News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tomorrow

Started by comet_666, July 22, 2016, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

As it stands right now, I am set to pick my car up tomorrow and drive it home! This will be the first time in almost 10 years I have driven it! I am so excited! This will also be the first time driving it with an automatic, a 512 stroker motor , 3.23 gears and the dakota digital dash.
The place is an hour away so I am a bit anxious of having "issues" on the drive back especially in the 90 degree heat. I do have AAA+ though and am having my gf follow me home just in case.
Any bits of advice?

ws23rt

Drive as fast as you can so you get home before something goes wrong. :D

I know what it feels like stepping out for a distance the first time. :2thumbs:   Your gf following and the AAA card are good items of comfort and would help put me at ease.

If you are ok with what your guages are telling you  (like the fuel guage for example :icon_smile_wink:)  I'd say you are set. :cheers:

b5blue

Ya may wanna drive around for a 1/2 hour or so just to cycle everything and shake things up a bit before heading back home. I can relate, I've done much to my car over the last few years and basically confirmed operation a bit then moved into the next change right away. Now that I've driven about 200 miles over the last month my trust is building back up to where it was. On the way home from work today I got to confirm my disk brake swap works as someone stopped in front of me in short order to do a goofy U turn in 45MPH traffic.  :eek2:
  Good Luck!  :2thumbs: 

Mike DC

Agreed.  Spend the first 20 minutes driving around but staying within a few miles of the shop.  Run it up to highway speed, go around town, etc. 

68X426

If something breaks/fails during the first test drive, is there somewhere along the way to "drop" it off?  Meaning one or two friends where it would be temporarily safe, and even fixable, so as to avoid the hassle of a tow? (a tow home and then another tow is a hassle).

Best wishes for success! :drive:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TexasStroker

Very nice...enjoy it!

I'd also discretely cruise around within close vicinity of the shop...that way, if something goes wrong, you can have them come help, lol.

I imagine everything will be fine...hope you have gas money  :icon_smile_cool:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

XH29N0G

I did the same.  The shop owner asked if he could drive it for a week or so to shake things loose.  His description was basically first he would drive around a bit, and then take it on a longer drive, etc.... and I let him (after all he had done all the work).  The trip was warm (I don't think 90's but it could have been).  and I started on back roads, but migrated to highways and beltways.  After 2.5 hours I was home, had a lot of thumbs up, and was very happy.  I hope your drive is as fun. 

If you don't have experience with the 512 or something like it in these cars, I would take it easy.  I babied it home, and then it took a while for me to learn how to drive.  If you are like many on here with experience driving cars like yours then ignore what I just wrote.  I went from a 383 to a fairly stout 452 and it completely changed the car.   :2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Patronus

Why don't you bring some tools, sockets n' such? You'll be sure to make it.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

comet_666

Thanks guys! I made it. 1 hiccup while getting gas. realized fuel return line was not attached to anything and wide open. Quickly fixed. Seemed to run at around 195 ish or 205. hard to tell with the dakota digital dash.

b5blue

Yea!!  :cheers: WTF...return line open or missing!  :eek2:  Now drive it bunches!  :2thumbs:

comet_666

Quote from: b5blue on July 24, 2016, 06:12:24 AM
Yea!!  :cheers: WTF...return line open or missing!  :eek2:  Now drive it bunches!  :2thumbs:
Wide open lol
I have to block it off now and get a gas cap.

keepat

very cool! congrats! So after ten years how was it driving your Charger??
Pat

ws23rt

:cheers:  This is what we (the folks that have extra long projects) need to here. 
It seems like the longer the project the greater the apprehension.

comet_666

It was a blast to drive but I was very anxious as well, in a way this still feels like the same car I have owned for over 20 years. I have had a bunch of thumbs up and people asking me about it. Not sure if people are rude or what but I have been asked 3x in 24 hrs how old I am. Who does that?

XH29N0G

Quote from: comet_666 on July 24, 2016, 06:58:00 PM
It was a blast to drive but I was very anxious as well, in a way this still feels like the same car I have owned for over 20 years. I have had a bunch of thumbs up and people asking me about it. Not sure if people are rude or what but I have been asked 3x in 24 hrs how old I am. Who does that?

Sounds great. 

Being asked how old you are is probably a good sign. 

:2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

M5Ivan

Being asked how old you are is probably a good sign. 
[/quote]

I think it depends on how old you are  ;)

Good luck, sounds like you're finally back in the saddle  :2thumbs:

holanae

Congrats.  I can't wait to drive mine home from the shop in a couple weeks.  I haven't driven it in 20 years either.  Can't wait.

lukedukem

I get that as well, i think some people find it hard to believe that someone young owns a car like this, I'm 37 but look younger and i get asked that a lot. usually followed by what i do for a living. i really don't like that question. its not what i do but how i have managed my money over the years. smart investments, and a lot of overtime and hard work have allowed me to have this car. then there's the people that think I'm just plain rich and loaded with cash. lol, not the case.
congrats on the ride, love the car.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

abe1968

Quote from: lukedukem on July 27, 2016, 08:12:30 AM

I get that as well, i think some people find it hard to believe that someone young owns a car like this, I'm 37 but look younger and i get asked that a lot. usually followed by what i do for a living. i really don't like that question. its not what i do but how i have managed my money over the years. smart investments, and a lot of overtime and hard work have allowed me to have this car. then there's the people that think I'm just plain rich and loaded with cash. lol, not the case.
congrats on the ride, love the car.

Luke
Same for me, people think I'm in my mid 20's but I'm 38 and I've had my 68 since I was 14yrs old. After high school I finally had scraped enough money together to finally get it on the road. It was my daily til I was about 23 then I had a few other cars so not much got done to it. Then my daily again for about 5 years and now I just drive it to work here and there and slowly fix what need to.

-Abe