News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The dimple?

Started by will, July 21, 2016, 06:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

I'm in the process of having an engine built with trick flow heads. I have also read about dimpling headers because of fitment issues on various builds. I have Headman shorties, which are ceramic coated. I don't know if I'll have to clearance them or not. I have an out by using 440 source heads, but the trick flows are at the shop. 440 stroker, Fitech efi. What is involved in dimpling? I have a set I can practice on. Which tubes need to be finessed?

XH29N0G

Others will be able to advise with more detail.  I asked a similar question once, but don't know where the thread is.  Basically, I was advised to figure out where the dimple needed to be.  Then to heat that area to cherry red (I believe) with a torch.  Then to place a socket against it and hit the other end of the socket with a heavy hammer.  And repeat as necessary.  It was not a horrible task (I am a novice) and it worked.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

will

Thanks for the info! I'm not really concerned about the horsepower, I just don't know what the clearance area is for. Is it in the spark plug area or is it for the steering box? I'm not averse to dinging them up, I just don't know where the persuasion needs to happen.

70 sublime

Not sure what happens if you bash up ceramic coated headers if all the coating will fall off ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

In my case, I figured out where to dimple by putting plugs in the heads and then marked where the headers were close or made contact.   I did not need to do much, but I needed to do enough to fit the boots on.  I think the ceramic was damaged (the dimples are on the underside so it is not obvious but I do not know if it will shorten their life).  Since doing this, I noticed that different plugs also can have different length ceramics.  This can work in your favor or against it.  I still cannot find the response when I asked a similar question, but will keep looking and post it if I find it. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....