News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEADLIGHT DOOR OPENING SPRINGS

Started by superbird6bbl, July 12, 2016, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbird6bbl

REALWING or anyone. I need a picture of the headlight door opening springs in place. Mine are there, but not attached to anything to keep them wound up and the doors open. REALWING did provide a picture for the turn signals and I have them mounted and working. PJ
Superbird6bbl, 69 Q5 SIX PACK Bee and 2011 Challenger SRT8 IE

Aero426

Leave the springs untensioned and you will never have your lights pop up when sitting.     :2thumbs:

The vacuum system provides enough "suck" to hold the lights up.     The springs are just a fail safe.   

superbird6bbl

Quote from: Aero426 on July 12, 2016, 11:28:11 AM
Leave the springs untensioned and you will never have your lights pop up when sitting.     :2thumbs:

The vacuum system provides enough "suck" to hold the lights up.     The springs are just a fail safe.   
Thank you, I never realized that or thought of it.

69_500

PJ,   Welcome to the site. This is Danny, just came to visit you the other day.

People here will be able to provide you with nearly any info on your Bird.

PettyMower

How difficult are the springs to remove while the nose assembly is completely intact, and installed on the car?

moparstuart

if you still need a picture I have some
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: PettyMower on July 12, 2016, 09:04:46 PM
How difficult are the springs to remove while the nose assembly is completely intact, and installed on the car?
easy you just have to take the grille out

69_500

Post up Stu. He still needs pics because I am taking too long to find them here on my hard drives.

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn:

PettyMower

I'm familiar with the springs, and where they are located.

Years ago, I heard about removing them, I removed the grille, and by hand got an idea of how much spring tension was on the springs. It felt like quite a bit, and I never made an attempt to actually remove. Was sorta worried about the spring unwinding at a high rate with my hand in it's way.  LOL

moparstuart

Quote from: PettyMower on July 12, 2016, 09:44:55 PM
I'm familiar with the springs, and where they are located.

Years ago, I heard about removing them, I removed the grille, and by hand got an idea of how much spring tension was on the springs. It felt like quite a bit, and I never made an attempt to actually remove. Was sorta worried about the spring unwinding at a high rate with my hand in it's way.  LOL
can be dangerous  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparnation74

Similar spring as the side glass mechanisms.......try to remove one from an old set....yes, it can be dangerous

superbird6bbl

Quote from: 69_500 on July 12, 2016, 08:40:55 PM
PJ,   Welcome to the site. This is Danny, just came to visit you the other day.

People here will be able to provide you with nearly any info on your Bird.

Hi Danny, son of the former owner of my Superbird. It was good to see your Dad and you and your car. The Bird is coming along. The steering box went bad and a new one will be here Friday. The vacuum switch for the headlights appears to be defective also and a replacement has been located. The actuators are working as are the headlights. Hopefully this Saturday I will be laying rubber with it again.

superbird6bbl

Quote from: moparstuart on July 12, 2016, 09:05:23 PM
if you still need a picture I have some

That would be great. We are guessing at where the spring connects to for the tension. The springs are still mounted, just not connected to have tension.

superbird6bbl

Quote from: moparstuart on July 12, 2016, 09:29:06 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn:
Thank you Stu, the two small brackets are missing from my car.  PJ

thehemikid

Anyone ever get "giggles" from bumps in the road from their head lights without the springs?  Or is that mainly a bump stop/linkage slop deal.

superbird6bbl

We have solved the spring problem. The new steering box is in the car and appears to be working, but won't know until the vacuum lever for the headlight switch comes in Tuesday. In the meantime I found out that the used Tic Tock Tach that I purchased a few years ago for big bucks doesn't work, as far as the clock part. I will have to get the dash back together before I find out about the tach. I have the original piece out and ready to send off for a rebuild. Who would you guys recommend?  PJ

RealWing

I left my springs off. I hate seeing a door part open due to slow vacuum leaks!!!!
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

superbird6bbl

Quote from: RealWing on July 15, 2016, 08:33:20 PM
I left my springs off. I hate seeing a door part open due to slow vacuum leaks!!!!
We used a existing hole and connected the springs there. There isn't much tension and the doors close slowly without any vacuum applied. If that doesn't work when we get the dash back in, then I will unhook them. Thanks again for your help and advice.  PJ

CornDogsCharger

Yes, it gets pretty hair when you try to remove the springs.  They will definitely bite you! haha  I think the main reason for them being there was for safety purposes as well.  Say you were driving your car at night and then the engine shut off for whatever reason.  Without the springs, the headlight doors would drop and then your headlights will no longer shine on the road.  I still prefer no springs.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

superbird6bbl

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 16, 2016, 08:10:19 AM
Yes, it gets pretty hair when you try to remove the springs.  They will definitely bite you! haha  I think the main reason for them being there was for safety purposes as well.  Say you were driving your car at night and then the engine shut off for whatever reason.  Without the springs, the headlight doors would drop and then your headlights will no longer shine on the road.  I still prefer no springs.

Justin
"CornDog"
Sounds good. Mine are setup quite a bit weaker and they don't stay up very long when disconnecting the vacuum hoses.

PettyMower

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 16, 2016, 08:10:19 AM

Justin
"CornDog"

My springs are still in place, and I added tethers that hold the buckets down. The only downside is having to pop the hood to use the headlights. But it only takes a second to unhook. (The tethers are tied to the buckets on one end, and have an extension spring on the other. The loop of the spring slips over the threads of a bolt in the Z-bracket area.)

If you ever have one shut off on you, be prepared, cuz you're in for some serious "white-knuckleing". Without the power assist the steering and brakes are almost non existent. Been there, done that....NOT FUN!!! After cooling down, it would fire back up. First changed the coil....drove it many miles, thought that was the fix, then it cut off AGAIN. Turned out to be the Orange ECU that came with the Mopar Performance Electronic Conversion Kit. Thankfully had a toolbox and spare ECU in the trunk. Be safe out there.....and prepared.

superbird6bbl

If you ever have one shut off on you, be prepared, cuz you're in for some serious "white-knuckleing". Without the power assist the steering and brakes are almost non existent. Been there, done that....NOT FUN!!! After cooling down, it would fire back up. First changed the coil....drove it many miles, thought that was the fix, then it cut off AGAIN. Turned out to be the Orange ECU that came with the Mopar Performance Electronic Conversion Kit. Thankfully had a toolbox and spare ECU in the trunk. Be safe out there.....and prepared.
Thank you. I am running the Orange ECU also with the Conversion kit. So far no problems. I might take it to the Drag Strip this Friday night for Test & Tune night.