News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Suspension and Disk Brakes

Started by Marcl Ka, July 25, 2016, 02:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcl Ka

Hello,

Sorry it's a long time that I was here  :-\
I am looking for a better suspension for my 1970 Charger.
In summer it is a dayli driver but sometimes i want drive on the german Autobahn with 100mph
I do not drive it in winter.
Do you have some suggestions for me? First i was thinking about the Magnumforce Suspensions but i think it is to much for my little bit driving. The price is also very high.
I think it is enough that i buy some good shock absorbers. Or what you think?

My second plan is to get front and rear disk brakes. Can someone tell me some good dealer ?

Thank you  :cheers: :cheers:

Greetings from Germany

John_Kunkel

100 mph with well-tuned stock suspension should be no problem.

Doctor Diff offers front and rear disc brake kits.

http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/front/

http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/rear/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: Marcl Ka on July 25, 2016, 02:47:31 PM
Hello,

Sorry it's a long time that I was here  :-\
I am looking for a better suspension for my 1970 Charger.
In summer it is a dayli driver but sometimes i want drive on the german Autobahn with 100mph
I do not drive it in winter.
Do you have some suggestions for me? First i was thinking about the Magnumforce Suspensions but i think it is to much for my little bit driving. The price is also very high.
I think it is enough that i buy some good shock absorbers. Or what you think?

My second plan is to get front and rear disk brakes. Can someone tell me some good dealer ?

Thank you  :cheers: :cheers:

Greetings from Germany

Does the car feel bad now?  100 MPH should be no problem.    Maybe what you need is some new or better tires.    Those old cars were made before radials were so common so maybe a tire change and some shocks would be all you need.

Marcl Ka

Thanks for your response.
Ok sometimes 120mph  :icon_smile_big: . Yes it feels sometimes bad, like i am on ice.

Ok maybe only change shocks and tires?

HPP

Biggest improvement for speed would be a modern, radial friendly alignment. The original specification were only good for thin, bias ply tires. I'd recommend as much positive caster as  possible up to 5-6*. .5-1* negative caster. .5-1* toe in. Or, if you have computerized alignment machines that require an input vehicle, use 2005 Mustang GT specs.

If, after those changes it does not feel improved, then an inspection of all steering parts and bushings would be in order next to ensure you have a solid foundation that does not have any excessive play in any area.

The stock suspension was used up to 200 mph in years past, so they are capable if equiped with the right selection of components. You don't need to automaticall go to an aftermarket solution.

Dino

Change all the front bushings and look for wear on all the suspension parts. Replace where needed. Install Moog offset bushings in the upper control arms so to get positive caster and give it as much as it will take as mentioned by HPP. Replace the stock sway bar with a 1-7/8" bar. You can also install a rear sway bar but it is not a necessity. It may even give you too much over steer when you take your turns hard. If you do install one keep it in the 7/8" thickness range.

Get some wider tires up front and have a reputable shop do the alignment.

Lastly make sure your power steering box doesn't have any slop and also check the coupling between the steering column and steering box. You can buy a rebuilt kit for the coupler. The box can be adjusted a bit for tightness but if it's real loose you best rebuild or replace. Upgrading to stiffer internals would be great but costly. Installing an aftermarket Borgeson box will give you much tighter steering and its a smaller box, but it's even more costly. Still they are valid options.

Even with my old bushings my car tracks real nice but gets a little loose close to 140. I have my nose down a bit and the tail up so maybe the extra down force is helping to keep it stable up to that point.   ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Marcl Ka

Thank you guys  :cheers:

I want to buy polyurethane bushings and some Shocks.

Thank you  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

green69rt

Quote from: Marcl Ka on July 28, 2016, 04:53:27 PM
Thank you guys  :cheers:

I want to buy polyurethane bushings and some Shocks.

Thank you  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Probably a good idea.  You need to get the basic suspension in good shape before you make any modifications.

Mike DC

In order of importance, assuming it already has radial tires:

#1 - regular maintenance things.  Worn out bushings, ball joints, adjust steering gearbox knob, check for cracks in the K-frame around the lower control arm mounting tubes, etc.  (Also check the front end height adjustment, and setting it at the factory spec is probably higher than you want it.)  Check the coupler between the steering box & steering column for worn out rubber.

#2 - disc brakes, at the very least on the front wheels, so you don't get killed.  Any disc kit is better than front drums.

#3 - alignment set up for radial tires.

#4 - add caster to the front end alignment.  Get more than 2 degrees but less than 6.  You can achieve this with some combination of wheel alignment adjustments, using offset busings in the upper control arms, or using aftermarket upper control arms.

#5 - replace the steering box with an overhauled unit by Firm Feel Inc with the power assist level reduced a bit.  They can do several levels of reduction.

Give the car a good try with the first 4 things before you proceed to spend money & labor to change the steering gearbox.