News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will ZDDP kill my O2 sensors?

Started by flyinlow, July 27, 2016, 04:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

As I try to drag my 45 year old Chargers kicking and screaming in to the 21st century I have fuel injected one and the other has a wide band A/F gauge. Both have Bosch O2 sensors just behind the headers.  I use Mobil 1 15-50 which has older levels of zinc + a 1/2 bottle of Comp Cam break in for good measures at oil change.

Long term will this poison the sensor?

TommyGun

I wouldn't worry about it. Do you daily drive your car or only occasionally? Probably wouldn't hurt to not add any more additive than is actually needed.

c00nhunterjoe

My 07 had 150k on it with no issues. I ran lucas 5/20 with a bottle of zddp in it. My 06 silverado has just crested the 150k mark running mobil1 5/30 and a bottle of zddp with no issues either.

funknut

You'd have to be burning pretty significant amounts of oil to worry about ZDDP.

Plus, fuel injection was phased in in the late 80s and ZDDP levels weren't reduced until the late 90s, so there was a good decade or so when most new cars were running with o2 sensors and ZDDP without any systemic problems.

I wouldn't sweat it.   :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

Zddp was removed to save catalytic converters. Its long gone and converters are still failing like crazy. I still say it was a ploy to make engines not last as long so you buy new cars.