News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**BEWARE OF SOUTHERN MOTORS** 68 charger 440 six pack

Started by GTSilver, July 09, 2016, 04:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

::) That's all fine and dandy but when you flip cars in that price class, you can't go by hearsay.  :slap:
It's the business' responsibility to KNOW what they have in their show room.

68X426

Quote from: Lennard on July 30, 2016, 11:48:39 AM

Yes but only when the business owner has ethics.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Lennard

Quote from: 68X426 on July 30, 2016, 12:22:32 PM

Yes but only when the business owner has ethics.  :yesnod:
This is true ;)

Mopar Nut

If the dealer, Southern Motors are in business of buying top dollar cars to flip, they should have a paint meter, easy to check for bondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_435767357&feature=iv&src_vid=DVsND7LyG-U&v=9NrqVSk2g9U

Or a fridge magnet.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

hemi-hampton

I wouldn't say a paint meter is to accurate, I've stripped cars that had 7 or 8 paint jobs from 7 different owners past 30 years which makes all that paint pretty thick. LEON.

ECS

::) That's all fine and dandy but when you flip cars in that price class, you can't go by hearsay.  :slap:

I completely agree but to say that someone told a "lie" because they took someone at their word is not necessarily factual.  It would also be difficult to "know" the restoration aspects unless you were there when the work was being done.  The only way to truly "know" would be to strip the paint off of the car.  As that point, anyone buying a restored car should be prepared to completely redo the cosmetic work that they ruined during their "destructive inspection".  
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Lennard

::) That's why people nowadays take pictures during a restoration.
I plan on never selling my 68 Charger but if I ever have to, I have plenty of pictures to proof that it has brand new sheet metal and no bondo and that the work was done right. The same goes for rebuilt engines.

ECS

Quote from: Lennard on July 30, 2016, 10:43:41 PM
::) That's why people nowadays take pictures during a restoration.

That's not completely fail proof.  I know people who have "borrowed" photos of work that was done on other people's cars and claimed it was theirs.  I've had it happen to me (about my work) on a few occasions.  

Kern Dog

How many guys responding to this thread have ever done bodywork? I would guess very few because everyone has used the word "BONDO".
Bondo is a brand name, much like Kleenex, Coke, Xerox, etc.
Body filler is made by many different companies, Bondo is just one that many non body guys seem to remember.
There is nothing wrong with using body filler as long as it is used properly. The factory used it. Custom shops use it. High end builders use it. You can skim a body panel with 1/8" thick filler and block sand the whole thing down to where it varies from 1/16" to a few thousandths thick. A magnet will not stick to that, it will not fail or crack and the body looks nice.
Ever try to get a car body laser straight by metal work alone? The cost would bankrupt you if the car needs quarters, trunk floor, multiple scuffs and dings, etc.
On the orange car, the lower corner seams could have been welded and finished smooth. It would be easy to tell with a magnet. I think they look cleaner welded.
The car is not perfect but what car is? I understand that the expectations for a $50,000 car are going to be high but some people love to bash.   When they see threads like these, they lose their wits. Having said that, I do feel that It is good to have fair and constructive criticism. It is great that many members here stepped in to help GT Silver on this car. I do agree that it was overpriced but Dealers are not charities. They are in business NOT to lose money, NOT to provide a free service but to make a living. Free enterprise. Capitalism. Buy low sell high.
Those that thought the car was only worth $35,000 or so may be right, maybe not. Opinions will vary. The guys that undervalue body and paintwork are often the very same guys that have ZERO experience with it.  When it looks great, you have no idea how much work went into it unless you saw the car before the work began.

Lennard

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

G-man

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 30, 2016, 11:36:46 PM
How many guys responding to this thread have ever done bodywork? I would guess very few because everyone has used the word "BONDO".
Bondo is a brand name, much like Kleenex, Coke, Xerox, etc.
Body filler is made by many different companies, Bondo is just one that many non body guys seem to remember.
There is nothing wrong with using body filler as long as it is used properly. The factory used it. Custom shops use it. High end builders use it. You can skim a body panel with 1/8" thick filler and block sand the whole thing down to where it varies from 1/16" to a few thousandths thick. A magnet will not stick to that, it will not fail or crack and the body looks nice.
Ever try to get a car body laser straight by metal work alone? The cost would bankrupt you if the car needs quarters, trunk floor, multiple scuffs and dings, etc.
On the orange car, the lower corner seams could have been welded and finished smooth. It would be easy to tell with a magnet. I think they look cleaner welded.
The car is not perfect but what car is? I understand that the expectations for a $50,000 car are going to be high but some people love to bash.   When they see threads like these, they lose their wits. Having said that, I do feel that It is good to have fair and constructive criticism. It is great that many members here stepped in to help GT Silver on this car. I do agree that it was overpriced but Dealers are not charities. They are in business NOT to lose money, NOT to provide a free service but to make a living. Free enterprise. Capitalism. Buy low sell high.
Those that thought the car was only worth $35,000 or so may be right, maybe not. Opinions will vary. The guys that undervalue body and paintwork are often the very same guys that have ZERO experience with it.  When it looks great, you have no idea how much work went into it unless you saw the car before the work began.

