News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New motor smokes

Started by comet_666, July 24, 2016, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Have about 52 miles on my new 512 but it stinks like heck and smokes a bit out the tail pipes. Is this just a break in thing?

ws23rt

Most likely it's a break in thing.  Like the engine paint cooking for example.
If the exhaust system is new or has new parts they likely have some oil residue that takes time to burn off.

c00nhunterjoe

Residue should be long gone after 50 miles. What color smoke? Stinks like what?

cdr

pull a spark plug & see what it looks like. if it is running very rich it can damage the engine.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on July 24, 2016, 06:28:57 PM
Have about 52 miles on my new 512 but it stinks like heck and smokes a bit out the tail pipes. Is this just a break in thing?

Probably not a "break in thing".

More likely a tuning thing.... which being a 512 Stroker, with unknown myriad of aftermarket parts from Cam to Intake... Carb, Dizzy, Fuel pressure, etc., etc., there unfortunately is no "column" to look under for tuning specs, nor "generalities" because they ALL respond differently !

This (the first 50 miles), is the worst time to experiment with tuning on a "new" Engine as it is critical to ring break-in and ultimate longevity of the Engine.

If the Engine was not Dyno tested and setup before delivery to you ?
I would suggest getting it on a Chassis Dyno for a proper Tune and setup immediately.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 24, 2016, 07:50:56 PM
Quote from: comet_666 on July 24, 2016, 06:28:57 PM

Probably not a "break in thing".

More likely a tuning thing.... which being a 512 Stroker, with unknown myriad of aftermarket parts from Cam to Intake... Carb, Dizzy, Fuel pressure, etc., etc., there unfortunately is no "column" to look under for tuning specs, nor "generalities" because they ALL respond differently !

This (the first 50 miles), is the worst time to experiment with tuning on a "new" Engine as it is critical to ring break-in and ultimate longevity of the Engine.

If the Engine was not Dyno tested and setup before delivery to you ?
I would suggest getting it on a Chassis Dyno for a proper Tune and setup immediately.

Probably the single best response you are going to get right there.  :2thumbs:

ws23rt

Since I posted on this I would like to bow to challenger340 and c00nhunterjoe.--

I started two new engines personally and I'm sure- they- have started many more than me. ;)
What I remember most from my start up's is the lasting smell of what I think was mostly engine paint cooking.
I have a basement garage and could smell my new engines in the house for days after running them. :shruggy:

cdr

also pull the oil dipstick & smell the oil , if it smells like gasoline & is thin, dont run it till you change the oil & fix the problem.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

comet_666

It was dyno tested before delivery (580/660)
Exhaust is not new however headers are new OBX stainless, and the rest has been modified a bit.
Its kind of a normal exhaust smell / look but more of it
Oil seems fine however the dipstick i have from 440 source is too short for the milodon 7qt center sump pan so it reads low.