News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This Real Dodge Charger Daytona Sold for $5000 at a Swap Meet

Started by lukedukem, July 20, 2016, 10:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

Sorry if this is a re-post, i didn't find anything on it. the pic in the article doesn't look like a Daytona. it sates the current state of the car and they have this pic. Edit: i read its a aspen body on it? and it started as a 68 charger  :shruggy:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a30013/swap-meet-charger-daytona-barn-find/

this might be in the wrong section, sorry

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Slowpoke

I read that story also, sounds like it did start as a 68 then a 69 rebody, Daytona, 70, gen 3, then finally an aspen. so what he got is not a wing car for $5000 but a real race car with some fascinating history that at one time was bodied as a Daytona. Not bad for 5grand.  :cheers:
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

charger_fan_4ever

How did they body swap a unibody car ????

Ive read before how it was done in nascar in the past. I could understand if it was a full frame car like an A body gm, but i dont see how with a unibody. They keep just the floors/framerails ?

crj1968

Drache

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 20, 2016, 01:10:04 PM
How did they body swap a unibody car ????

Ive read before how it was done in nascar in the past. I could understand if it was a full frame car like an A body gm, but i dont see how with a unibody. They keep just the floors/framerails ?

Don't think of the race cars as the same thing off the lot. Many of there were just "cages" where the body panels were then attached to the outside to make the car look like a certain year. Many of these internal "cages" were reused many years, sporting various models or years.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ws23rt

For $5000 just what is there that is left of a "Real Dodge Charger Daytona"?

It's an interesting and cool story but I wonder how the original parts are going to be kept with the parts history?

Used as a foundation to build the car as it left the dodge plant?    

These misc parts seemed to have been used in several car's lives all of which may have different values for bringing back to life. :scratchchin:

crj1968

Quote from: Drache on July 20, 2016, 05:15:19 PM

Don't think of the race cars as the same thing off the lot. Many of there were just "cages" where the body panels were then attached to the outside to make the car look like a certain year. Many of these internal "cages" were reused many years, sporting various models or years.

Ah yes- that makes much more sense as a race car

hemi-hampton

Why they say REAL Daytona ? Don't sound like it was ever a real Daytona. Just a real Charger.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

crj1968

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 20, 2016, 06:59:38 PM
Why they say REAL Daytona ? Don't sound like it was ever a real Daytona. Just a real Charger.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Headlines get clicks I guess.

"was once configured as a Daytona......"

ws23rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 20, 2016, 06:59:38 PM
Why they say REAL Daytona ? Don't sound like it was ever a real Daytona. Just a real Charger.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

A good question.------Could it be that the meaning of the word "REAL" in this case means only cars that were made to race on the "Daytona" track?

If that is the case then the "DAYTONAS" that came out of creative industries for the street are not the "REAL" deal. :slap:

This collector market moves in odd ways.  Hard to keep up with ways.   The poor flippers we live with are forever scrambling to keep up and make a living. :nana:

odcics2

Car started out as a Nichels Engineering 68 Charger. Updated to 69. Bay Darnell drove the heck out of it!
It was hemi orange.
Then added the "Daytona Package" for the Sept. 1971 Pocono 500 Usac stock car race with
Gary Bettenhausen driving. Painted Blue metallic. Sold as a "Daytona" to Harry Cooper. He showed it at a Chicago area Hot Rod Show.
Note the hemi orange paint on a bar in the interior. Also, the "200 mph" tape around the windshield.
Was then updated with a 1970 Charger front end and "de-winged".  Painted lime green.
Harry told me he put the parts at the curb for the trash guy!   
He raced it, then updated to 73 Charger skin. Painted Plum Crazy. More racing and finally sold off.
New owner "John" started to convert to Aspen sheetmetal and took a few inches out of the wheelbase,
behind the seat.   That's how it sat for decades, and still does!

Keep in mind that race Daytonas were ALL converted from Charger 500s, or just added the "Daytona" parts.
I know of NO street Daytonas that were converted directly into Nascar or USAC stock cars. 

Hope this info helps out.   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

Then Title should of said "Real Charger, Converted to Race Daytona, Then Converted to Late 70's Aspen sold for $5,000."  Or is that Title to long or not Deceiving enough? LEON.

5hunert

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 21, 2016, 11:28:03 PM
Then Title should of said "Real Charger, Converted to Race Daytona, Then Converted to Late 70's Aspen sold for $5,000."  Or is that Title to long or not Deceiving enough? LEON.
Or: Real Nichols chassis that was skinned as a Daytona at some point sold for $5k

Troy

Honestly, the fact that it's a real race car with a real history probably trumps the "Daytona" part. Don't get hung up on words.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Homerr

Steve Lehto's recent book on the Daytona and Superbird gives a good understanding of what Nichels Engineering did with the cars and how they evolved over time if anyone wants more on this.

Aero426

Quote from: ws23rt on July 20, 2016, 07:16:01 PM

A good question.------Could it be that the meaning of the word "REAL" in this case means only cars that were made to race on the "Daytona" track?

If that is the case then the "DAYTONAS" that came out of creative industries for the street are not the "REAL" deal. :slap:

This can be hard for folks to wrap their heads around.   But you must forget what you know about street Daytonas when it comes to the race cars.     They are different animals.    But both are Daytonas.   

Aero426

Here is a new Daytona under construction at Nichels.   As mentioned, whether it was a short track Charger,  a Charger 500 or a Daytona, these were all built from unserialized plain old Charger bodies.    Surface plate / fixture benches where the heavy work was done are to the right of the photo.

What is interesting about the Daytona is they already have the small trunk opening framed in with hinges, but there is no window plug installed yet.   To see a car being built as a new Daytona in the shop is a rare sight as the big chassis building boom occurred in 1968-69.    Most race Daytonas were converted with kits of parts.