News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

STEERING BOX SPINNING TO LEFT WHEN STARTING CAR

Started by superbird6bbl, July 26, 2016, 01:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbird6bbl

I have one more major malfunction with my A13. I had the original steering box replaced a month ago or so because it was leaking from sitting so many years.(Since 1986.) My friend replaced it with a rebuilt unit. I drove the car home with no problems. The next day I decided to take the Bird for a short drive. When the engine started, the steering wheel spun hard left. It took awhile before I could turn it back to center. After a few more times of it doing the same thing, he replaced it with another rebuilt unit from the same Rebuilder. First day it worked fine. Last two times that I drove it, hard left spin when starting it, but I can turn the wheel back to center at idle. While idling, a small tap of the accelerator pedal causes the steering wheel to turn left about a 1/4 inch??
Superbird6bbl, 69 Q5 SIX PACK Bee and 2011 Challenger SRT8 IE

303 Mopar

You need to barely loosen and slightly (barely tap) the valve body on top of the steering box to adjust so your wheels remain centered.  Make sure the front wheels are off the ground too.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 26, 2016, 02:17:36 PM
You need to barely loosen and slightly (barely tap) the valve body on top of the steering box to adjust so your wheels remain centered.  Make sure the front wheels are off the ground too.

superbird6bbl

Thank you Day Clona, I will give it a try.  PJ

superbird6bbl

You need to barely loosen and slightly (barely tap) the valve body on top of the steering box to adjust so your wheels remain centered.  Make sure the front wheels are off the ground too.

Thank you sir.

Highbanked Hauler

I have had that problem with 3 different boxes till I learned this on here.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

superbird6bbl

[/quote]  I have had that problem with 3 different boxes till I learned this on here.

This is my second one. My original didn't do this.  PJ

John_Kunkel

That diagram shows the wrong bolts, the two hex-head bolts between the arrows and the end plug are the ones you want to loosen.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

superbird6bbl