. :2thumbs:

In this case the op stated that he is --indeed-- trying to "help cool the motor".

The original post is looking for a way "to help cool the motor" by adding the cooling effect that can be had from an oil cooler.

My thoughts and questions still are about the most efficient way to do this. :scratchchin:

Conceivably one could have a completly oil cooled engine with the proper system (pumps, heat exchangers,etc) to extract the heat from an engine.

In this case one could scratch their head and wonder about adding a water cooling system to help extract heat from the oil in an additional way because of the better heat transfer qualities water has as a coolent.:shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: chargd72 on July 26, 2016, 08:52:00 AM
If you have a good radiator, fan and shroud you won't have to worry about putting extra coolers in its path.  Plus, get your filter away from your exhaust.  Your motor will be thankful.

Just to follow this a bit further--(still scratching my head).   If one has a "good radiator, fan and shroud" and does not need to worry about clogging the air flow with another cooler then why is there a need for the other cooler??

We may be chasing what if's here.  As oil degrades from excess heat-- in the places it sees from very high temps-- in normal running engines--- the damage to the oil is done at that point. Cooling it after the fact seems like too late for the oil. :shruggy:

Buying good quality oil and changing it from time to time is what I do. :slap:

c00nhunterjoe

I would verify you have an oil temp problem 1st. I doubt you do unless you are doing road or rally racing.

flyinlow

I added a Jeg's Header style cooler to mine a few years ago. Mild build 446.  Mounted in front of the aftermarket aluminum radiator. The fan sensor is right behind it. The cooler made the fans come on faster at a traffic light. (more heat) I do not have a oil temp gauge. Reading the oil filter temp with a lazer thermometer after identical 30 mile runs , the temp dropped from 220 down to 190* I run Mobil 1 oil which can take 220* with ease. It probably does see higher temps inside the engine for short periods. I have a '73 and oil pan choices that don't hang below the cross member are limited. With the extra oil the cooler , adaptor and six feet of AN 10 lines take I get 6 qts. total in the engine. 
Does it need it.... :shruggy:  Would it help my engine if I got the chance to run the Daytona 500... I like to think so   :shruggy:  It was a little project I just decided to do.

With 3/4" silver soldered copper hard lines and AN 10 or bigger flexible lines it dose not seam to effect the oil pressure. I tried AN 8 first and saw a drop. Oil filter screws on top of the adaptor , still room for a long filter. A pain to blow the old oil out at oil change time.

Highbanked Hauler

I totally agree with the point that the radiator is far and above the most important part of the cooling system and at bare minimum I am going to strap a pusher fan with a toggle switch to it. The radiator pretty much handles the heat at driving speed its when I slow down that it goes off the scale hot and adding an oil cooler is not going to cure the problem and I wondered if it would help "some". Probably a 6 quart oil pan would help as much. I have used 15-40 Rotilla diesel oil in it for years so I feel the quality of it is good and your right about chasing what ifs .   Like ( Flyinlow ) said it was a little project I decided to do, mine is in the thinking about stage right now. :popcrn:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

flyinlow

One thing I wonder about is the life of the flex lines. There is six feet of Russell AN 10 stainless lines. Still rubber lined.  Five years...sure, ten years.. probably time to change. I don't want deteriorated rubber chunks in the oil.

The oil comes out of the pump thru the adaptor to the cooler, back to the adaptor where it is filtered ,then to the engine.