News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**BEWARE OF SOUTHERN MOTORS** 68 charger 440 six pack

Started by GTSilver, July 09, 2016, 04:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

I'm still embarrassed that I allowed myself to get "duked" by Southern Motors.   When I stripped the car, I contacted David Witt right away, and he was a complete ass.   He said the car was purchased "as/is" and it isn't his problem.   I filed a BBB complaint, but because they had a good rating, it didn't mean shit.  

Needless to say, I learned a lot because of my experience, and have always tried to steer people in the correct direction so they don't get screwed like I did.   I let my emotions of wanting the car get to me, and I paid the price.  

It's a cool car and already have some good family memories in the car.    Each year I try and get it to a higher tier, but I will always look at it as "the car that I got screwed on".  

I hope people that read this and watch out for when they are in the market.   Do your homework, don't make an impulse decision, and if the car is "restored", make sure you see pictures of documentation.  If there is no documentation, like with my Coronet, RUN...... Those that show pictures, and documentation, are proud of the work they did - those that don't, are hiding things......

Homerr

Thanks for sharing your experience Mike.  I'm sure it will help others out.   :2thumbs:

GTSilver

Quote from: Homerr on July 21, 2016, 01:26:12 PM
Have you started a BBB complaint?

Sorry if it may sound dumb but what is a BBB complaint ?

Thanks

70 sublime

Better Business Bureau

Rates companies other people can see results
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

1970Moparmann

Mine was thrown out by BBB when I filed mine.  I filed the claim, then they talked to David Witt and dismissed the claim.  It's a shame how deceptive companies have the upper hand.....

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Homerr on July 21, 2016, 07:38:26 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Mike.  I'm sure it will help others out.   :2thumbs:

It was a very painful experience.  Unfortunately it happened, but it also helped me when a flipped a bunch of cars to fund my Charger. 

The Coronet received new quarters, a better paint job, and all the crappy work was fixed. 

Lennard

Holy sh!t. It looks like a blind guy welded that quarter.  :eek2:

TPR

Quote from: GTSilver on July 21, 2016, 10:02:41 AM

However I got an email from him today stating that if I take off my review on google he will be happy to refund me back my deposit and he also took off his reply on google. Please see the attachments in the next posts.

This is a positive sign as far as getting your money back, but in the long run, removing your negative feedback only increases the chance of the next guy getting stung.
Do what you have to do, at least the problem won't be yours anymore I guess.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

bakerhillpins

I'd make sure you get the refund BEFORE you take anything down.   :yesnod:   :RantExplode:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hemi-hampton

People would be surprised to know how many cars are done this way (earl scheibed low quaility) & out there. Many under those shiny paint jobs. LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 22, 2016, 01:07:14 PM
People would be surprised to know how many cars are done this way (earl scheibed low quaility) & out there. Many under those shiny paint jobs. LEON.

Lots of truth here. Id never buy a "done" car in paint for top dollar unless there was photo evidence of it on bare metal. :Twocents:

I have no issue with putty used as filler to smooth things out i mean its a must really imo, But when putty is used as cover up for rust thats down right evil and usually only done for a quick flip.

Back N Black

Driver fender with a dent with BONDO -

[/quote]

If i was ripped off like that, I would be in jail.

ht4spd307

what gets me is those type of repairs would actually take less time to repair if done correctly.that quarter panel from all the welding would take longer to repair than if they replaced the 1/4 correctly and spot welded it. freak-en dump asses

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 21, 2016, 05:07:06 PM
I'm still embarrassed that I allowed myself to get "duked" by Southern Motors.   When I stripped the car, I contacted David Witt right away, and he was a complete ass.   He said the car was purchased "as/is" and it isn't his problem.   I filed a BBB complaint, but because they had a good rating, it didn't mean shit.  

Needless to say, I learned a lot because of my experience, and have always tried to steer people in the correct direction so they don't get screwed like I did.   I let my emotions of wanting the car get to me, and I paid the price.  

It's a cool car and already have some good family memories in the car.    Each year I try and get it to a higher tier, but I will always look at it as "the car that I got screwed on".  

I hope people that read this and watch out for when they are in the market.   Do your homework, don't make an impulse decision, and if the car is "restored", make sure you see pictures of documentation.  If there is no documentation, like with my Coronet, RUN...... Those that show pictures, and documentation, are proud of the work they did - those that don't, are hiding things......

Mike is your RT vert a factory LL1 turquoise car?

Carsten

XH29N0G

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 21, 2016, 08:37:54 PM
Mine was thrown out by BBB when I filed mine.  I filed the claim, then they talked to David Witt and dismissed the claim.  It's a shame how deceptive companies have the upper hand.....
Quote from: GTSilver on July 21, 2016, 07:56:01 PM
Quote from: Homerr on July 21, 2016, 01:26:12 PM
Have you started a BBB complaint?

Sorry if it may sound dumb but what is a BBB complaint ?

