News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did you install and/or brace your fiberglass Superbird clone window plug?

Started by oldcarnut, July 10, 2016, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I called Ted a while back and he took the time to tell me some lengthy instructions using some 1/2" angle to set it on and other procedures for installing which I was appreciative of his taking the time to go over it with me.  I finally got some time months afterwards and the 1/2" angle at the store here was out so I bought this 1/2 square steel tubing instead and bent it to form around the lip. I'll probably screw it in from underneath and tack weld a few places. Anybody got their own photos of how they did it or do I need to really go with the 1/2" angle?  Just asking before I start drilling and welding.

Iowa_gator

So the plug DOESN'T  just fit into the existing structure?...good to know, maybe good I kept the original back window.

oldcarnut

Can somebody post a pic of the underside of the plug with the teeth attached I can use as a guide.  A pic of one out the car would be really appreciated.

Redbird

It seems that you have 2 basically incompatable materials. What could go wrong?

oldcarnut

I have a steel one I got that was supposed to be top notch but by the the time I have to form it to fit, weld on the teeth and trunk support flanges and the amount of mud/glass it will take to get the right contours, not unlike the originals,  I don't see what the difference is.  At least the glass one is already shaped right.  Just trying to make lemonade out of what I got.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on August 27, 2016, 03:46:35 PM
It seems that you have 2 basically incompatable materials. What could go wrong?

In a Daytona application the fiberglass plug just doesn't cut it structurally because of the 2 different coefficients, inevitably the plug breaks the molded in bond resulting in cracks/telegraphing/etc, the Superbird plug is more of a "bonded on" structure with the visible seams being hidden inside the trunk gutter, and under the corner bolt on triangles, along with a vinyl top, even if the plug was to crack/telegraph under the vinyl it would appear very much like some factory installs of the steel plug's appearance. if one were looking for a molded in finish of a fiberglass Superbird plug like that of a Daytona finish, then the bonded/molded failure is inevitable resulting in visible cracks/telegraphing  

DAY CLONA

Quote from: oldcarnut on July 10, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
I called Ted a while back and he took the time to tell me some lengthy instructions using some 1/2" angle to set it on and other procedures for installing which I was appreciative of his taking the time to go over it with me.  I finally got some time months afterwards and the 1/2" angle at the store here was out so I bought this 1/2 square steel tubing instead and bent it to form around the lip. I'll probably screw it in from underneath and tack weld a few places. Anybody got their own photos of how they did it or do I need to really go with the 1/2" angle?  Just asking before I start drilling and welding.

FYI...go with the angle iron, the box is too thick, you only need the lip of the angle to support and bond the outer perimeter of the plug to it, the underside plates/teeth can be bonded on

here's a few pics saved...

oldcarnut

Thanks for the pics.  I had already went ahead and finished what I did before I saw the post but I think I got it close.  Spot welded on the boxed supports and bolted from underneath.  Made a few cuts on the existing RR teeth to get around the lip after seeing how it was positioned around the original window frame.  I took some 1/8 x 3/4 alum and made some backing strips to 1/4-20 bolt the teeth on to the molded glass flanges.

oldcarnut

Got the plug predrilled/bolted for mockup and tested the glass for fit.  Glass curve is a little off the plug curve but shouldn't be too much to deal with.  It looks like to me it should all blend in ok