That is all nice, but the dealer clearly stated the car was free of all the stuff it was not free from.

So why keep the deposit when the mistake is on the dealers end stating it was free of everything it wasn't free from?

Business are in to make money, but ethics state "Well I did not know this car had these problems, I was under the impression it was free from all these things... I am not experienced in body restoration I am just a sales man trying to sell cars and I went off what I was told. Would you like your deposit back, or any other way we can help you and finalise the transaction?"

That would be the right thing to do.

Offer the customer the money back or if he wants to proceed with the purchase you can see how you can help him.

To state dealerships are not in for charity... is senseless, because this one is clearly in it to screw you over.

No different to HLGAY-HLPAG-HPFAG or whatever the hell that company was called.

Kern Dog

It may surprise you but I agree with G-Man. I have no arguement against you guys on that.
I was objecting to what appeared to be a negative opinion on body filler.  Some guys will chant that the car has "No Bondo" when they should say "It isn't loaded up with body filler". Steel and fiberglass have imperfections that need to be addressed somehow. Dings in metal stretch and distort the panel. The NON body filler repairs are limited to hammer-dolly work, heating and quenching, the use of lead OR several coats of high build primer. Each of these methods have their pluses ans minuses.

ECS

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 31, 2016, 12:45:11 PM
Some guys will chant that the car has "No Bondo" when they should say "It isn't loaded up with body filler".

Technically, the guy may have been telling the absolute truth!  The car may not have had an ounce of "bondo" on it.  It could however, have had gallons of some other brand of Body Filler.  :lol:

polywideblock

I think  "bog" is the word everyone is try for   :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

Quote from: ECS on July 31, 2016, 12:53:27 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 31, 2016, 12:45:11 PM
Some guys will chant that the car has "No Bondo" when they should say "It isn't loaded up with body filler".

Technically, the guy may have been telling the absolute truth!  The car may not have had an ounce of "bondo" on it.  It could however, have had gallons of some other brand of Body Filler.  :lol:

Yes.     :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: polywideblock on July 31, 2016, 01:02:47 PM
I think  "bog" is the word everyone is try for   :scratchchin:

yeah  , bog  ,  not heard it called that in a while  ,  bog it up !   guy I use to work with  , went to work  down under for a while ,   in a body/ paint shop , come back with all sorts of Oz  terminology   :yesnod:  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Troy

Really? It's common for brand names become part of vocabulary. Not every inline skate is a "Rollerblade" but it's acceptable to interchange the words. It may not be technically correct but no one cares (ok, not too terribly many people care). Sucks for whoever owns the Copyright.

It's also acceptable to find a "skim coat" of some sort of filler - but not globs filling dents or crappy welds that are 1/4"+ deep. When someone says "Bondo free" they don't mean absolutely 100% no filler anywhere. Too many times a "cheap" repaint involves little or no metal work and, instead, "sculpting" the body out of plastic filler.

I guess we need a car selling format so every single detail of a car can be accurately categorized...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Lee

Quote from: Troy on July 31, 2016, 02:01:02 PM
Really? It's common for brand names become part of vocabulary.

Get cut, who asks for an "adhesive bandage"? Most folks ask for a Band Aid.

68X426

Really? It's common for brand names become part of vocabulary.

Every Charger is a Mopar, but not every Mopar is a Charger.

Every Hellcat is a Challenger, but not every Challenger is a Hellcat.

The members here who have BBodies that aren't Chargers are used to the public calling our cars Chargers.  It's routine that I get asked what year did Charger start making the Road Runner model.  And my Challenger R/T is now a Hellcat to most of the public.    :lol:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Bondo is so universal it is both a noun and a verb. 

Quite an achievement for an automotive repair putty, a mix of talc and plastic, introduced in 1955.  It was developed by World War II veteran and automotive repair shop owner Robert Merton Spink of Miami, Florida. [Wikipedia]

Bondo Bob was real, even if his invention isn't:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/news-journalonline/obituary.aspx?n=robert-merton-spink&pid=145769198

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Lennard

Really? It's common for brand names become part of vocabulary. Not every inline skate is a "Rollerblade" but it's acceptable to interchange the words. It may not be technically correct but no one cares (ok, not too terribly many people care). Sucks for whoever owns the Copyright.

It's also acceptable to find a "skim coat" of some sort of filler - but not globs filling dents or crappy welds that are 1/4"+ deep. When someone says "Bondo free" they don't mean absolutely 100% no filler anywhere. Too many times a "cheap" repaint involves little or no metal work and, instead, "sculpting" the body out of plastic filler.

I guess we need a car selling format so every single detail of a car can be accurately categorized...

Troy

Thanks for taking the time to type that out Troy.  I thought about doing that for a second and thought... nah.
Common sense isn't common anymore.

1970Moparmann

That is what i've trying to get across.   :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ECS

Quote from: Lennard on July 31, 2016, 03:18:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time to type that out Troy.  I thought about doing that for a second and thought... nah.
Common sense isn't common anymore.

It has nothing to do with common sense.  In this case, it boils down to being legal or illegal.  Try using "common sense" as a stance in a legal matter.  You'll be on the losing end of the equation.