Thanks

My personal opinion is that people should report to BBB when things like this come up.  If their policy was to throw it out because the other reports were good, they won't know there is a problem until more come in.  Then they have to report it or the BBB is not doing its job.  I use the BBB and just taught my son who is a teenager to use it too.  The BBB needs to maintain its credibility.  So if you have a complaint about the company, I would keep following up and provide evidence.  Those pictures should be sent to the BBB (I assume you did) and the others should also send in their complaints if they arise.  This is a service to the community.  If the company is not truly bad then there will not be a lot of complaints and we customers can decide.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

1970Moparmann

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on July 22, 2016, 06:40:36 PM
Carsten

It is!   Here is a picture of it after the body work and paint -

1970Moparmann

Quote from: XH29N0G on July 22, 2016, 07:18:12 PM

My personal opinion is that people should report to BBB when things like this come up.  If their policy was to throw it out because the other reports were good, they won't know there is a problem until more come in.  Then they have to report it or the BBB is not doing its job.  I use the BBB and just taught my son who is a teenager to use it too.  The BBB needs to maintain its credibility.  So if you have a complaint about the company, I would keep following up and provide evidence.  Those pictures should be sent to the BBB (I assume you did) and the others should also send in their complaints if they arise.  This is a service to the community.  If the company is not truly bad then there will not be a lot of complaints and we customers can decide.

Like I said earlier, they got Southern Motors side of the story and decided to throw my complaint out.   I even talked to someone explaining my frustration with them throwing out the complaint, and it went no where.   I was really disgusted!

XH29N0G

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 22, 2016, 09:11:08 PM
Quote from: XH29N0G on July 22, 2016, 07:18:12 PM

My personal opinion is that people should report to BBB when things like this come up.  If their policy was to throw it out because the other reports were good, they won't know there is a problem until more come in.  Then they have to report it or the BBB is not doing its job.  I use the BBB and just taught my son who is a teenager to use it too.  The BBB needs to maintain its credibility.  So if you have a complaint about the company, I would keep following up and provide evidence.  Those pictures should be sent to the BBB (I assume you did) and the others should also send in their complaints if they arise.  This is a service to the community.  If the company is not truly bad then there will not be a lot of complaints and we customers can decide.

Like I said earlier, they got Southern Motors side of the story and decided to throw my complaint out.   I even talked to someone explaining my frustration with them throwing out the complaint, and it went no where.   I was really disgusted!

I appreciate what you tried to do and was advocating that others bring it up if they had issues because that is a good way to alert people like me to be cautious.

By the way, your car looks great. :2thumbs:

Or maybe it protects us. 

1970Moparmann

Thanks.   No one likes to be taken advantage of..... over the years if someone would ask for my input, I always got on a soapbox to make sure you check the car out good, or have someone else do it.   This car, actually looked pretty damn good when I bought it.   The day that I saw issues, was a hot day when the bondo was shrinking and showing it's face.   

I just hate to hear when people are  taken advantage of.   That HLPAG in Lake Villa, IL was notorious for selling crap cars that had a ton of bondo on them.   They bought some of my old parts to my Charger that I wound up replacing because they were bad....

Thanks for the comment!   Over the years I have eventually fell in love with the car.  Not going to lie, it took a solid 7 years, but I'm enjoying it now with the family.    Been working on the engine compartment for the last few months and will finally get it back on the road.   

71 SE3834V

The BBB is a joke!
Years ago my wife & I had a problem with a home builder. We were approved for a loan by a mortgage company that he recommended only to find out he owned the mortgage co. Our bank said no way after a deposit was already paid. We were young and dumb. Tried to get deposit back. Contacted BBB. After submitting forms we were told that the contractor sat on the BBB board so nothing they could do.
Fast forward a few years. I've been in my own business for a while and I get contacted by the BBB. For a "fee" I too could be a "member in good standing". So apparently you can buy your way into the BBB. No thanks! My customers sent me all the work I could handle by their recommendations.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

G-man

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 22, 2016, 05:54:59 AM
I'd make sure you get the refund BEFORE you take anything down.   :yesnod:   :RantExplode:

I would make sure to get my refund first and then change my mind about removing the post. :icon_smile_big:

XH29N0G

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on July 22, 2016, 10:42:17 PM
The BBB is a joke!
Years ago my wife & I had a problem with a home builder. We were approved for a loan by a mortgage company that he recommended only to find out he owned the mortgage co. Our bank said no way after a deposit was already paid. We were young and dumb. Tried to get deposit back. Contacted BBB. After submitting forms we were told that the contractor sat on the BBB board so nothing they could do.
Fast forward a few years. I've been in my own business for a while and I get contacted by the BBB. For a "fee" I too could be a "member in good standing". So apparently you can buy your way into the BBB. No thanks! My customers sent me all the work I could handle by their recommendations.

Interesting, Thanks for posting.

Or maybe it protects us. 

hemi-hampton

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 22, 2016, 09:08:07 PM
Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on July 22, 2016, 06:40:36 PM
Carsten

It is!   Here is a picture of it after the body work and paint -

looks great now !

Do you have an old pic from before the resto, too?

Carsten